Author Topic: psi "backlash" possible?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
psi "backlash" possible?
« on: September 03, 2014, 10:38:17 am »
I was wondering if it was possible to include some additional costs and risks for psi powers:

- "mental damage" from failed attempts: failed psi attack --> psi attacker receives stun damage / loses morale / loses energy

- "backlash" from controlled enemies: if a psi-controlled unit takes damage, the psi-controller receives stun damage / loses morale / loses energy

I realize that this could even be exploited by mean xcom commanders by taking unarmed psi-weak rookies on a mission and shooting them once they are controlled (to take out or weaken the psi-attacking aliens), but would you really do that? seriously? ;)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: psi "backlash" possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:25:39 pm »
Backlash for failed attempts is not quite OK, as at first you have a lot of failed attempts. This will kinda prevent you from attempting to psi-train your soldiers on live subjects.

But if you tie the backlash chance to the operator's skill somehow - low level PSI = less change of receiving a backlash for a failed attempt, and also reduced damage when the backlash happens - you may be able to balance it. I would go with a bit of stun damage as backlash.

Backlash from controlled enemies sounds logical, I would go with some stun damage and a little bit of morale loss for enemy units killed while being PSI controlled.

Also, why not make PSI attacks consume energy?

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:39 pm »
Yeah I thought of this as well, sounds nice if they receive damage and/or morale loss from failed Psi-attempts.

With the first though it would help slow the overpowering tactic of mindcontrol chain every alien you see as well as slow down constant alien psi attack barrages.

Although backlash from controlled subjects does sound exploitable and a bit too harsh on psi amp users if once they MC an alien after failing a few times so have already taken damage that the alien gets shot at and takes out the psi-amp user.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:52:03 am »
I don't know about backslash - sounds reasonable - but the Psi attacks having an inherent Energy cost (and a high one at that) sounds like a great idea.