aliens

Author Topic: Remastered Sounds Project (demo available!)  (Read 8650 times)

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Remastered Sounds Project (demo available!)
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:03:29 pm »
Demo Download

Playing internet detective, I've managed to track down a lot of the stock sounds used in X-Com, but in a much much higher bitrate. My goal is to replace every sound in the game with its high-quality counterpart, effectively improving the sound without straying from vanilla. I've searched about a dozen sound effect libraries and some of these things are turning out to be quite elusive. If anyone can help me locate the remaining samples (or even point to other games that used them), that would be super helpful.

Sounds located:
Big explosion
Small explosion
Metal footsteps
Grass/dirt footsteps
Reload
Item drop (?)
Item throw (?)
Metal door open
Metal door close
Common door
Laser fire
Bullet fire
Ship plasma beam
Heavy/Auto cannon fire
Blaster/Stun launcher fire
Bullet ricochet
All UI beeps/whooshes
Ethereal death
Muton death
Snakeman death
All female death screams

Sounds missing:
Rocket launcher fire
Plasma fire
Mind probe
Mind control
All interception sounds (minus plasma beam)
Snow footsteps
Mud footsteps
Mars footsteps
Sand footsteps (the same?)
Hover sound
Male death 1
Male death 2
Male death 3
Metal crash (cyberdisk death, etc.)
Silacoid move
Snakeman move
Reaper/zombie attack
Chyssalid death
Silacoid death
Sectoid/Floater death
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:42:53 pm by Gifty »

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Remastered Sounds Project
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:06:09 am »
Can you please share where exactly did you find the female screams and UI sounds? I need them badly...

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:44:09 am »
One of the female screams is in Sound Ideas' SuperSampler library (under Human, Scream), the other is in Female Voices (also under Human, Scream). The SuperSampler library also has one of the UI sounds (it's "SPACE SHIP CONSOLE, BEEP," filed under Computer, Beep). The other UI sound I had to rip from StarCraft, it's the select sound.

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:42:21 pm »
I had the UI select sound already - it was public domain, but I just can't remember where did I found it and what was it called.

As for the SuperSampler library, great find! I believe it has many more X-Com sounds, that you pointed! Found some weapon sounds and monster samples, which were most probably used to create alien death sounds (Snakeman and Ethereal).

Really big thanks, mate.

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:39:38 pm »
Holy crap, those monster sounds were sitting right under my nose and I didn't even notice. Thanks for pointing that out to me. If you notice any more, let me know. :D

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:35 am »
I've tracked down enough of the sounds now that I was able to toss together a little demo to show you what this sounds like; download is in the OP. (The ruleset I cobbled together was based on Daedelus' lovely HQ sound mod, hopefully he won't mind.)

Re: Remastered Sounds Project (demo available!)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:57:25 am »
Nice, but I think some sounds are too long or not remastered. And why .ogg instead of .wav?

Nice work again ;)

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:04:40 am »
OGG can be much smaller with negligible loss in quality. And yeah, I think a couple of the original sounds are a little longer than the X-Com versions, obviously that'll be fixed if/when I put this out for real, it's just sort of a proof of concept at this point.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25:19 am »
Sounds located:
Metal footsteps
Grass/dirt footsteps
Sounds missing:
Snow footsteps
Mud footsteps
Mars footsteps
Sand footsteps (the same?)
Silacoid move
Snakeman move

Flying movement ?

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
OGG can be much smaller with negligible loss in quality. And yeah, I think a couple of the original sounds are a little longer than the X-Com versions, obviously that'll be fixed if/when I put this out for real, it's just sort of a proof of concept at this point.

Maybe you will upload two versions? I mean with .ogg sounds and second with .wav? ;) I think .wav are better, but it's mine opinion :)

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:35 pm »
Just a question about game music: is it possible to mod the game in a way that the player can hear, for example: Tha original X-Com1 music and ALSO the X-Com2 music ina random basis? I explein further: Is the game able to randomly choose between files from a folder loaded with X-Com1 music and another one with the X-Com2 music?

I would appreciate to know more about this topic. Thanks!!!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:22:14 pm »
Shot I can't wait for this. What's the difference between wav and ogg? Ogg always takes longer to load up when I play them on VLC compared to wav files. That's the only difference I see heeheehehe. In-game it's no delay, so no problem here, just gimme when you finne.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:14:09 pm »
Shot I can't wait for this. What's the difference between wav and ogg? Ogg always takes longer to load up when I play them on VLC compared to wav files. That's the only difference I see heeheehehe. In-game it's no delay, so no problem here, just gimme when you finne.

wav is an uncompressed format, therefore possibly lossless, but huge files. ogg is a compressed format - smaller, but losses are possible, although supposedly very small (depending on the acuteness of your hearing, though...).

kind of like the difference between a bmp image (uncompressed) and a png or jpg (compressed)

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 01:19:18 pm »
In other words, unless your hearing is perfect AND you have good external soundcard AND you have great headphones you won't be able to hear the difference between .wav and good .ogg. ;)

Of course the original sound samples would also have to be uncompressed and very high quality, otherwise it would be just pointless to save them as wav.