Author Topic: Mod Compatability  (Read 36416 times)

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Compatability
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »
It's not exactly on topic, but since you mention it, I'll tell you how we want to deal with this in the final Mod Pack, which should see the light of day soon. Perhaps you can offer some opinion.

Basically, researching lasers and other advanced weapons requires some technical data that can only be acquired by interviewing Engineers, Leaders or Commanders, and also dismantling UFO Power Source; considering you need to develop a technology to build Alien Containment, this is unlikely to happen in the first half of the year. Plasma is even more demanding, since you need all sorts of plasma-related advances to work with this.

However, researching Alien Alloys gives you access to better ammunition for human weapons, which is around 33% stronger than the basic ammo. Frankly, it still sucks against stronger aliens, mostly because it's still AP damage, but it's better than nothing.
I used to be a designer in Fusilier Games in the 70s. Unfortunately I left that field just as computer games  were beginning to take off.
For balance I would suggest that Lasers weapons need the research and use of alien alloys. This would delay their implementation and encourage the use of convential weapons and their mods for longer. Actually I would like to begin a Long War topic. Should I post this under Suggestions or Modding/Experiments.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:33:25 pm by SenniTrebor »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 03:42:33 pm »
I used to be a designer in Fusilier Games in the 70s. Unfortunately I left that field just as computer games  were beginning to take off.

Wow. :)

Anyway, my reply to you is here, since I didn't want to overtake this thread.

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 04:16:17 pm »
First, about your installation, could you check that :

1) Contents of mods listed below have been copied directly under "OpenXcom\Data"
- Alien Armoury Expanded 1.3.3
- Custom Grenades
- Dart Rifle 1.4
- Equal Terms Mod v0.8
- Gauss Mod 1.3
- Shotgun
- Sniper Rifle
- Stun Grenade

2) Contents of mods listed below have been copied under "OpenXcom\Data\Ruleset"
- Plasma Beam Mod
- QuickDraw Hip Slot

3) Regarding Railgun mod :
Do not copy contents of folder "Railgun V2" directly under "OpenXcom\Data"
You have to copy contents of subfolder "Railgun V2\Railgun" under "OpenXcom\Data"

4) Regarding Scoutdrone mod :
Contents consist in :
- .rul files : these files have to be copied under Ruleset
- Scoutdrone subfolder : this subfolder has to be copied under Resources (and not "contents of this subfolder" !)

Alien Armoury Expanded 1.3.3
Maps ok
Resources ok
ROUTES ok
Ruleset ok

Custom Grenades
Resources ok
Ruleset ok

-Dart Rifle 1.4
Resources ok
Ruleset ok

- Equal Terms Mod v0.8
Ruleset ok

- Gauss Mod 1.3
Resources ok
Ruleset ok

- Shotgun
Resources ok
Ruleset ok

- Sniper Rifle
Resources ok
Ruleset ok

- Stun Grenade
Resources ok
Ruleset ok

- Plasma Beam Mod
Ruleset ok

- QuickDraw Hip Slot
Ruleset ok

Railgun V2\Railgun
Resources ok
Ruleset ok

Scoutdrone mod :
- .rul files : under Ruleset ok
- Scoutdrone subfolder:  under Resources ok

All seems in order

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 04:19:08 pm »
Good !

Check now this one

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 04:41:28 pm »
Find attach corrected file : just install into ruleset subfolder (replace existing one)

I will alert the owner of Equal Terms mod
Sorry could not find an attchment other than images. m'I bad.

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 05:08:10 pm »
However, researching Alien Alloys gives you access to better ammunition for human weapons, which is around 33% stronger than the basic ammo. Frankly, it still sucks against stronger aliens, mostly because it's still AP damage, but it's better than nothing.
It was suggested that I not enable alloy ammo as this may conflict with equal terms.

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 05:44:45 pm »
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)#User_Folder
Do you think I should reinstall Oxcom to implement this as it seems my current install may be compromised.
Actually why doesn't Oxcom have this as standard to ease copying of the game for seperate mod folders.
Damn I'm going to arrange a visit with Abertay Uni's computer games department. There's such holes in my knowledge base.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 06:38:15 pm »
Actually why doesn't Oxcom have this as standard to ease copying of the game for seperate mod folders.
It contradicts the recommended standard for Windows programs... Data/Config/Work directory is supposed to be in AppData (preferably) or My Documents, so that :
- different users of same computer can have separate savegames and preferences
- you can easily back up your data because it's all in the same place, and also uninstall the program while keeping your data for later
- protection against virus : for a users without admin rights, the entire Program Files tree is not writable. A malicious program may mess with your data, but at least it won't infect and alter the behaviour of other programs.

As you saw, the downside is that two copies of the same program will (try to) keep their files in the same place.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 07:36:44 pm »
It was suggested that I not enable alloy ammo as this may conflict with equal terms.

File is attached just before the first image
Here you have

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 08:43:34 pm »
File is attached just before the first image
Here you have
Oops, sorry and thank you very much. Now back to the game. IF I can remember what order I enabled the mods in!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:37 pm »
Do you think I should reinstall Oxcom to implement this as it seems my current install may be compromised.
Damn I'm going to arrange a visit with Abertay Uni's computer games department. There's such holes in my knowledge base.
I don't wanna risk getting bug reports if people put Oxcom somewhere it can't access without admin permissions. :P
However you don't have to reinstall the game, just move your user folder from "C:\Users\...\Documents\OpenXcom" to "C:\...\OpenXcom\user" and it should work.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:11:27 pm by SupSuper »

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 10:54:34 pm »
I don't wanna risk getting bug reports if people put Oxcom somewhere it can't access without admin permissions. :P
However you don't have to reinstall the game, just move your user folder from "C:\Users\...\Documents\OpenXcom" to "C:\...\OpenXcom\user" and it should work.
Sorry, just to clarify, do you meant:
copy OpenXcom folder From C:\Users\robert\Documents To C:\Program Files\OpenXcom - Modded\user

Seems to have worked even when I ported in the latest nightly
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:12:27 am by SenniTrebor »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 01:04:28 am »
You need to copy it and then rename that folder to "user", so all your options/saves/etc are in a C:\Program Files\OpenXcom\user folder.
To clarify, normally if you just make a "user" folder in OpenXcom after installing, the game will use that. But if you already have a Documents\OpenXcom folder, the game will use that instead.
So this way you fix both problems at once. ;)

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:46 am »
You need to copy it and then rename that folder to "user", so all your options/saves/etc are in a C:\Program Files\OpenXcom\user folder.
To clarify, normally if you just make a "user" folder in OpenXcom after installing, the game will use that. But if you already have a Documents\OpenXcom folder, the game will use that instead.
So this way you fix both problems at once. ;)
Sorry you replied as I was rewriting last post.
I moved the OpenXcom folder into a folder called user within the OpenXcom program folder and it seems to have worked.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 02:03:51 am »
It contradicts the recommended standard for Windows programs... Data/Config/Work directory is supposed to be in AppData (preferably) or My Documents

Recommended by whom, Bill Gates? :P

Because I don't believe there's anyone else in the world who likes this work of Satan. And if they do, they should be burned alive. :P