aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread  (Read 308498 times)

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2015, 12:48:35 am »
It's... actually shocking how well the controls work with a touchscreen, isn't it? The only thing I've had problems with is the buy/sell/transfer screens and that would be easily rectified if I wasn't too lazy to get a stylus.

Offline Katinka

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2015, 06:32:02 pm »
Hello!
Great work!
I play on Android Lollipop and it works very fine.

QUESTION:
Can I add the original PSx Xcom "Sounds" and Music to the android version?
At least the music would be great.

Thank you

Offline fooble

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2015, 12:48:03 pm »
I just signed up to say thank you so much for porting this to Android, I have the biggest grin on my face at the though of being able to shoot aliens on the go! =D =D

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2015, 07:47:06 am »
Hello!
Great work!
I play on Android Lollipop and it works very fine.

QUESTION:
Can I add the original PSx Xcom "Sounds" and Music to the android version?
At least the music would be great.

Thank you

Certainly is possible!

Sounds:

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/ufo-defense-psx-sound-effects

Music:

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/ufo-defense-psx-music

Offline Acrid

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2015, 04:20:07 pm »
Hello, I installed OpenXcom for pc and everything works great!  I'm pretty good at following instructions but I seem to be having some trouble getting this to work on my tablet.

The issue that I'm getting is that every time the game loads it asks me where my data is.  I point it in the right direction and it asks me to save and restart.  It then goes back to the dos looking screen and keeps asking me to save and restart.  The status shows green lettering that says "Version 1.4+ (Collector's Edition)."  It continues to loop like this and won't ever load the game.

I tried the install on my phone to see if it was a device specific issue but the exact same thing occurs.  I have a rooted Samsung S3 tablet 7" and an HTC One M9 that is stock.  I figured that I must have an issue with my data files or I'm pointing the installation in the wrong direction somehow.  I have tried different nightly builds and have used my original X-com data and my OpenXcom data. 

If someone could help me figure out where I went wrong I'd be grateful.  My only concern is that if I can play X-com on the go I may never get any work done again!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:32:18 pm by Acrid »

Offline sleepdealer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2015, 06:24:09 pm »
This is fucking awesome.

That is all.

Offline shult12

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »
I can't start the game. I've moved the game data for both UFO and TFTD to the correct directory. However, when I launch the game I get the black screen with copyright and stuff and then it just crashes. I'm on Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, Android 4.1.2

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2015, 08:47:55 pm »
Looks like I've once again forgotten about my thread. My bad! Anyway, let me try to sort things out:

Hello, I installed OpenXcom for pc and everything works great!  I'm pretty good at following instructions but I seem to be having some trouble getting this to work on my tablet.

If you're talking about the instructions on the Ufopaedia.org website - yeah, these are outdated. Still, they're probably too confusing for their own good, so I've decided to finally update them.

Anyway, you should try doing a "clean install" (deleting anything related to OpenXcom on your device and installing the .apk again). Copy only your game data (not OpenXcom files!) to a folder on your device, and make the "preloader" use this data. Everything else is contained inside the .apk itself.

If the problem persists, try getting a logcat dump of the loading process - OpenXcom sends quite a bit of debug information to the system log!

I can't start the game. I've moved the game data for both UFO and TFTD to the correct directory. However, when I launch the game I get the black screen with copyright and stuff and then it just crashes. I'm on Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, Android 4.1.2

That's weird. Maybe you're missing some resources? Try getting a logcat, it should definitely help diagnose the problem!

Also, since there's been a lot going on in the upstream, there's (finally) a new version out! It contains everything from the "big" OpenXcom, all of those bugfixes and niceties like buying/selling categories and soldier diaries. Grab it at the modsite: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/openxcom-android-nightly - or from my Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-v1.0-g00e6d99.apk

Be sure to report any faults and have fun!

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2016, 07:54:27 am »
Hi I'm using this port on my samsung phone and so far everythin is splendid. Maybe some interface enhancements would rock, like how it sucks to use the buy sell arrows and similar. Also, the ones that make soldier and skyranger equip go up and fown.

Even made my own ghetto stylus so I could play this.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2016, 07:26:48 pm »
Got two crashes yesterday. Does this port have crashlogs? Want to send them your way if it does.
Of course, it may have glitched because of FMP instead, but that's what the log is for.

Also, any idea why the game restarts from the loading screen if I change programs?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:28:41 pm by Slaughter »

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2016, 04:39:37 am »
Got two crashes yesterday. Does this port have crashlogs? Want to send them your way if it does.
Of course, it may have glitched because of FMP instead, but that's what the log is for.

Also, any idea why the game restarts from the loading screen if I change programs?

openxcom.log is present here, where your saves go IIRC.
Restarting from the loading screen is a quirk of Android. Some devices are pretty bad at multitasking so they'll kill apps that don't have active focus at the moment.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2016, 05:58:50 am »
Just looked at the file and apparently nothing is written on it. It had o kb and when I open it, there's also absolutely nothing.

Anything to do with the fact the game itself is in the simulated SD while the save folder is in the cell external SD? Only way I could get it to work, I need to root this thing.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:00:44 am by Slaughter »

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2016, 05:51:24 pm »
Possibly, but I have no clue. If you can get at the logcat, it might help.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2016, 05:56:22 pm »
Logcat?

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
    • View Profile