Author Topic: Simulating Nu!XCOM's adjacency bonus with extended facilities  (Read 3658 times)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
One of the few neat things Nu!XCOM had is that adjacent facilities of the same type got bonuses.

As far as I can understand, coding something similar in OpenXcom would be problematic, so how about simulating it with 1x2/2x1, 1x3/3x1, 1x4/4x1 and 2x2 versions of existing facilities?

Examples: One vanilla laboratory can hold room for 50 scientists; 1x2 can hold 120, 50x2 plus 20 from extra space; 2x2 is 300, 50x4 plus 80 from horizontal and vertical adjacency plus 20 from the new space in the middle.

Question: Can OpenXcom make hangars have more than one plane? Since having three hangars at the top is a common layout for base defense building, it would be nice having a 2x6/6x2 Hangar, or even 4x4 if you are very confident about defending your base.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Simulating Nu!XCOM's adjacency bonus with extended facilities
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:09 am »
yes you can mod the hangar to have more planes
you also have teh ability to make facilities >2x2 but i failed to get as working map for base defense missions

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:17:07 pm »
Somewhat related to this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2033.0

As for the idea itself... Well, I just don't know. I would have to know more.

What kind of bouns would synergized Living Quarters have? Morale bonus from better rest and entertainment? :)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:13:05 pm »
At the most basic, the same but more: More room in Living Quarters\Stores\Labs\Psi-Labs\Workshops\Prison\Hangars, Higher chance to hit for Defense Facilities, Bigger Detection Range and/or Better Chances of detecting UFOs with Radars etc, etc.

Also, I think for the sake of balance the Hangars should have smaller bonuses: Due to the size of the crafts and the necessary equipment to service them, you need a minimum of 3 Hangars stacked in a line(2x6/6x2) to get a enough room for the extra 4th craft, or a 4x4 to fit the 5th Craft in the Center.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:16:44 pm by shinr »

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 06:06:23 pm »
It would be cool if this also shows graphically in the base menu and in the battlescape, like putting a living quarters next to another would merge them so it looks like it's one facility instead of two.