Author Topic: Fanart / Armour  (Read 24207 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Fanart / Armour
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 09:39:23 pm »
This is simply breathtaking. So much stuff, so good!

Yeah, some of it deviates from the standard X-Com graphics style, no point denying this. However, I don't think it creates much discrepancy, since the original graphics also fell into a number of styles which were loosely related at best (UFOs to UFO components, for example). So it's OK.

And guessing what's what is fun in itself. :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 04:48:22 am »
Thanks dude

I will try them and let you know, but I already like some of them.

And there is a kind of unity in provided designs, that's a very good point.

It would be useful to have some guidance about what you had in mind for any of them (as explaining "fusion explosives detonation reflected in his goggles")
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:54:28 am by Aldorn »

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 05:36:34 am »
How do you mean - the other ones I posted, or the ones I've yet to do?

For the next few, I'm trying to base them around vaguely real-world stuff....an amalgam of fusion reactor designs, particle accelerators, etc.
Alien codes will probably be a big bank of screens doing cryptography stuff, electronics will prrrrobably just be a big crystal with geometric etchings on it (possibly under a microscope view), the shooty stuff will probably just be in various states of disassembly for one and being used on the range in another. I usually bang a scene together in sketchup real quick if I'm unsure of angles and composition though so I usually play it by ear to some extent.

The one that has me slightly stumped is the radiation. First thing I think of is just a picture of some kinda waveform but that seems a bit of a copout, I dunno.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 12:39:04 pm »
How do you mean - the other ones I posted, or the ones I've yet to do?

The ones you already posted here

I mean, did you draw them having in mind some of the Tech Tree topics below ?

Spoiler:
      STR_ALIEN_DATA_SLATE_UFOPEDIA: Alien Data Slates are portable devices used to store crucial technical information regarding the invasion.  They can only be found in possession of aliens of the highest rank and should be investigated as soon as possible.

STR_POWER_SOURCE_MINIATURIZATION_UFOPEDIA: With Anti-Matter Containment research complete, we have developed the technology of building a miniaturized version of the UFO Power Source.  This advanced battery greatly exceeds any other portable power source we had before.

STR_ALIEN_BIOLOGY_UFOPEDIA: "Our preliminary research regarding alien remains show an astonishing fact: they have DNA much like ourselves, but it is so different that we should assume it has some extraterrestrial origins - or at least coming from some inconceivable depths of time.  Moreover, we also found certain fragments that seem to have been added artificially, fragments that were probably extracted from modern Earth organisms.  Our theory is that it helps the aliens to adapt to our environment, but even so, this adaptation is either short-term or incomplete: lacking the pre-processed nutrients and with poor immunology, the alien would be unable to survive on Earth for more than a day or two, therefore special arrangements must be made to keep a living specimen for study."

STR_ADVANCED_PLASMA_PHYSICS_UFOPEDIA: "While plasma has been known to human science for decades, it remained highly unpredictable and difficult to produce in a controlled environment.  The alien culture seems to have overcome these obstacles centuries ago, thanks to some dedicated mathematical equations and technological advancements derived from them.  Now we are able to understand and copy this equipment for our own energy needs."

STR_TRACTOR_BEAM_GENERATOR_UFOPEDIA: "This large-scale device is used in Alien Bases to assist large UFOs with precise landing.  It employs artificial gravity to decrease and otherwise manipulate mass of large objects up to 400 metres away.  It is, however, far too bulky to be mounted on any flying craft, even the largest UFOs, and therefore provides no advantage to our troops."

STR_ALIEN_GRAVITY_GENERATOR_UFOPEDIA: "Alien Gravity Generator is in fact a graviton emitter, which can amplify, nullify or modulate gravity fields on small scales.  While it has no direct combat application, it is sure to be a great boon to human space exploration, atmospheric flight and many fields of engineering."

