Author Topic: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread  (Read 308400 times)

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been out of touch for so long. Anyway, there's a new version available!

I can't upload it to the modsite at the moment, so there's just a Dropbox link available: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-1.0-g51856cd.apk

The build is based on current upstream 98d5381. Not much to say in terms of Android-specific stuff, though I've tried making first run easier: if the game can't find its data, it will ask for data path; you can also specify the folders you want to use to store your saves and configuration files. Note that this feature is not exactly foolproof, nor is it tested enough, so prepare for various bugs (I'm pretty sure you can copy the entire contents of your SD card to the app's private storage with that).

This build may or may not have problems with touchscreen precision, though I've tried to address that issue. Try changing video options if you run into some problems, I'm using the "Display 1/3" option which seems to work just fine.

There's also an unpleasant bug which is caused by entering and exiting (via the "cancel" button) the options screen on a clean install: after that the touches no longer register like they should. If you don't have any method of resizing the game "window" after that (like, for example, hiding or showing the on-screen Android controls), you'll have to exit the game and restart it. Starting a new battle after a clean install may also lead to crashes.

Still, I'm still somewhere around and hope to update the port from time to time!

P.S. If you're experiencing bugs/crashes, try removing "openxcom_*_marker" files from the data folder to force data update; it seems to not work sometimes.

Offline xoen

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »
Hello, this is my first post there..
First of all, i'd like to say THANK YOU for this project.
I spent LOTS of time playing Amy versions(a500 first, without hdd, then a1200+4mb ram and with 89mb seagate)...i am 36 y.o. now...terrified by actual gaming world...just terrified.

I need help, though - everything is working ok, but since i am fiddling with another batch of mods, i got into crashes.
Everything was ok until i added most of this list:
Ryskeliini_GunsNGadgets_1st_pack_v12.zip
FarmAddonTerrain_v1.0.zip
CityAddonTerrain_v1.0.zip
AlienBaseAddonTerrain_v1.2.zip
GaussMod_1.6b.zip
HMG-2.zip
HMG.zip
CustomGrenades.zip
Alien Armoury Expanded_1.3.9.zip
RecycledAlienCollection_1.3.zip
Terrain Pack v2.3.zip
gazer_alien_1.6_OpenXcomMOD.zip
anthropod_alien_1.5_OpenXcomMOD.zip
gazer_alien_1.5a_OpenXcomMOD.zip
cover_alien_2.3a_OpenXcomMOD.zip
men_in_black_4.2_OpenXcomMOD.zip
ubase0.31c.zip
XCOM_Raven(v1).zip
Sentinel.zip
AlienBaseCave_v1.2.zip
Reproduction.zip
Dropship_1.2.zip
CityAddonTerrain_v1.1.zip
AlienBaseAddon_v2.0.zip
I have no list of earlier batch list of mods i was using succesfully until i added above things.
Of course, i tried to avoid using conflicting mods, but last batch destroyed my game.

How to track what is crashing my actual game?

Log is clean, 0 bytes, is there any way to determine what's causing my crash?
Crash occurs when i start fight in attacked city, after load battlemap and after save.
Repeatable, always clean log.
Since i am using terrain, weapon, alien, and crafts mod-set, lack of debugging left me..sad :(
I know i could turn off mod by mod to try to determine wth, but...i need more civilized method to save my campaign, you know...

Btw, i am trying to imagine openxcom as base, when enemy uknown was made....damn, can you imagine openxcom in 1993?
Where this kind of games would be now then?..sigh.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:12:49 pm by xoen »

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2014, 03:35:01 am »
xoen, thanks for your interest in the project! First of all, let me clarify: does the game crash WITHOUT any mod on? If it does, then it's probably an issue with the auto-updater; that will probably happen on Samsung devices, especially if you've got your data on an SD card. Try renaming your OpenXcom folder and running the game again, you'll be prompted to point the game to the data location.

As for your question, well, the app log is written to Android's log, and you'll need some way to read it ('adb logcat' command will help you if you've got your device hooked up to a PC, and there's a bunch of apps to read log as well, though they require root permissions). Still, I don't think it will help much with finding out which mod caused the crash. Also, keep in mind that each mod increases memory consumption, and you might run into memory issues pretty easily.

So, unfortunately, your best bet is to try each mod one by one and check if all of them work fine by themselves. Also, make sure your mod combination works fine on a PC; checking OpenXcom's memory footprint might also be useful. Keep in mind that Android devices are not the same power-houses as x86-based desktops and laptops are; they're much more memory-constrained, have less computing power and less bus bandwidth.

Offline xoen

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2014, 06:55:10 pm »
Thanks for Your reply!
I had no issues until i added another batch of mods(but - on second thought it converged with installing latest nightly...
Funny thing - i did not think about checking logcat(facepalm) - if crash is done by missing file, i think i will see which one..if not, it may be harder to determine what's the cause.

