Author Topic: Long War  (Read 5990 times)

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Long War
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »
After an exchange with Solarius Scorch see (Damn I don't now how to link to specfic replies) I'll wing it
It's not exactly on topic, but since you mention it, I'll tell you how we want to deal with this in the final Mod Pack, which should see the light of day soon. Perhaps you can offer some opinion.

Basically, researching lasers and other advanced weapons requires some technical data that can only be acquired by interviewing Engineers, Leaders or Commanders, and also dismantling UFO Power Source; considering you need to develop a technology to build Alien Containment, this is unlikely to happen in the first half of the year. Plasma is even more demanding, since you need all sorts of plasma-related advances to work with this.

However, researching Alien Alloys gives you access to better ammunition for human weapons, which is around 33% stronger than the basic ammo. Frankly, it still sucks against stronger aliens, mostly because it's still AP damage, but it's better than nothing.
I used to be a designer in Fusilier Games in the 70s. Unfortunately I left that field just as computer games  were beginning to take off.
For balance I would suggest that Lasers weapons need the research and use of alien alloys. This would delay their implementation and encourage the use of convential weapons and their mods for longer. Actually I would like to begin a Long War topic. Should I post this under Suggestions or Modding/Experiments.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Long War
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 04:38:27 pm »
Actually I would like to begin a Long War topic. Should I post this under Suggestions or Modding/Experiments.

Long War as in the mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)?

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:50:32 pm »
Long War as in the mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)?
Yes it is, but Oxcom could benefit from this, especially as so many mods effect conventianal (dman where's the spell checker) weapons and a prolongation of there use would be fun (and desirable IMHO).

It could be called Prolonged War or suchlike to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:12:04 pm by SenniTrebor »

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »
Just realized that a lot of what I wanted to cover is a;ready being considered in FMP thread.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:29:41 am »
Just realized that a lot of what I wanted to cover is a;ready being considered in FMP thread.

I plan to release a beta version very soon for people to actually test, so you'll be able to compare it. Still, this is not the only possible Long War mod, so perhaps we'll learn from each other? :)

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 06:30:01 am »
I plan to release a beta version very soon for people to actually test, so you'll be able to compare it. Still, this is not the only possible Long War mod, so perhaps we'll learn from each other? :)
I do apologise solarius, I didn't realise the FMP thread was a long war mod. Duh! Probably I have begun this prematurely.Sometimes I feel that I am blundering around this forum like a bull in a chinashop. Or more appropriately a happy wet dog in a laundry.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:43:14 pm »
Sometimes I feel that I am blundering around this forum like a bull in a chinashop. Or more appropriately a happy wet dog in a laundry.

The only ones exempt from mistakes are those who don't do any work ;)

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:36:48 pm »
The only ones exempt from mistakes are those who don't do any work ;)
cool, I'll make you my forum guru.

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:11 pm »
How many long war mods are there then?
Is OpenXcomWar such a mod?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:12:34 am by SenniTrebor »