Author Topic: Viper Assault Cannon  (Read 13372 times)

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Viper Assault Cannon
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:46:17 pm »
Finally got the mod portal working. Here comes my first mod:

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/viper-assault-cannon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Viper Assault Cannon mod for OpenXcom
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:

Weapon mod for OpenXCom.

Inspiration for this came from Robocop. It featured a weapon called Cobra Assault Cannon that is one of my all time favourite sci-fi weapons. If you have not seen it, watch it out at Youtube or the whole movie.

The weapon is very heavy and has high damage. Equal to heavy rocket, but smaller blast radius. It can be used on Xcom, but it is probably more suitable for total conversion mods.

You can buy your Viper from the shop without any research needed.

to install:

simply extract to your data folder (e.g., X:\OpenXcom\Data)

and enable on MOD list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This mod was made by Muukalainen.

It was done by editing the Sniper Rifle mod, which was done by:

Credits:

Sprites: Toshiaki2115 and Warboy1982
Code:  Toshiaki2115 and Warboy1982

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Viper Assault Cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:32:23 am »
I keep getting

There was an error

Cannot find this mod in the system

when trying to download it.  ??? You sure you uploaded it properly?

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:21:52 am »
Hmmm, same error here.

I re-uploaded and it should work now.

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:02:46 am »
Yup, works now. Time to take it for a spin.

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:32 am »
Yup, works now. Time to take it for a spin.

Beware. It can be quite a ego booster, but it will not make you invulnerable :)

Part of the Cobra scene on Robocop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KI_8Bz_ao

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:46:08 am »
Cool, thanks <3

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:25:10 am »
Honestly, the immense weight and tiny magazine capacity prevents it from being even remotely practical to field, at this point. I tweaked the stats and it's working pretty well in two-man teams, though.

Complements plasma-tier tech nicely once you have strong, skilled troopers with flying suits who can actually handle it.

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 03:02:59 am »
Honestly, the immense weight and tiny magazine capacity prevents it from being even remotely practical to field, at this point. I tweaked the stats and it's working pretty well in two-man teams, though.

Complements plasma-tier tech nicely once you have strong, skilled troopers with flying suits who can actually handle it.

You tweaked more strength and still need two men to carry it?  ;) "This new Viper is a real bastard to carry around..."

Well, I should maybe had added on the info that it is designed to take out armoured vehicles and fortified positions. You can't have a small gun for that.

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:34:45 am »
40wu is nothing to sneeze at! Maybe my troops are all just noodle-armed pansies (barring my Commander, who is insanely strong), but even with modified powersuits providing a strength bonus the majority of them couldn't carry the loaded rifle and a spare magazine. Of course, right now I have ~4 guys using the cannon, and everyone else using standard plasma weaponry.

As for taking out armoured vehicles, it does that especially well. Those two-man teams (a rifle each, possibly with one of them having a spare mag) are reserved for long-distance anti-weapon-platform ops, being composed of my highest-ranking non-commander officers.

All I did for the tweaking was add a two-shot burst, adjust accuracy/range values, and up magazine capacity. No damage/firepower/etc. adjustments.

niculinux

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:08:59 pm »
Works under linux (ver 1.0) hurrà

Some humble hints, personally i'd increase clip size to 8 (maybe 5 or 6 also), as well a bit weight and lower down he price to 20.000 (from 32.000 because is a little too much expensive)

after some tryes, i think strenght required is fine as it is now. Also to provide some balance, power has to be set to 80 i think, so it may act as an auto version of rocket launcher. And, last but not least, reduce the TUs required to fire ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:20:42 am by niculinux »

niculinux

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:52:11 pm »
Actually,  handob sprites are quite offset, may need some fixing, see screenshots attached:

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 10:08:28 pm »
Are the handobs defined as a a bunch of individual files? Linux has issues with that. It is handled better if the handobs come as one image with 8 frames in it instead.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:49:28 pm »
Has it ? I thought this was recommended because it greatly reduces the number of files - so it is less likely that the modder messes up one of the filenames.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 12:24:54 am »
Just tried this mod as I liked it from before, but I lost the original when my hard drive died. Is there some sort of fault with it, or is it incompatible with newer nightlies as I tried it with nighly 2015-08-27-1136? I added in a metadata.yml file as it's an older mod but your game crashes as soon as you fire the weapon.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 02:02:33 pm »
Per previous message, I mind a problem like this occuring before and it's fixed per & attached .rul file
Re: VIPER ASSAULT CANNON
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:56:47 pm »

It's probably the hit animation issue again. Try the attached ruleset and see if it works.

I think this is the issue.
Quote from: XOps on October 20, 2014, 03:57:49 am

Set hitAnimation to 0 for STR_HWP_CANNON_SHELLS. One of the nightlies has updated the explosion animation to account for land/underwater explosions. When you set a weapon to damageType: 3 (explosives), it loads the hit animation from the X1.pck rather than SMOKE.PCK for most other weapons. However there is no frame 26 defined so it crashes.