Author Topic: Problem Installing with steam  (Read 5117 times)

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Problem Installing with steam
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:40:01 am »
Tried to install with steam xcom, but installer detected xcomutil even though i had uninstalled it and verified cache. Now Oxcom won't run.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Installing with steam
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:05:02 pm »
IF standard installation does not work and you are under Windows 7, you can try this (also manual installation : get the OpenXcom zip archive)

1) Create folder OpenXcom

2) Create two subfolders OpenXcom\Data and OpenXcom\User

3) From Steam installation folder, copy following folders: GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO, UNITS and paste them under OpenXcom\Data

4) Download Universal Patch, extract it and paste files into OpenXcom\Data (also should merge some folders and asking for replacing files : answer Yes)

5) Extract OpenXcom archive and paste files into OpenXcom (also should merge some folders and asking for replacing files : answer Yes)

File structure should be as above (folders between brackets) :

[OpenXcom]
     [Data]
          [GEODATA]
          [GEOGRAPH]
          [Language]
          [MAPS]
          [Resources]
          [ROUTES]
          [Ruleset]
          [Shaders]
          [SoldierName]
          [SOUND]
          [TERRAIN]
          [UFOGRAPH]
          [UFOINTRO]
          [UNITS]
          Openxcom.png
          README.txt
     [User]
- xxx.txt
- xxx.dll
- Openxcom.exe

Eventually zip it now for any further purpose, like reinstalling it due to mods that would make it crash

Then install some mods (also under Data) if you want, and activate them after start up (under Options > Mods)

And start game with OpenXcom.exe...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:27:39 pm by Aldorn »

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Installing with steam
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:13:56 pm »
IF standard installation does not work and you are under Windows 7, you can try this (also manual installation : get the OpenXcom zip archive)

Dear Aldorn,
First thank you for your prompt reply.
I discovered that, although I had uninstalled XcomUtil, the fact that the XcomUtil installer was still in my ufo defense steam app folder must have been the cause of the error. By deleting all XCOMUTIL and XcuSetup files,and then validating the cache, I was able to run the OXOM installer successfully.
I thank you for your patience and help towards an elderly member of the community.