Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Game Rules randomization  (Read 2254 times)

Offline clees

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION] Game Rules randomization
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
Dear All,

I thought about how to make the game more different at every approach. Despite missions are randomly generated together with random map generation scheme it would be cool to have option in which every time you, as a player approach the game you are encountering new "alien" species. What I mean by that?

Now when you start a game you expect sectoids to show up at the beginning, then floaters. You know what kind of tactics you should use against them etc. But what if the stats of the aliens species were drawn randomly at the beginning of the game, from some predefined distributions? Then one time you play game you encounter weak snakemans at the beginning of the game, which are almost immune to the small arms fire but sensitive to fire, then for instance some very fast floaters which use only melee weapons, then some other type of aliens (or other ones taken from the mods library).

Of course this changes the way the research is being done i.e. research reveals "features" of species or other objects instead of providing a per-defined description (can be realized by tagging of the descriptions).

This would result in a game which is always very different, and requires usage of unique tactics for the player. Potentially might lead to large in-balance in the game but after all, xcom is about fighting as an underdog isn't it?

Warm regards
Roman

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] Game Rules randomization
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:35:30 pm »
one can do add some randomness to the game
i tried "Variable alien armour" - so you never know what damage a alien is good protected against
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2055.msg20084#msg20084
downside "yes i am aware that the rul file is bigger than the complete Xcom1Ruleset.rul file :)"
i dont see how to do your specific wish with random aliens races if you dont want to replace the modfile for each game

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [SUGGESTION] Game Rules randomization
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:02:23 pm »
Sounds like a ton of coding work. Sounds like it'd be totally worth it. XD