Author Topic: Instant Battle Option  (Read 11866 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Instant Battle Option
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:51:12 am »
Just before i forget , i think there should be a instant battle option where you can select between the mission types and fight a random assortment of aliens breeds ( OR humans ).

Sometimes as a father i don't have time to do the entire strategy thing i just need to get my bottom kicked a few times by those cheating alien scum :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Battle Option
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:05:28 pm »
Actually there is a cheat to start an instant battle in the current builds right now, with the graphs button, it's for debugging purposes. (I'll have to look for another shortcut, as at some point graphs will be implemented)

What might be interesting to add is a little configuration file in YAML where you can set up the different starting parameters...
You might want to set up the equipment for the soldiers and aliens too.
This can be used as both debugging and people wanting to play a quick battle.

Offline Istrebitel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:21:22 pm »
Actually i'd suggest it to be implemented (if it would be implemented) as a training option in the game.

Add a "holodeck" or something research option somewhat into the middle game (i suggest a followup after alien entertaintment research?). Which would allow you to build a base module.

This would allow X-Com to play training missions as an option from the base menu.

You would be able to choose any weapons and items X-Com has access to or researched, any mission kind you already played (alien base, crashed ship recovery, live ship recovery, terror) on any terrain you already played on (desert, farm,...). Ship missions would require a specific number of said ship missions (based on size) or a research topic on the said ship as well. Enemy race also must be researched (and to allow enemy use of psionics, psionics must be researched). Enemy will also use only weapon sets researched by X-Com.

Those missions could even be giving experience to the soldiers who play, probably at lower rates (or lower rates with each subsequent mission they took part in)

To counter the benefit of giving experience, they could cost money to play. Should be balanced so that its not possible to train your people into supermen, just train some rookies into squaddies with adequate stats so they can stand for their own when base defense comes.

Then, after the game end, possibly unlock training option in the game menu, and subsequent played games should add options to this mode (so if you gain acces to another training mode in another game, that would be added to the main menu option).

Thats of course just a thought. But what a great idea ! :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »
I like that holodeck idea a lot !

We could assign a hotkey to this, maybe "H" in the geoscape, to call a simple configuration screen to start a quick battlescape mission - could double as a way to debug/test certain battlescape scenario's.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:38:16 pm by Daiky »

Offline R

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:12:20 am »
Brilliant idea!

+1

Offline AlienRape

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:18:52 am »
Yes, the holodeck would be an interesting addition, but I propose that it not be implemented before version 1.0. (ie: lets not derail the developers initial target of getting the basic game completed).
Perfect for ver 1.1 though!

Secondly, I'd like to make two minor suggestions to the holodeck idea:
a) Filter/colour the holodeck game slighty, so there's a slight visual difference to real combat & holodeck (a slightly more shade of green or blue?). That way if you reload a save game, you can quickly tell that you haven't dropped into a real combat situation.
b) Stop time when in the holodeck.

Offline Istrebitel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:13 am »
Yes, of course v1.0 should be ONLY classic  X-Com redone, probably with INTERFACE improvements that change nothing else (maybe just automate mundane and boring tasks of re-equipping soldiers every time, or fix annoyances like limits and "no line of sight" and so on).

Filtering colour would also be a great idea as its just a simple pixel shader but would add to the atmosphere.

This idea is actually very broad in what ways it can go.

For example, it could have two modes - real combat simulation and interactive mode.
In interactive mode player could have something akin to a "level editor" (like original Holodeck worked: - "computer, i want a table standing right here" - "specify table, there are 12031204 different kind of tables in the database"). Player could set specific encounters - for example, training for a situation of breaching the small scout with four aliens standing inside, or testing different weapons against different enemies. Player could place aliens and move his men without need to spend TU's, specify alien ranks and x-com and alien equipment, and then play it out, etc. Possibilities are endless.

I just think that incorporating it into the game as a base module and research topic would add alot to the atmosphere and replayability of the game, rather than just making it a straight menu option..

