Author Topic: [ARMOR] Gas-mask equipment  (Read 10606 times)

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
[ARMOR] Gas-mask equipment
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:59:13 pm »

Gas-Mask mod

So... Sharing this here ,since iv allmost lost my nerves making this to work. if anyone is willing trying to fix this,  you will be credited to god amongst men ;P (it must be something small that i havent noticed in ruleset)

Everything else works well (inventory, purchasing, ufopedia) except the battlescape sprites. Somehow it just get messed up everytime i try to config it (e.g gets Black boxes, white lines or just looks something like mutilated mutant)

Purpose of this mod was kind of a minor, able to fight in smoke without inhaling smoke all the time as some players seems to love fighting in smoke.
inspiration for this was definatly Emans playtrough videos https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2460.0 ,loved his playtrough from the start when they first appeared to youtube :)

So yup, here it is.

edit: Works well now, big thanks for falko helping out @ irc

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:58:41 pm by Ryskeliini »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [ARMOR] Gas-mask equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:14:38 pm »
OK, this looks badass. Nice work.

Is there a reason to not use this every mission?

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:26:58 pm »
guess not :p ... i was thinking something like having a slightly limited sight when you use gasmask, but blargh, afterwards it sounded quite stupid. Battledrugs would be a fun addition to this, if person gets panicked, gasmask canister would provide relaxants to breath and thus calm down.. or even berserk like toxin, go full mad but reduces health...  but those would be hard to make i think.

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:48:21 pm »
Running around in full nbc-gear is meant to be pretty gruelling, and even just the mask can be pretty bad as you'll know if you've ever played paintball on a summers day!

So I suppose if you wanted to go out of your way to find a negative for balancing purposes, it might make sense to give the soldier an energy penalty?

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:59 pm »
You could make it so it does little bit of stun damage to the soldier wearing it every turn ;)

And yeah, I have not tried gas mask, but even paintball mask makes it hard to breath or see well.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 10:02:24 pm »
I think -10 to Reactions and -20 to Stamina would be bitch enough. :)

Offline PAK001

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:49 am »
Is this mod compatible with Grav Armors mod by Clownagent?
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2465.msg25086#msg25086
Because when I installed both mods and equiped soldiers with gas masks (at the begining of the game, no advanced armor researched) on battlescape they appeared equipped in flying personal armors...

Offline PAK001

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 02:33:36 pm »
So You can't use gas masks and grav armors mods at the same time. I'm providing savegames, soldiers equipped with gas masks appear on the battlescape looking like wearing flying personal armor, although it is a graphic glitch because agents can't fly. Playing on nightly 2014_07_13_1751.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:09:36 pm »
I don't know for sure, but I suppose they use the same MAN_X code, X being some number. I'd thought it shouldn't collide, but I may be wrong.

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 03:12:01 am »
Yep, it seems that using the same "spriteSheet:" and "spriteInv:" string(s) in 2 mods cause sprites collision.

Here, they both use

spriteSheet: XCOM_5.PCK
    spriteInv: MAN_5

See below a quick-and-dirty fix ruleset modified with this string ("GZMSK" instead of "5" as id):

spriteSheet: XCOM_GZMSK.PCK
    spriteInv: MAN_GZMSK

and other ref in ruleset adjusted to match.

Also included: a "fr" translation.

Offline Banshee

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 02:34:49 pm »
Cool mod, i remake it the way in my opinion is better. Masks are supplied with light kevlar grey-black vest (from "Combat - Uniform Armors", but not so strong - 16 front armor), all together it weighs little and costs a little more. Craftable from start (just little cheaper than from shop). All working, but not compatible with original, cause i just replaced.
sor for bad english

Offline SDEDEN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 04:51:36 am »
So when I use this all my soldiers who equip the gasmask appear as blondes in the Battlescape, when the screen shot on the mod page shows them still have the "enhanced sprites" from Open-XCOM. I notice in the mod files that the gif containing the Battlescape sprites indeed only has the standard blonde model.

Is this normal?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 05:17:07 am »
The sprite coloring has been softcoded since this mod came out. Find STR_NONE_UC in OXCom's items.rul, copy spritefacegroup, spritefacecolor, spritehairgroup & spritehaircolor lines to all new armors in this mod's .rul file.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 06:22:55 am »
You could make it so it does little bit of stun damage to the soldier wearing it every turn ;)

And yeah, I have not tried gas mask, but even paintball mask makes it hard to breath or see well.

Wouldn't sustaining stun damage every turn kinda defeat the purpose of the gas mask since it's meant to protect you from the smoke that causes stun damage every turn?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:36:31 am by Phoenix7786 »

Offline SDEDEN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 06:44:48 am »
The sprite coloring has been softcoded since this mod came out. Find STR_NONE_UC in OXCom's items.rul, copy spritefacegroup, spritefacecolor, spritehairgroup & spritehaircolor lines to all new armors in this mod's .rul file.

Thanks, I'm trying that now! Though I found that all in the "armors.rul", not in items.

Edit: my first time editing any of these .rul files so it took a little bit of experimentation... but it works!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:10:57 am by SDEDEN »