aliens

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Mod Installation Access is Denied  (Read 3844 times)

Offline lorrdmatt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Mod Installation Access is Denied
« on: June 21, 2014, 08:20:49 pm »
Hi guys. Excited to get stuck and play some OpenXcom but I'm having a problem installing mods. Whenever I try to extract the mod data into the OpenXcom data folder (following the installation instructions) I get an error message in WinRAR telling me that I can't copy the files across because "access is denied". I have tried this with a few different mods, and it happens every time. I'm the admin on this computer, and I wasn't prompted to give admin permission for anything to happen. Apologies if I'm making some rookie mistake, but has anyone else had a similar problem?

EDIT: Turns out I was making a rookie mistake, I think I've fixed it. Excellent first post in the forum .... Thanks anyway!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:00:41 am by lorrdmatt »

niculinux

Re: Mod Installation Access is Denied
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »
Are you on windows or linux?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 09:03:09 pm »
Unless you run WinRAR itself as admin, you can't extract directly to something in Program Files. Alternatively you can just make a "data" folder in Documents\OpenXcom that you don't need admin permissions to use.

Offline lorrdmatt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:55:01 pm »
Yeah, that was the rookie mistake I was making. I'm an idiot! thanks for the replies though.