STR_FUSION_EXPLOSIVES_UFOPEDIA: "While the Elerium element in itself is extremely efficient at releasing large amounts of energy at once, it can also be used to initiate a fusion reaction.  While not as efficient, a fusion blast is far cheaper and easier to create.  Combined in the right proportion with a highly energetic crystalline material, this allows for violent discharges of energy, emitting large amounts of heat but very little radiation.  This discovery can potentially revolutionize human warfare against the aliens."

STR_PARTICLE_MICROACCELERATION_UFOPEDIA: "Many alien designs, including plasma weapons, feature a particle acceleration chamber.  Based on gravity modulation, this component accelerates small lumps of matter to whirl at great velocities, creating enough heat to produce plasma.  This process is very fast, therefore it requires E-115 to provide the necessary amount of energy."

STR_ANTIMATTER_CONTAINMENT_UFOPEDIA: "Anti-matter is an excellent source of energy, but it is also why it's extremely unstable.  The aliens have overcome this problem by a clever application of gravity fields, separating the anti-matter from normal matter and thus preventing them from reacting with each other, as long as the field is in place.  This discovery is likely to bring great advancement to the human civilization, and certainly can be used against the alien threat."

STR_DELTA_RADIATION_UFOPEDIA: "Delta rays are completely different from any other sort of radiation known to humanity, as they are shifted out into something that can only be described as 'hyperspace'. These rays generally do not interact with ordinary matter or energy, so they are harmless to humans and impossible to detect with ordinary equipment.  They do, however, react with the Elerium element, exciting its atoms and destabilizing their structure, therefore allowing for quick conversion from matter to energy.  Unfortunately, the right frequency to provoke this reaction makes their range extremely short, which prevents us from disrupting alien weaponry on the battlefield."

STR_ALIEN_ELECTRONICS_UFOPEDIA: "Instead of integrated microprocessors, the aliens use specially grown crystal matrices to create logic machines.  While not inherently faster, these crystals allow for a multi-threaded communication between its nodes, therefore achieving and even surpassing the level of the theoretical quantum computer.  Now we have the rough understanding on how these alien 'electronics' work and even how to program them, but sadly we do not possess the technology to make them from scratch - we need to rely on whatever we can gather on the battlefield."

STR_ALIEN_NEUROPSYCHOLOGY_UFOPEDIA: "While there are many types of alien life forms, they do share certain neuropsychological features that are either inherent to their species or artificially inserted.  These features allow the aliens to cooperate in a hive-like manner, despite obvious biological differences.  These common patterns seem to be related mostly to non-verbal communication, internal visualization and transmission of simple emotions.  Now we can expect to be able to somehow tap into their interpersonal communication channels and possibly use it to our advantage."

STR_ALIEN_SUBJUGATION_UFOPEDIA: "While humans use electrical impulses to cause a neural system to overload, the aliens have developed a much more efficient and safer method, based on gravitic distortion.  A gravity wave of a fine-tuned frequency disrupts higher brain functions within a fraction of a second, while leaving other bodily functions unharmed.  This method is extremely effective in temporarily disabling humans, be it on the battlefield or in alien surgery rooms."

STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS_UFOPEDIA: "Plasma weapons are very powerful tools of war, based on accelerating particles from within a minute anti-gravity field."

STR_FUSION_WEAPONS_UFOPEDIA: "Fusion weapons use Elerium-based explosives to create powerful blasts of pure energy."

STR_ALIEN_CODES_UFOPEDIA: "For interplanetary communication, the aliens use special equipment that seems to be able to emit waves which travel faster than the speed of light.  These waves are modulated to encode messages with a complex, yet logical pattern.  This pattern is now understood by us, which gives us hope of attaining the possibility of intercepting and decoding alien communications."

STR_ALIEN_OPTICAL_PROCESSOR_UFOPEDIA: "Aliens use a special device to communicate with their navigation equipment.  This device emits carefully modulated flashes of bright light directly into the eyes of the operator, stimulating their brain and therefore feeding them with information.  It is unclear how this device receives feedback from the pilot, but it seems to read and analyze their brain wave patterns, which are then processed and fed into the UFO Navigation."

