Author Topic: Pyramid Rebirth  (Read 47472 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Pyramid Rebirth
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 10:25:12 am »
Do you have a screen shot of this issue, was just fixing some other issue but i can seam to recreate this one you found ( or i have misunderstood the issue).
I'm judging from the image in your original post in this thread. The door shows itself sticking out a bit from the wall and you can see through the crack.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 10:42:11 am »
Trying to bring the TOWER into my ruleset for testing, game loads, Tower is selectable from instant action list ( however the name is wrong, compared to the others) and when i load into mission the Tower is not on the map ( there is no UFO on the map), its like i have built a Stealth Tower :).... what have i done wrong?

UPDATE---- So apparently there is a difference between PTower and PTOWER :) Its now displayed in the mission selector correctly but it crashes on loading... I better check i have the right name on the MAPS and Routes now i know its case sensitive.

Update 2 - ALL fixed, Routes also had the same Naming issue:)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:08:34 am by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2018, 03:39:39 am »
QUESTIONS FOR THE EXPERTS - WHY WOULD THESE CLONETANKS SHOW CORRECTLY IN MAPVIEW & MCDEDIT BUT BE MISSING FROM THE REAL GAME?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2018, 09:56:15 am »
QUESTIONS FOR THE EXPERTS - WHY WOULD THESE CLONETANKS SHOW CORRECTLY IN MAPVIEW & MCDEDIT BUT BE MISSING FROM THE REAL GAME?
are you sure you listed correctly, in the ruleset, the MCD libraries used by the terrain?
i once had "black holes" like that and i think it happens when the MCD libraries used in mapview and the ones in the ruleset, are not matching.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2018, 11:01:37 am »
I am thinking its linked to these specific models (clone tanks), i did import the artwork in via the new MCDEDIT, these  animated clone tanks where originally created years ago as .BMP but it looks like they never made it into  my PCK sets for the UFOs or Alien bases so i have now brought them in but they are shown as black tiles in game....very frustrating ( as i have spent most of my time this week finding these, working out how to bring them in & animated them again.

Old post: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,196.0.html

I have uploaded the next update on these maps, so at this point the Outside of the UFOs are done ( bug checking needs to occur) and i have added my next MCD set so assuming i can work out why my tanks are not in game when they are shown on the mapeditor i will be able to start the next stage and do the internals.

Also note, i have renamed several UFOs and change some heights so the RULESET may not be 100% accurate yet, just be warned.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:25:02 pm by luke83 »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:48 pm »
Do you perhaps have a MCD library with an odd amount of MCDs and/or less than 4 MCDs inside it?
I think that it *could* be the culprit, especially the latter.

The bosses have spoken and I was wrong!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:24:40 am by robin »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2018, 10:30:40 pm »

The map files are corrupted - this is something that could happen with maps created with old MapView versions. What is happening is that the .map files have data assigned to them that isn't displayed or written over by MapView, but you see the bad data displayed on OpenXCom.

This can be shown on the below pic where I've replaced the PUFOL83 with the vanilla URBAN tileset in the ruleset. The black tiles are replaced instead with entries from URBAN.

To fix this, my advice would be to create new map files from zero using the newer versions of MapView, which means you'll have to recreate all of the maps again (I've seen the bug on several other pyramid maps), but since they're already designed, that will speed up the process, and you'll never have to deal with this kind of bugs again.

In alternative, you can always trying manually editing the files with an hex editor, which is a challenge of its own, and you'll never be 100% sure if you eliminated all the bugs.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:34:21 pm by Hobbes »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:50 pm »
The map files are corrupted - this is something that could happen with maps created with old MapView versions. What is happening is that the .map files have data assigned to them that isn't displayed or written over by MapView, but you see the bad data displayed on OpenXCom.

This can be shown on the below pic where I've replaced the PUFOL83 with the vanilla URBAN tileset in the ruleset. The black tiles are replaced instead with entries from URBAN.
In alternative, you can always trying manually editing the files with an hex editor, which is a challenge of its own, and you'll never be 100% sure if you eliminated all the bugs.

I have a KevL's mapview version compiled on my pc. Which errors I have to found un map file ?
I mean, whichfox do you suggestt by hex editor ? I can try to automatize into Mapview.
It is possible that new Mapview already fix maps on loading ...do you try to re-save it ?

The mapview attached is not the last version
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:24:38 am by davide »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2018, 11:05:30 pm »
I have a KevL's mapview version compiled on my pc. Which errors I have to found un map file ?

I don't use KevL's MapView version but the previous version made by TheBigSot and updated to Win10 by Supsuper

I mean, whichfox do you suggestt by hex editor ? I can try to automatize into Mapview.

Trying to fix the map files is a waste of time because on my past experience with these errors (they were pretty common with the original version of MapView)

It is possible that new Mapview already fix maps on loading ...do you try to re-save it ?

MapView doesn't fix this upon loading - it can't even fix the bad data because what you see in the editor and what is actually written into the file are two different things - in editor you can assign to the black square any tile you like, but when it tries to save, it fails to overwrite over the bad data.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2018, 11:56:52 pm »
maybe an attempt would be worth doing, on a copy of a map :-X

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2018, 02:13:56 am »
it looks like Mapview2 nulls out the offending references in MapFileChild.CreateTile(), and flags the MapChanged variable.

which means that you *might* be able to re-save the Map to get it working ...

(make backups/copies first, as always)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2018, 06:46:08 am »
maybe an attempt would be worth doing, on a copy of a map :-X

How did you get Mapview to give you that error? I have some older versions of these maps and i if i can go back to these and check if they have a error it may save me re-building everything.

I am thinking the error occured when i copy & replaced the new tileset in OR when i created the new Pufol83-b MCD. If i can force Mapview to give me that error, i should be able to undo what was done with minor interruptions.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2018, 06:59:28 am »
The error is very simple:

Code: [Select]
    battlescapeTerrainData:
      name: PABDUCT
      mapDataSets:
        - BLANKS
        - U_EXT01
        - U_WALL01
        - U_DISEC1
        - U_OPER1
        - PUFOL83
        - PUFOL83-B

You need to add the last tileset to the list.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2018, 07:47:46 am »
The error is very simple:

Code: [Select]
    battlescapeTerrainData:
      name: PABDUCT
      mapDataSets:
        - BLANKS
        - U_EXT01
        - U_WALL01
        - U_DISEC1
        - U_OPER1
        - PUFOL83
        - PUFOL83-B

You need to add the last tileset to the list.

YOUR BLOODY KINDING ME, I SWEAR I DID THAT FOR ALL UFO'S, MUST OF NOT SAVED THE RULESET....ITS ALWAYS THE SIMPELST THINGS...

Thanks Reaver, i have been going around in circles and didnt check the basics as i was sure i did it :)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2018, 08:32:10 am »
How did you get Mapview to give you that error? I have some older versions of these maps and i if i can go back to these and check if they have a error it may save me re-building everything.

KevL github
https://github.com/kevL/OpenXCOM.Tools/tree/master/Distribution

or there are an older version wih my customization to load tileset from mod folder and from ufo folder when missing on this thread
Whn I will merge again the source I will upload the update version