Ahh, i forgot - are saves "cleaning" itselves when mods are turned off? Unused data are trimmed or something(of course to some extend, i suppose)?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:51:16 pm by xoen »

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2014, 07:18:28 am »
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been out of touch for so long. Anyway, there's a new version available!

I can't upload it to the modsite at the moment, so there's just a Dropbox link available: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-1.0-g51856cd.apk

The build is based on current upstream 98d5381. Not much to say in terms of Android-specific stuff, though I've tried making first run easier: if the game can't find its data, it will ask for data path; you can also specify the folders you want to use to store your saves and configuration files. Note that this feature is not exactly foolproof, nor is it tested enough, so prepare for various bugs (I'm pretty sure you can copy the entire contents of your SD card to the app's private storage with that).

This build may or may not have problems with touchscreen precision, though I've tried to address that issue. Try changing video options if you run into some problems, I'm using the "Display 1/3" option which seems to work just fine.

There's also an unpleasant bug which is caused by entering and exiting (via the "cancel" button) the options screen on a clean install: after that the touches no longer register like they should. If you don't have any method of resizing the game "window" after that (like, for example, hiding or showing the on-screen Android controls), you'll have to exit the game and restart it. Starting a new battle after a clean install may also lead to crashes.

Still, I'm still somewhere around and hope to update the port from time to time!

P.S. If you're experiencing bugs/crashes, try removing "openxcom_*_marker" files from the data folder to force data update; it seems to not work sometimes.

There was a problem with the host while I was out of town and without internet, but it's been resolved and the modsite is online. I'm in the proces of adding failover protection so the site never goes down :)

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2014, 11:06:43 pm »
There was a problem with the host while I was out of town and without internet, but it's been resolved and the modsite is online.

Nice to have it - and you - back! Might as well upload a new version. Go grab it at https://www.openxcom.com/mod/openxcom-android-nightly!

It's based on the fe85f68 upstream version. This build introduces the System options menu, which contains Android-port-specific settings. For now it's the way to turn soldiers (you may turn on or off swiping and long-pressing), Android UI setting (display software buttons, dim them or turn them off completely (requires KitKat and above)) and forcing game folder changes.

xoen, as for your troubles: well, if you load a savegame with mods missing, the game will try to remove everything related to the missing mods, AFAIK. Don't know if that helps.

Offline Computica

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2014, 01:04:12 am »
Can you make a mirror? I can't download at the mod site atm.

Offline Omega69

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2014, 01:45:33 am »
Me neither. Got error message that file is not on server

Odesláno z mého SM-N9005 pomocí Tapatalk

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2014, 02:19:36 am »
Huh, I encounter the same problem. Jo5hua!..

Anyway, here's my trusty Dropbox:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-1.0-g44243eb.apk

Offline Omega69

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2014, 02:37:04 am »
Dropbox works well

Odesláno z mého SM-N9005 pomocí Tapatalk

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2014, 11:29:35 pm »
Well, looks like there wasn't anything breaking in the last build, so let's try to change that  :P

New version!
  • Based on upstream 23bbe90;
  • Reworked System menu a bit
  • Moved turning options to Advanced->Battlescape where they belong;
  • You can only choose those UI options that are available on your device;
  • Logging can be directed to file (openxcom.log, located with your configuration files), to the system log, or disabled completely
  • Added debug options:
    • Log touches: Every touch event will be sent to the log. Should help when troubleshooting stuck buttons. Off by default.
    • Fake events: Send "fake" mouseUp events if a fingerUp event is missed. Should help with stuck buttons. On by default (was actually on for quite a while)
    • Force GL mode: Force SDL to choose RGB565 GL config instead of automatic selection. Should help with red-tinted screen on some devices.

As always, please download from the Modsite (https://www.openxcom.com/mod/openxcom-android-nightly), and use my Dropbox link if you're having trouble downloading the game (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-1.0-g68acd87.apk.zip)

Offline caleafterearth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2014, 02:34:18 am »
Any idea when this will hit the play store? Seems perfectly stable to me...

Offline Bobby Buns

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2014, 06:46:27 pm »
I have this problem where it won't install properly. It does the preloader, but then it goes to a black screen where it says something about loading openxcom. when i check both xcom folders(one on mnt/sd and the other just on /sd) the only thing there is options.cfg. any help?
EDIT: I am using an HTC Incredible 1.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:58:56 pm by Bobby Buns »

Offline Mariner

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2015, 08:03:54 pm »
Wondering if this is still ongoing. I'm sure it's a holiday hiatus but just being sure...

Offline Sat

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2015, 11:05:47 pm »
I have an issue - While OpenXcom started to load it shows Screen with pathes. I choose right pathes and hit Save&Restart and again this screen appears to me. What am I doing wrong ?