STR_ALIEN_POWER_SYSTEMS_UFOPEDIA: "Alien technology routinely uses incredibly advanced components that store, release and transmit high energies easily, safely and with minimal losses.  Although completely different in design from our own equipment, and using unusual materials, they can now be copied relatively easily by our engineers and used for a variety of applications."

STR_ALIEN_GARDENS_UFOPEDIA: "Alien Bases contain special facilities for cultivation of genetically engineered plant-like life forms.  Despite their name, these 'gardens' play little part in alien food production; instead they produce various biochemicals used in alien industry and warfare."

STR_ALLOY_AMMO_UFOPEDIA: With the knowledge of how to process the ultra-strong yet lightweight alien alloys, we can now manufacture alloy bullets capable of withstanding higher muzzle velocities without disintegrating, fired from alloy casings that are lighter yet stronger than previously possible.

STR_FUSION_WEAPONS_CALIBRATION_UFOPEDIA: "Alien fusion weapons are extremely potent, but they must be recalibrated daily to stay usable.  Since we have learned how to do so, we can employ such alien weapons from now on, provided that we manage to secure them on the battlefield."

STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS_CALIBRATION_UFOPEDIA: "Alien plasma weapon clips must be recalibrated daily to stay usable.  Since we have learned how to do so, we can employ such alien weapons from now on, provided that we manage to secure them on the battlefield."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:48:48 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 04:10:42 pm »
Oooh, right, yeah.

Er, ok, from top to bottom you've got:

Dude holding bullet is Alloy Ammo (Could just as easily do a closer-up view of a stylised bullet itself though, it's just that you can't get much clean detail in these)

Dude floating in a scaffold is testing out Alien Gravity Generator (I'm thinking of the elevators, see)

Dude in a helmet with big bright eyes is testing the Alien Optical Processor. This was inspired by those new helmets for F35 pilots that have external projectors aimed into the visor, but again this is one of those ones that isnt as clear or detailed as it might need to be. I could tighten in on the head/face a bit more maybe.

Sectoid Trio is Alien Subjugation. I figure they're looming over the viewer, mid-abduction like.

Supply ship with purple beam is Tractor technology, being bought in for a landing.

Orange hazmat guys inside the sectoid guts are researching Alien Biology.

The last one is Alien Neuropsych. I was utterly stuck on how to visually represent psychic communication, so in the end went with one of those old Zener Card tests from MK Ultra (and Ghostbusters).

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »
Perfect, that's exactly what I expected to know, thanks

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 08:45:32 pm »
I'm thinking of adding this to the next release. Or maybe the one after the next, since 0.5.5. is almost done and I don't want to delay it.

Again, astonishing job.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 08:53:33 pm »
A quick test

I had to create a new image (I used GIMP) of 320x200 then paste your 160x160 so that it fit to the right side

I never use GIMP, so I am not sure about what I really did (i.e. I did not take care of palette), but it seems to be ok

And result is perfect

EDIT : I tried to make another one, but I did not succeed : colors were changed, background was white, ... and I do not know what I made for my first attempt, as I tried many things :-\

Given that you have some agility to create such images, would it be possible for you to make them 160x200 (as a second version), then include them in a 320x200 new image (with black or better, transparency) and put them to the right at (160,0). As an alternative, eventually keep them 160X160 but put them on (160,20) ?

EDIT2 : I succeeded once more...

Perhaps 140X200 would be a perfect size, as it would allow more text to be displayed (as you can see I will have either to resize text box for french translation, or to truncate translation a bit)

EDIT3 : In fact, I am not sure about the perfect size, I have to chek it
Anyway I made a last try, and now it's ok, but I have had to reduce original image then put it in a 320X240
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:03:45 am by Aldorn »

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 11:48:28 pm »
Shouldnt be a problem, I can just resize the canvas.
Tbh for the time being I've just taken the template from earlier in the thread and worked on the assumption that all screens would be the same, but in retrospect it does seem that some of these have quite a lot of text. I dont know if that makes any difference to how the image has to be aligned.