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »
If we are going to switch to a  training ground it  should have similar rules to the Psi-Training room except the benefits would be random over different stats ( TU, strength, shooting accuracey , throwing accuracy bravery and reactions) all at a Cost.

Just have the training room as  a way into the instant action for people who are interested.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
this could even put a use to "alien entertainment":
from https://ufopaedia.org: "The most likely function of these spheres is recreational. The psionic circuitry stimulates various centres of the brain. The effect is similar to hallucinogenic drugs. This is the only evidence that aliens have any cultural or recreational pastimes."

after xcom researches "alien entertainment", a new research option becomes available: "training room" - the technology is adapted to make devices that produce "battle hallucinations" :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 03:20:42 pm »
Ok , just downloaded lastest build,  it looks like the Instant battle idea will be making its way to the Openxcom startup screen on version 0.4. When you get time SupSuper , what kind of Setup file do i need to Create, to make these work?

Could this lead to a Multi player option long after V1.0 :P 

Advertisement Slogan :
 "OpenXcom Play Alone or Bring Your Friends WARNING YOU WILL TAKE CASULTIES "
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:25:07 pm by luke83 »

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:07:40 am »
Istrebitel, I love your idea. Theres one thing I disagree on with:
To counter the benefit of giving experience, they could cost money to play. Should be balanced so that its not possible to train your people into supermen, just train some rookies into squaddies with adequate stats so they can stand for their own when base defense comes.
Given that the base building has maintenance cost (and takes up space - that's probably the main disadvantage), there's probably no need for further payments for missions. You can easily make your men "supermen" by playing regular game too. I'd also keep wounds (you know, the unit is shocked, etc.), but the recovery time would be much faster than after common missions (let's say 1/4 of usual time). Also no soldier could die. And another "disadvantage" is obviously the fact that you take no score, no money and no materials from these missions. I think that it's enough to balance it.

If we are going to switch to a  training ground it  should have similar rules to the Psi-Training room except the benefits would be random over different stats ( TU, strength, shooting accuracey , throwing accuracy bravery and reactions) all at a Cost.
Why randomize the stats? If you actually play it, you can tell what stats the unit should increase.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:44:37 am »
Ok , just downloaded lastest build,  it looks like the Instant battle idea will be making its way to the Openxcom startup screen on version 0.4. When you get time SupSuper , what kind of Setup file do i need to Create, to make these work?
You'll be able to configure battle options directly through the game UI (not finalized yet). Nothing fancy, just stuff like mission type, alien race, light amount, etc. It's what the Battlescape already does, only with the Geoscape removed.
No configuration files yet, as typical players don't tend to realize they exist :P but I might add them in later if you find yourself repeating the same scenario over and over.

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:36:06 pm »
You'll be able to configure battle options directly through the game UI (not finalized yet). Nothing fancy, just stuff like mission type, alien race, light amount, etc. It's what the Battlescape already does, only with the Geoscape removed.
No configuration files yet, as typical players don't tend to realize they exist :P but I might add them in later if you find yourself repeating the same scenario over and over.

Maybe while programming this GUI... Add a option to enter random number seed so we can play an identical battle? It's useful for debugging (and it's fun! :) ). Also if there was a kind of "url" to send as a set of battle options (so that it's easier to share), that'd be nice too :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 01:09:52 pm »
Maybe while programming this GUI... Add a option to enter random number seed so we can play an identical battle? It's useful for debugging (and it's fun! :) ). Also if there was a kind of "url" to send as a set of battle options (so that it's easier to share), that'd be nice too :)

I like this idea.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »
We could assign a hotkey to this, maybe "H" in the geoscape, to call a simple configuration screen to start a quick battlescape mission - could double as a way to debug/test certain battlescape scenario's.
Could I maybe offer a suggestion that you also add it as a button where you select New Game and Load Game?
That way, you don't necessarily need to place a base, name it etc. to get going.

I do like the idea too