Author Topic: Unused UFO maps in the vanilla game  (Read 4908 times)

Offline grzegorj

• Captain
  • grzegorj and Sherlock are my nicknames...
    • View Profile
    • X-COM
Unused UFO maps in the vanilla game
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:54:22 am »
The original game contains some unused files, including several unused UFO maps: UFO1B, PSCOUT, UFO000, UFO010, PHARVEST, PABDUCT. I would like to restore them back to life as new variants of the existing UFOs. However, there is a problem with it.

Mods like Luke's Extra UFOs, are based on a premise that all variants of a given UFO type (e.g. UFO_110, ox_ufo1, ox_ufo1b, etc. - variants of Medium Scout) use the same tilesets (mapDataSets) in the same order (in the given example:  BLANKS, U_EXT02, U_WALL02, U_BITS, UFOL83). But in order to use the extra UFO maps that are present (and unused) in the game, we do need another tilesets than the basic, well-know, vanilla variants of UFOs.

For example, to bring UFO1B to life as another variant of Small Scout it is enough to make a new MCD/PCK/TAB set (let's say, UFO0) of the existing UFO1 set, by removing the first tile (which is duplicated besides).

But the existing syntax seems to exclude such an option, cf.:

- type: STR_SMALL_SCOUT
    size: STR_VERY_SMALL
    sprite: 0
    damageMax: 50
    speedMax: 2200
    accel: 12
    power: 0
    range: 0
    score: 50
    reload: 56
    breakOffTime: 200
    battlescapeTerrainData:
      name: UFO1A
      mapDataSets:
        - BLANKS
        - UFO1
      mapBlocks:
        - name: UFO1A
          width: 10
          length: 10
        - name: UFO1B
          width: 2
          length: 2

It will not work: the variable mapDataSets is defined BEFORE the list of variants (here: UFO1A and UFO1B) and not within each single UFO type description, so it is common for both variants.

The first question is: is it possible to define a specific mapDataSets variable for each single UFO variant within the same UFO type -  for instance different tilesets for UFO1A and UFO1B, both being variants of Small Scout?

The second question is: will the game function well with such a strange map, of width = 2 and length = 2?

I know that there is another, very simple solution: to add one to each single non-zero byte inside UFO1B.MAP, and then it will work with UFO1 tileset. And, in case of problems, to enlarge the map to the size of 10 x 10. But I am asking for curiosity...

In order to revive other unused UFO variants, present in the game but unused, we need special tileset(s). So, to have both the well-known vanilla, basic UFO variants along with the revived ones (if the tilesets making will succeed...), we will need different tilesets for various UFO variants within one UFO type, and we will not avoid this (unlike in the case of UFO1B).

And the third question is: has anybody tried to bring PSCOUT, UFO000, UFO010, PHARVEST and PABDUCT back to life yet? Or I am the first one who has ever thought about it?

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Unused UFO maps in the vanilla game
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:07:16 am »
I see some of those ufo names in Solarious's mod

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:23:27 pm »
There's already a thread about this unused maps made by Luke83 IIRC.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:29:02 pm »

No, I haven't used any of this, all my maps were made from scratch.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:52:00 pm »
Here is link to the Pyramid UFO's Bombbloke showed me these a few years back, i started expanding them ( an still have some more expansions to go) but if you want to continue on let me know and i will upload my current build.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2576.0

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:16:29 am »

I apologize for the mistake,
already  I looked Luke's Pyramid mapdata set too ... :-[