Author Topic: [SOUND] High Quality Sounds  (Read 38341 times)

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [SOUND] High Quality Sounds
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 01:35:31 pm »
Version 1.0 of the mod have been released and can be downloaded from OpenXCom.com

Changelog:
- added all missing sounds + some more
- changed general approach, trying to make the sounds more scary and better fitting for intense X-Com atmosphere
- changed volume of most of the new sounds, so they better match original sounds now
- [Geoscape] added different launch sounds for Avalanche and Stingray missiles
- [Geoscape] changed loud UFO attack sound from laser (default in OpenXCom) to more subtle one
- [Geoscape] swapped UFO hit and X-Com craft hit sounds (since they're swapped in OpenXCom comparing to UFO:EU sound documentation)
- [Geoscape] added X-Com craft destroy sound
- [Geoscape] tweaked Cannon sound
- [Battlescape] added all missing sounds
- [Battlescape] changed many sounds to make them fit the game better
- [Battlescape] added new fire sounds for each basic gun (pistol, rifle, heavy cannon, auto cannon)
- [Battlescape] added new fire sounds for each laser and plasma variant (pistol, rifle, heavy)
- [Battlescape] added new hit effects for plasma and autocannon
- [Battlescape] added a lot of new alien death/scream/attack sound effects so that each alien would have his own set of sounds

Mod works with OpenXCom 1.0 and latest OpenXCom nightly builds (see installation instructions).

Additional version for Final Mod Pack with lots of new sounds coming soon...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:37:18 pm by Daedalus »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 01:54:43 pm »
Additional version for Final Mod Pack with lots of new sounds coming soon...

Looking forward to that!

Please replace the gauss weapons sounds first ;-) They are horrible...

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 01:57:02 pm »
Looking forward to that!

+1 on that. And the flamer too, since now it sounds like a rifle with this mod on.

Well OP, congrats this a mighty fine work! My ears thank you.

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 02:51:44 pm »

Actually I have all of the sounds ready. I just need to clear the pack a little and do some more tests. It should be available before the weekend.

+1 on that. And the flamer too, since now it sounds like a rifle with this mod on.

Flamethrower sound did not change. I just tested that and it still has the sound from FMP. What changed is the explosion sound, and flamethrower's ammo does explode. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to have different explosion sounds for different items (I would love have that), so there isn't much I can do about it.

There's an alternate small explosion sound in the mod files and you can try if it sounds better for you. You just have to edit the HQSounds.rul, by finding this line:
Code: [Select]
      2: Resources/HQSounds/Battle/small_explosion.ogg #small explosionAnd changing it to this:
      2: Resources/HQSounds/Battle/soft_explosion.ogg #small explosion

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 05:49:16 pm »
The old Versions Tanksound was sounding like a german Tiger Tank rolling throu a room...
Let's give it try now :D

EDIT: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:00:40 pm by hellrazor »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 06:46:28 pm »
Actually I have all of the sounds ready. I just need to clear the pack a little and do some more tests. It should be available before the weekend.

Flamethrower sound did not change. I just tested that and it still has the sound from FMP. What changed is the explosion sound, and flamethrower's ammo does explode. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to have different explosion sounds for different items (I would love have that), so there isn't much I can do about it.

There's an alternate small explosion sound in the mod files and you can try if it sounds better for you. You just have to edit the HQSounds.rul, by finding this line:
      2: Resources/HQSounds/Battle/small_explosion.ogg #small explosionAnd changing it to this:
      2: Resources/HQSounds/Battle/soft_explosion.ogg #small explosion

Meh, wont do. Thanks for the headsup but I am not a flamer fan either way. Merely for a couple missions at the start :p

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »
Awesome news, looking forward to it. :)

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:12 pm »
Final Mod Pack version is up on OpenXCom.com

Changelog:
- [Final Mod Pack] added Gauss Cannon Geoscape sound
- [Final Mod Pack] added new sounds for most of the new weapons (Sniper, Heavy Sniper, Laser/Plasma Sniper, Shotguns, Magnum, Hunting Rifle, Dartgun, Taser, Grenade Launcher, Gauss Weapons)
- [Final Mod Pack] added new sounds for tanks, hovertanks, sectopods...
- [Final Mod Pack] added few new death screams for some of new aliens
- [Final Mod Pack] added new sounds for Attack Dog

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 01:57:57 pm »
Could you make us Sounds for Each alien Race?

deathSound    Sound ID from BATTLE.CAT played when this unit dies.    -1
aggroSound    Sound ID from BATTLE.CAT played when this unit aggros.    -1
moveSound    Sound ID from BATTLE.CAT played when this unit moves.    -1

We can have 3. So would be cool ;>
Even thou those would probably not fit into the normal 55 Sounds we have, so a ruleset asigning those would be needed.

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 08:46:37 pm »
This mod already does that... well, at least to some degree. Each alien has his own death scream and attack sound (for races like zombie, reaper, chryssalid, celatid...). Walking sounds are shared by all of those aliens which have legs and this could be changed, I agree, so that bigger aliens would have different move sound. Although I don't know when will I have time to work on that...

As for the aggro sound - I don't think it's a good idea to add it to aliens. Chryssalids are ones that already have it and they tend to spam it a lot. I believe sound is played each time alien spots one of X-Com soldiers and in longer terms this could be quite annoying to players.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 01:05:30 pm »
Daedalus, I haven't added your pack to the FMP directly, because some players would probably dislike changing so many vanilla sounds. Instead I provided links to High Quality Sounds on the FMP page and in the readme, so hopefully people will be informed.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 01:30:43 pm »
Daedalus, I haven't added your pack to the FMP directly, because some players would probably dislike changing so many vanilla sounds. Instead I provided links to High Quality Sounds on the FMP page and in the readme, so hopefully people will be informed.

Well i also considered if i should integrate it completly, but Sounds are kinda a choice of the player. Even thou i like and use it in my Testrun, the new sounds are more then awesome.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 02:07:57 pm »
Well i also considered if i should integrate it completly, but Sounds are kinda a choice of the player. Even thou i like and use it in my Testrun, the new sounds are more then awesome.

Yeah, I'm using Daedalus' pack too. But I still believe in giving people a choice in this regard. :)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 05:32:52 pm »
Some of the death sounds (Chryssalid, ethereal and iirc the tankdeath are somehow cut off at the end. Apart from that the mod is excellent.  :)

Interestingly when I converted your oggs into wavs and edited the rul file accordingly, everything worked fine.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 12:09:12 am »
The game crashes, when using this mod without final mod pack. Is there a way to use it, without final mod pack? Or do I have a different problem? Just tested it with latest nightly...