Author Topic: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback  (Read 155377 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback
« Reply #1395 on: January 02, 2017, 02:39:05 pm »
Attaching the new civilians: bigobs, florobs and sprites.
(Made by Dioxine and me.)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • This alien aggression will not stand, man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 02, 2017, 07:09:21 pm »
I should've said "tall stairs" instead.  But yeah, it's the ones that go up two levels; they all seem to have a tile that acts like a hole so they're essentially broken.

You should also check similar maps with tall stairs just to be sure.

My confusion was because the stairs in the pic I posted had issues in the past with large units trying to use them. When you posted the report I thought it was still related to that issue, but I'm guessing the fix for it caused the other stairs to get broken.

They will be fixed, but as you mentioned, this issue will also apply to other terrains so I'll need to go over all the maps.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 03, 2017, 04:15:20 am »
Here's a quick fix for the HWP Factory, just unzip the AREARAID00.MAP to the /MAPS subfolder in Area 51's folder and replace the existing file. I've also fixed the large units being trapped on level 3, unzip the AREARAID00.RMP to the /ROUTES folder.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 03, 2017, 08:18:10 pm »

Just had a look at the sprites, some I'll definitely add but others like the Beduins will be more problematic because there aren't any desert cities (well, there are cities located in the desert, but this would imply a lot of terrain specialization) and I'm not going to add them to UFO landings/crashes. But I'll need to redo all of the civilians so everything is possible :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 03, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »
Just had a look at the sprites, some I'll definitely add but others like the Beduins will be more problematic because there aren't any desert cities (well, there are cities located in the desert, but this would imply a lot of terrain specialization) and I'm not going to add them to UFO landings/crashes. But I'll need to redo all of the civilians so everything is possible :)

Desert? What about alien terror missions in France? :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 03, 2017, 09:51:43 pm »
Desert? What about alien terror missions in France? :)

If you're talking about the 'danger' that France (and other european countries) are about to turn Muslim because of all the 'immigrant hordes', then you definitely shouldn't trust the media on that one. Muslims currently make 7.5% of France's population, although from the media and populist politicians you think that they're about to reach 1/3 or even 1/2 of the population in the next years and turn Europe in Eurabia if the immigrants aren't stopped.

The reality is quite different: in Europe Muslims were 4% of the total population in 1990, 6% in 2010 and they're predicted to reach 8% in 2030. That's not an invasion although plenty of politicians and media like to try to portray it as one to gain votes or to sell news, and because of them the public is misled into believing that they're more numerous than they are in reality. Plus all the muslims are portrayed as turbant/burka fanatics, which is also quite untrue since the majority are moderates, not radicals, who are perfectly tolerant of other religions. Source

So no, I will not contribute to populism, xenophobia and stereotyping by placing Muslim/Arab-like civilians in European cities when in reality they're a tiny minority of France or the major european countries.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:59:36 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 03, 2017, 10:08:39 pm »
No, definitely I didn't want to say anything political of the sort.

But I actually lived in Lille for half a year in 2003, and while Arab-clad people were not a majority, they were very visible and everywhere. I am quite sure that having 10% civilians looking like this would be perfectly valid.

Geez, people, what I said is based on objective reality, it was a neutral observation that I don't really have any strong feelings about. Can we not discuss this, please; this is silly.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 03, 2017, 11:13:13 pm »
Geez, people, what I said is based on objective reality, it was a neutral observation that I don't really have any strong feelings about. Can we not discuss this, please; this is silly.

To me this sort of issues isn't silly because my beliefs should guide my actions - I complained in the 2K forums regarding XCOM: Enemy Unknown because the male soldiers were much bigger physically than the females, where in reality the difference in height exists between genders but it isn't as big as portrayed in game, which kinda says something about the developer who had the idea. And in XCOM 2 this height difference was actually removed or much minimized, so someone on Firaxis agreed also that it might be sexist to depict female soldiers much smaller than males.

And I've already explained my point, so no point in arguing this endlessly :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1403 on: January 06, 2017, 05:26:38 pm »
We could make a desert theme for normal urban maps, just some recoloring.

Then these new civilian sprites could be used in some terrormissions.