Also, be aware that I have a feeling I may have absent-mindedly done a global levels adjustment on one of the images AFTER converting it to the game palette, so it may display a bit off, especially if black is taken as transparency or something. I dunno, it might be fine, but would take seconds to fix anyway, so let me know if that's the case.

Anyway, did another quick one for the antimatter reactor.

If anyone gets a chance they should google some of the new fusion research designs (not just tokomaks, but the crossfire or wiffleball), there's a lot of stuff now that has that really awesome sci-tech geometry thing going on. Very nice to look at.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 11:56:08 pm »
Beautiful art work, make sure you keep the HD versions ;) maybe one day i will be able to add them also :)

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 12:43:44 am »
Ah, they arent really 'hi-res' in the conventional sense.
They're still 160x160.

....however, doing index-art allows you 'hi-res' input on 'lo-res' imagery. Normally when you try to convert something to an indexed 256-colour palette you dont know exactly how it's going to look until you do so, which is potentially problematic, and once an image is in indexed mode you lose all your high-fidelity Photoshoppy input, like soft brushes or a smudge, or even multiple layers. It basically becomes MSPaint. What this method does is allow you to paint something up with full Photoshoppy controls, and pre-visualise what it'll look like after being converted to the game palette. Very handy.

But yeah, they're still otherwise just 160x160 grayscale images. Wouldnt be hard to upscale them and do a bit more detail though. Working up a decent render in greyscale and then doing a gradient map (or whatever kind of colouring, really) is pretty quick and efficient. Could probably just ramp them up to 4k and do a quick paintover.

You know what isn't quick and efficient? Line art. Urgh.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 03:01:01 am »
Shouldnt be a problem, I can just resize the canvas.
Tbh for the time being I've just taken the template from earlier in the thread and worked on the assumption that all screens would be the same, but in retrospect it does seem that some of these have quite a lot of text. I dont know if that makes any difference to how the image has to be aligned.

Yeah, I think it's better to align them, so making them all of 160X160 seems nice.

Anyway, a width of 170 is required for long text (at least for french translations)
Given that the sheet is of 320X240, reducing images to 150X150 and moving them to position (170,40) should be fit the requirements.

I take the new one  for Antimatter Containment ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:20:58 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 04:59:23 am »
Yup.
Got one more for tonight....Plasma wep maintenance, although I suspect some of the other weapon ones may end up being vaguely interchangeable. In any case, actually coming up with weapons is pretty fun.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 07:05:17 am »
Great, I can't wait until I can start adding them! :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »
I tried to refit them so they are compliant with Ufopaedia

How I worked (using GIMP) :
Spoiler:
Copy original FILE.PNG to FILE1.PNG and FILE2.PNG

Open FILE1.PNG :
- Resize to 320X200
- Apply Background color (fill in image with background color => becomes white, but appears black/transparent under ufopaedia)

Open FILE2.PNG :
- Resize to 130X130
- Copy in memory

Switch to FILE1.PNG :
- Paste
- Move it to (95,0) [tip : using CTRL]
- File > Overwrite
See result below

I made some test in order to know how many chars fit in a 180X200 ufopaedia text box : about 780, better limit to 730, depending on words size in different languages

I attached resulting files as a zip archive in case anyone would test them.
Beware : Advanced Robotics, Advanced Technologies and Repair Armors are not from same set, belonging respectively to MickTheMage, Solarius Scorch and Chiko. They were not intended to this purpose, I just used them as I did not have any other, but they will be replaced if some other pics are available

Which settings I am using in order to display them under ufopaedia :

Spoiler:
ufopaedia:
# Alien Neuropsychology
  - id: STR_ALIEN_NEUROPSYCHOLOGY
    type_id: 7
    image_id: IMG_ALIEN_NEUROPSYCHOLOGY_UFOPEDIA
    text_width: 180
    section: STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH_UC
    text: STR_ALIEN_NEUROPSYCHOLOGY_UFOPEDIA
    requires:
      - STR_ALIEN_NEUROPSYCHOLOGY