aliens

Author Topic: [Request] New weapons for TFTD  (Read 4679 times)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Request] New weapons for TFTD
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:46:55 pm »
I would like:
-General:
--Sniper Rifles for all tiers;

-Graphics for the imminent UFO Defense weapons import mod:
--New looks for the weapons to show off that they advanced during the 40 year timeskip, even if it is barely noticeable with the Plasma weapons due to Elerium shortages.

-Standard Weaponry:
--Dart Gun and Jet Harpoon replaced by guns that look like something the Special Ops would use in water heavy missions, not self defense tools for marine biologists;

-Gauss Weaponry:
--Change the USOpaedia descriptions so that they are actual Gauss weapons, not some kind of weird Plasma weapons off-shoot;
--Add Gauss Auto-Cannon;
--Add Gauss equivalent of a Rocket Launcher;
--Add High-Explosive and Incendiary ammo for above and Heavy Gauss.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [Request] New weapons for TFTD
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:24 am »
I can't see any problems with modding this in. Weapons are your run-of-the-mill modding element.

Offline REDACTED_KUN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:17:26 am »
Sounds interesting.
----------------
--Dart Gun and Jet Harpoon replaced by guns that look like something the Special Ops would use in water heavy missions, not self defense tools for marine biologists;--> Well it has to be Darts and Harpoons as well.
----------------
--Add High-Explosive and Incendiary ammo for above and Heavy Gauss.--> I asked Scorch the one day about high explosive and incendiary ammo for Gauss Weapons. And he said no because i'd just understand or don't understand how gauss weapons operate. He said "Now as you can see we can't fill the bullet with explosives. Because they would be destroyed long before reaching the target." which makes kinda good sense.
----------------
That will be pretty cool to me. *shrugs*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:14:17 am by IseijinBoueiSenben97 »

Offline Blank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:42:27 am »
XOps has an expanded gauss armory mod that has that gauss sniper and autocanon you want.

-Changing gauss weapons to be actual rail guns and thus AP damage leaves the old 'gauss beam' damage to be changed into something else to be used by a new set of weapons. Although "gauss weapons" can legitimately refer to a charged particle beam as well. Lore-wise, I have no idea which particular version would work well under water.

-Stun rounds for the dart gun and riffle seem like great ideas, especially if someone's going to the trouble of re-skinning them.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 02:43:29 pm »
Also look for the IonWeapon mod https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4205.0.html

Fwiw, in my personal mod i changed the Gas Cannon into a Grenade Launcher and added a Stun-Grenade ammo for it. This could be an alternative for your dart-rifle stun ammo idea. Still, a stun ammo for the dart weapons could make them more useful, yes. But be careful and don't give it too much damage or recheck the aliens vulnerabilities, the game can become way too easy by doing so. Been there...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:48:19 pm by new_civilian »

Offline REDACTED_KUN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:12:05 pm »
XOps has an expanded gauss armory mod that has that gauss sniper and autocanon you want.

-Changing gauss weapons to be actual rail guns and thus AP damage leaves the old 'gauss beam' damage to be changed into something else to be used by a new set of weapons. Although "gauss weapons" can legitimately refer to a charged particle beam as well. Lore-wise, I have no idea which particular version would work well under water.

-Stun rounds for the dart gun and riffle seem like great ideas, especially if someone's going to the trouble of re-skinning them.

I know that, Blank. I always do UFO on OXC, not TFTD (Well i haven't tried some TFTD mods). When i do my own OXC storyline and mods with probably someone who is not from openxcom.org, openxcom.com and the OXC forum or a big or small band of role players/RPers at June, July, August, September, October, November or December, i'm gonna do and make my style of everything whatever i want to unless i give credit to anyone who makes mods, designs (Of weapons, Of craft weapons, Of items etc.), rulesets, ruleset references and other stuff.

But. I'll be working on an alien race more similar to the Zerg from Starcraft, the Scrin from C&C, the Tyranids from Warhammer, the Reapers from Mass Effect (I liked to play ME, but no), the Black Arms from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise (Or the Shadow the Hedgehog game?) and other alien races which will be a threat to X-COM, the UFO:EU/TFTD aliens and X-COM Apocalypse aliens and they are more stronger than them.

I guess i'll try some TFTD mods very soon.

Also look for the IonWeapon mod https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4205.0.html

Fwiw, in my personal mod i changed the Gas Cannon into a Grenade Launcher and added a Stun-Grenade ammo for it. This could be an alternative for your dart-rifle stun ammo idea. Still, a stun ammo for the dart weapons could make them more useful, yes. But be careful and don't give it too much damage or recheck the aliens vulnerabilities, the game can become way too easy by doing so. Been there...

I see. That would look pretty good. But changing the Gas Cannon into a grenade launcher sounds nice.

Besides, shinr is not online.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:45:41 pm by IseijinBoueiSenben97 »

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 07:00:30 am »
It would be nice to be able to buy X-Com 1 weapons in TFTD for use on dry land.   At least rocket launchers, and chain guns.  I don't like that the TFTD versions don't work on land.    laser weapons and Xcom 1 tanks for dry land use would be nice as well.

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 10:07:56 pm »
It would be nice to be able to buy X-Com 1 weapons in TFTD for use on dry land.   At least rocket launchers, and chain guns.  I don't like that the TFTD versions don't work on land.    laser weapons and Xcom 1 tanks for dry land use would be nice as well.

Frankly lasers DO work underwater and plasma may also do. Palette-swapping them mayhaps also not hard. Just how to use them? Lasers with unlimited ammo right from the beginning would be a cheat. Plasma may have the same damage profile as gauss so it may make gauss useless.

What about this:
Lasers available from the beginning for MANUFACTURE and need energy cells, deal 5-10 points less damage than gauss.
Plasma available in a number in stores along with clips since the beginning and no way to manufacture or buy them.
No plasma tank but a Coleacanth laser may work (can manufacture after a short research).

That is how I imagine this. I am not a master of code or rulesets so I can not really make this (all things I ever created were wrong and needed strong check and debugging just to never become released for a damn lots of reasons)...