Author Topic: Best mods to enhance the original game?  (Read 8311 times)

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Best mods to enhance the original game?
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:17:37 pm »
Hello,

Just found this great project and now I feel like a kid in a candy store.

There is so many mods that look good so I am looking for recommendations what to get.

What I am interested in is to get mods that are well balanced with the original game. New maps, Men In Black, new aliens, muton commander, Sniper Rifles? They all look good, but I don't want anything that is too over power or out of balance.

Also my first post, so I would like to thank you all the people that have worked on this project.

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
Re: Best mods to enhance the original game?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:56:09 pm »
lukes extra ufos, dark ufos, recycled alien collection, cover alien, men in black, waspite, terrain pack, raven interceptor, solars new ufos.... those are just some of the ones I'm playing and with the new UFO's it brings back the old nostalgia even more so... definately recommend those!

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:13:17 pm »
In my current playthrough, I've got robin's aliens (waspite and gazer), the MiB (with Solar's expanded armory for MiB), Solar's extra UFOs (with Solar's expanded armory), Luke's extra UFOs, Shoes' Soldier Diaries, and civilians' Terrain addons. So far, everything has been going very well.

A big game changer that isn't a mod is using UFO Extender's accuracy style. It makes auto shot far less useful in long-distance fighting and puts a much bigger emphasis on positing your soldiers for sniping, which goes along very well with weapons like Solar's plasma sniper.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:19:39 pm by the_third_curry »

Offline clees

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:42:32 pm »
Hi, Try out this one:

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/civilians-conversion-mod/

Totally rocks.
Warm regards
Roman

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:16:45 pm »
sadly 90% of the changes in civilian's pack aren't carried over into openxcom, like all the item/unit/base stat tweaks.

as for my mod recommendations: hobbes' terrain, luke's UFOs and robin's waspite.
simple, adds a ton of variety, and does not alter the game balance too drastically.

if you're going for weapon mods, i'd recommend excersizing restraint, remember that the game already HAS a complete arsenal, you won't end up using most of them because they're not heavy plasma, and not everyone balances their weapons.

also, welcome to the forums :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:42:56 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:25:05 pm »

A big game changer that isn't a mod is using UFO Extender's accuracy style. It makes auto shot far less useful in long-distance fighting and puts a much bigger emphasis on positing your soldiers for sniping, which goes along very well with weapons like Solar's plasma sniper.

I actually tried that already (played one generated battle, and lost!) and can recommend it too. It made sense and I think with it you cannot spam with laser rifle autofire everything anymore.

I also had sneaky AI and nerfed psi on, but cant say anything about them yet.

Thanks for the tips.

I also read about that "civilian" mod and it seems more like a hardcore difficulty mod which I don't need yet, as it has been quite a while since I last played Xcom. Though I will try it when the super human starts to feel too easy :)

I think extra maps, ufos and maybe some new aliens with this enhanced engine will again make this feel like a fresh game.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:36 am »
Sorry for posting about this all over the place, but it is relevant: in a few days I'll be releasing the Final Mod Pack.

While of course I can't guarantee it will suit your needs, it will contain much content that is balanced against each other and seamlessly integrated, so it'll probably be interesting for people who would like to try a lot of mods at once and aren't keen on spending weeks on adjusting them. (It will change the game's pacing a lot though, since I wanted to give all weapon tiers - especially basic weapons - more time to shine.)

Offline clees

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:21:48 pm »
Hi Warboy!

I wanted to ask you since you have a plenty of experience in modding old xcom and openXcom. I was wondering if it would be possible to recover the changes Civilian made in his mode via some old Xcom modding tool, and based on that introduce a openXcom version.

Best regards
Roman

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:25 pm »
Hi Warboy!

I wanted to ask you since you have a plenty of experience in modding old xcom and openXcom. I was wondering if it would be possible to recover the changes Civilian made in his mode via some old Xcom modding tool, and based on that introduce a openXcom version.

Best regards
Roman

i'm not strictly familiar with those mods, but i'm sure it's possible.