aliens

Author Topic: [CRAFT] 4 weapon aircraft  (Read 27687 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
[CRAFT] 4 weapon aircraft
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »
I made some mockup of possible placing 2 new weapons on intercept window:

What you think about this placement?

[edit]
Code is available at:
https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom/tree/MoreCraftWeapons
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:34:24 pm by Yankes »

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Mockup of 4 weapon aircraft
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:09:22 pm »
I think it's a good idea. It could be used in the future to diversify crafts (more creative space for modders).

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:39:00 pm »
I'd like that. of course, given the current weapons, a four-weapon craft would be waaayy overpowered, but if you nerf the weapons accordingly... this would be very interesting.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »
I'd like that. of course, given the current weapons, a four-weapon craft would be waaayy overpowered, but if you nerf the weapons accordingly... this would be very interesting.
Or raise damageMax of ufos...

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:33 pm »
great solution please merge ? :)
(i hope you sort the weapons that longrange comes in the upper position )

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:45 am »
I'd imagine this would require extensive programming work in the source code within the Craft Armament window, UI, and programming behind it, as well as the battle screen as well as all damage modifiers code for attacks... Seems like a lot of work :)

What about a new stronger weapon if you so desire? Maybe.... nuclear missile or something I dunno..

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 12:58:01 am »
This is mockup, I can merge .png with .cpp file :D
I simply wanted testes how it would look like if I add more weapons.

Sorting weapons by range is good idea, this will solve problem with crossing lines.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 01:24:55 am »
A wonderful initiative! Not only for X-Com, but also Piratez and the like.

Sorting weapons by range is good idea, this will solve problem with crossing lines.

Yeah, I think this is necessary.

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:55 am »
One balancing factor could be introducing the notion of weapon size or slot type. Power draw and/or weight limit could also be options. You'll never fit three plasma cannons (large energy slot) on a basic interceptor that only has one small ballistic slot, two medium missile slots, and nowhere near enough power output to feed them or enough thrust to take off with that kind of load. :P

As for the display, you could also colourcode the weapons and their range-markers. R/G/B/Y.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:29:49 am by Arcalane »

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:29:36 am »
Can't wait to see that implemented into the game! 3-4 weapon pods/mounts crafts would allow for very interesting strategy!

There are concerns with crafts being overpowered, but besides already mentioned solutions, 4 weapons could be limited to only very early designs with 2-3 weapons reserved for later ones. I'm sure it will be possible to balance everything.

I don't think it will, because aircraft could be equipped with 4 identical weapons, for example Avalanche Lounchers - so still at some point lines would cross. Unless I don't understand what you mean by crossing lines. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 01:31:05 am »

I don't think it will, because aircraft could be equipped with 4 identical weapons, for example Avalanche Lounchers - so still at some point lines would cross. Unless I don't understand what you mean by crossing lines. :)

No, I think you understand well. But if there are weapons with the same range, it should be pretty clear from the picture anyway.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:47:23 am »
+1 ::)

Offline tnarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 02:11:39 pm »
This would give modders options.  I like it.  Also it would be nice to give the player the abitity to turn off some wepons for example fusion ball luncher when fighting small UFOs.

Also if you could add a list of wepons that can't go in some slots would be usfull.  XCom and UFO craft weapons would need to be rebalanced but they need that anyway.
It would also be nice if UFO could have more then one weapon.  for example a week long range one and a more powerfull short range one.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 02:21:05 pm »
This would give modders options.  I like it.  Also it would be nice to give the player the abitity to turn off some wepons for example fusion ball luncher when fighting small UFOs.

That's already in, just click the weapon icon to deactivate it. :)

Also if you could add a list of wepons that can't go in some slots would be usfull.  XCom and UFO craft weapons would need to be rebalanced but they need that anyway.

You mean different kinds of weapons slots? I'm not against it, but I'd prefer a more technical approach, like in 4X strategies (StarDrive etc.) For example, energy management - a craft can only produce a number of energy units, and each weapon has energy consumption level, so you can't strap four most powerful guns on any plane. Something like that.

It would also be nice if UFO could have more then one weapon.  for example a week long range one and a more powerfull short range one.

Yes, and possibly limited missiles. :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 12:17:20 am »
This time real screen of weapon equip:

4 weapons

1 weapon