aliens

Author Topic: Expanded U_BASE  (Read 55763 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Expanded U_BASE
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:15:42 pm »
So i have one week left before school resumes and the amount of free time i have after work will greatly be reduced so i am working frantically to get another gift out to the community.

These are using the original terrain files and are designed to keep 99% of the community happy .

So far 20 new mapblocks are done ( some are minor changes to existing ones just to keep you on your toes), would like to make a few rotated versions of some of these eventually also but not this month :)

There are 2 Rulesets here, "Expanded Ruleset" just adds the new map blocks to the mix, "FULL Expanded Ruleset" turns on the unused maps included within the original game (which are commented out by default in OXC install), adds my new map blocks and macks the map slightly bigger with more enemies to hunt down.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:31:43 am by luke83 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Expanded U_BASE
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:42:49 pm »
Can I just add these blocks to the Final Mod Pack? With credits of course.

Sorry if it's a bit of an early request, but your work is always so exemplary, I just want to play it. :) Making the ruleset shouldn't be a problem either.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:46:40 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:29:40 am »
Can I just add these blocks to the Final Mod Pack? With credits of course.

Sorry if it's a bit of an early request, but your work is always so exemplary, I just want to play it. :) Making the ruleset shouldn't be a problem either.

Tell you what, as long as you build me a separate ruleset for these alone, i have no problems with you merging these with your "Final Mod Pack". :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:16:34 am »
Tell you what, as long as you build me a separate ruleset for these alone, i have no problems with you merging these with your "Final Mod Pack". :P

Sure, send me the files and I'll give it a try. :)

(I'll PM you my email)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:29:17 am »
Thanks to Some advice from Solaris i now have this MOD ready for download.

Please move to Complete Mods!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:38:29 am by luke83 »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:53:06 pm »
Always more and more, thanks luke ! :)

I guess the Expanded_UBase.rul, provided on Mod Site, has to be included in "terrains:" section ?

EDIT : these are new alien 'facilities', aren't they ?
(Tell me if it has to be kept secret, I will unload attached screens)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:15:23 pm by Aldorn »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:47:14 pm »
1 week until school goes back, expect a few more in this file next weekend.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »
Consistency with the other blocks is nice, but I would like map-makers to make more tactically interesting blocks...
- Asymetric blocks, so that when you approach them from north, south, east or west, you get a different behavior and challenge
- More large (3x3) obstacles, and L-shaped ones
- More play on heights.

edit: See attached my first tests with mapview - unfortunately the base has no stair blocks, so I couldn't do anything about heights.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:27:37 pm by yrizoud »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »
Consistency with the other blocks is nice, but I would like map-makers to make more tactically interesting blocks...
- Asymetric blocks, so that when you approach them from north, south, east or west, you get a different behavior and challenge
- More large (3x3) obstacles, and L-shaped ones
- More play on heights.

edit: See attached my first tests with mapview - unfortunately the base has no stair blocks, so I couldn't do anything about heights.
Nice job you did
The third block seems tactically interesting, with the possibility to defend the door from the window

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:05 pm »
I hear you mate, thing is, when you create new map sets you need to decide early on if your going to try to keep them similar to vanilla ( to please most people) or just create some wild stuff that yourself and only a few others will use. In this case, as per my first post, "are designed to keep 99% of the community happy " so its close to vanilla. I have no objections with adding some of your mapblocks into this set and creating another alternate Ruleset.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:54 am »
(...) decide early on if your going to try to keep them similar to vanilla ( to please most people) or just create some wild stuff that yourself and only a few others will use.
I am extremely surpised to see you have no hope of players enjoying new map designs. I think either you overestimate the map quality of the vanilla game, or you underestimate the player's ability to recognize interesting map design when they see it.

Some more tests attached. If I can make this on my first day of using the editor, what good can the entire community do over months of experimenting new things and getting feedback ? (negative feedback helps recognize problems and try something different)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 04:58:22 am »
I am extremely surpised to see you have no hope of players enjoying new map designs. I think either you overestimate the map quality of the vanilla game, or you underestimate the player's ability to recognize interesting map design when they see it.

Some more tests attached. If I can make this on my first day of using the editor, what good can the entire community do over months of experimenting new things and getting feedback ? (negative feedback helps recognize problems and try something different)

The map quality of the vanilla game speaks for itself and what you consider interesting map design is based on your own opinion which might not be the majority. And Luke has a very fair point here: you either design mods aiming for the 99% or you can do as you want but your mod will only be played by a few players.

Because honestly, there isn't much room for innovation regarding map design. Some things work regarding design, others don't and if you look at all of the original maps you get a fair idea of what works better - assuming that you know better than the original developers is quite a bold statement. What you can innovate is regarding graphics and the number of maps you can use.

Offline tnarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 11:02:43 am »
Hello Luke83 I love this idea.  This must of took some time to do and get looking right. 
Thanks, cant wait to try this.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:49:36 am »
Hello Luke83 I love this idea.  This must of took some time to do and get looking right. 
Thanks, cant wait to try this.
It took 6 episodes of supernatural and a few hours of clean up, still already found a bug or two.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:54:44 am by luke83 »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 04:30:32 pm »
Do you have already integrate Civillian's mod too ?

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/addon-terrains-mapblocks

On Hobbes's web site (Area51) there are two packs on  Alien base maps too

It will be beautifull if any alien base attack missions will be different from the previous !!!  :P

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:33:57 pm by davide »