aliens

Author Topic: XCOM Post Mortem  (Read 16908 times)

Volutar

Re: XCOM Post Mortem
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 06:31:58 am »
Who's Jake Solomon? First time heard of that dude. I guess he's one of hundereds of thousands of employees who didn't even write a line of code...

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:42:44 am »
Now they've followed it up with a CLASH OF THE TITANS Julian Gollop and Jake Solomon (old X-Com and new XCOM) meeting for the first time: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/02/x-com-vs-xcom-gollop-vs-solomon-past-vs-present/
Thanks, I'll have a read (or watch, as I've just noticed it's a vid)

Who's Jake Solomon? First time heard of that dude. I guess he's one of hundereds of thousands of employees who didn't even write a line of code...
He is (was) the lead designer on the new XCOM game. Check the link from this post
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,357.msg9569.html#msg9569

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 04:59:05 pm »
Wow great presentation, tbh I always was 'grr Microprose made stuff bad with their evil publisher ways' but it's nice to see they actually gave a huge inspiration of the game and the parts that I loved.

Still think they rushed Apoc though :P

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:05 pm »
Julian Gollop seems to be really in love with the new xcom - "the phoenix rising from the ashes"

Volutar

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 05:23:26 pm »
Comparing new xcom with old xcom enfoncer or xcom interceptor - he's right.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
Still think they rushed Apoc though :P
I wouldn't say "rushed" since it apparently took 2-3 years. :P But I would've loved to hear the full story behind X-Com Apocalypse. He's only mentioned it in passing in interviews and apparently it was the complete opposite of the original X-Com, a really bumpy and overambitious development. Much more interesting to hear. ;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 05:48:42 pm »
I wouldn't say "rushed" since it apparently took 2-3 years. :P But I would've loved to hear the full story behind X-Com Apocalypse. He's only mentioned it in passing in interviews and apparently it was the complete opposite of the original X-Com, a really bumpy and overambitious development. Much more interesting to hear. ;)

I might tweet him and see if he'll ever do something like that.

In fact, does anyone have any questions regarding Apocalypse? I might try and group them all together and see if I can "interview" him on it :)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 07:10:50 pm »
I might tweet him and see if he'll ever do something like that.

In fact, does anyone have any questions regarding Apocalypse? I might try and group them all together and see if I can "interview" him on it :)

Ask him what he thinks about OpenXcom :D

Volutar

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:50 pm »
pmprog, he already ignored my question about "opportunity fire" (in ufo) which replaced "enemy spotted" free action from laser squad...:(
if you'll be interviewing him, please ask this too.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 04:42:41 pm »

There was a little bit he wrote when mythosgames.com (now defunct) was still around about the cut features of Apocalypse, and luckily I trawled through the wayback machine to find it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010411120930https:///www.mythosgames.com/xcomapocalypse.htm

It's sad looking at all the features that could have been in it but were cut, also I really liked the pausable real-time, it needed a bit of balancing to make it harder to abuse but it's a great feature to give the feel of making strategic descisions while actually looking a bit more realistic of a how a battle would be and interesting with all the projectiles flying about.