Author Topic: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback  (Read 268097 times)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] Terrain/Missions Pack
« Reply #660 on: January 21, 2015, 09:30:25 am »
i'll take care of that

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #661 on: January 21, 2015, 12:32:09 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to define a general script which creates the terrain/map?
And then have a second script which selects the types of terrain used and hands them over to the map generating script?
All terrain types are defined as terrains, without extra instances (like can only be used on terror-sites). And these could then be used as you please? So you could even mix terrain types.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 21, 2015, 12:41:25 pm »
Terrain generation rules should be located in single rule file. No need to tear it into 2-4 parts.

Building scripts over scripts is awful idea. The less mess, the more it sorted/focused in the related areas (or files), the better.

There was one extreme - everything in one file. And it turn out into another extreme - everything is torn apart and put into dozens of files. As usual, there should be medial approach. Rules grouped by the logic and relations. To make everything clear, less messy, and logical.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:53:02 pm by volutar »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 21, 2015, 05:28:16 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to define a general script which creates the terrain/map?
And then have a second script which selects the types of terrain used and hands them over to the map generating script?
All terrain types are defined as terrains, without extra instances (like can only be used on terror-sites). And these could then be used as you please?

If I'm understanding you correctly, then I think the current system already replicates this description (or most of it)

Each Geoscape texture is assigned 1 terrain (for UFO missions), and special missions (Terror Sites, bases) can be assigned multiple terrains, chosen randomly. You can assign terrains used in UFO missions for Terror Sites and vice-versa, although the former is unlikely (deserts are not ideal targets for terrorizing the local populace). As it is, the system is very flexible, and even allows you to assign specific terrains to specific UFOs, regardless of the Geoscape texture where the UFO landed/crashed. The improvements that can be made are basically to allow multiple terrains to be assigned to a Geoscape texture (which TFTD implementation should bring).

So you could even mix terrain types.

To mix terrain types you'd need to have terrains with sprites that are visually compatible (which very few of the current ones are), otherwise you end up with the visual equivalent of a chess board. As an extreme, try to picture Desert mixed with Polar: it would look very unrealistic.

Then you need to design the individual mapblocks for each terrain so that they can fit on other terrains. Taking an example of 2 terrains that are graphically very similar, Farm and Forest, the Forest's hills and trees could appear in the middle of a Farm. But if you took Forest's map blocks and mixed them together with Urban, then it would look weird to see all the grey concrete used in the ground of a city being suddenly replaced by the green ground of Forest (and the chess board visual effect would be noticed). The solution would be to have 1 Forest terrain adapted to be used with Farm, another adapted to be used with Urban.

This is already what I've been doing with the Mountain versions of Polar/Desert/Forest terrains. I simply redesign those terrains by adding them the Mountain mapblocks and adjust the ground tiles, and other elements, so that they fit with the rest of the map blocks. But redesigning each map block (and each terrain can have up to 20 of them or more) is time consuming. When I made the Mountain versions I could simply copy/paste the old Mountain map blocks and adapt them visually, but had to manually reproduce the old Forest/Polar/Desert map blocks, because of how the file system works.

So, it is already possible to mix terrains, but it does take some work to do it properly, since it is always better to create a new terrain rather than simply mixing them together.

Terrain generation rules should be located in single rule file. No need to tear it into 2-4 parts.

Building scripts over scripts is awful idea. The less mess, the more it sorted/focused in the related areas (or files), the better.

There was one extreme - everything in one file. And it turn out into another extreme - everything is torn apart and put into dozens of files. As usual, there should be medial approach. Rules grouped by the logic and relations. To make everything clear, less messy, and logical.

From my point of view, the most important is to have a system that allows as many options as possible. As for the actual structuring of the rules that's up for the code wizards to decide, sometimes I feel I would have done things with a different logic but once I learn the rules, it doesn't really matter :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:03:29 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Goldy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 06, 2015, 10:36:16 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to make this mod working, but I keep getting errors when activating Terrain_pack.rul in mod setup. The "Yaml-cpp: error at line 3938, column 17: illegal map value" error, to be specific. I am using  OpenXcom 1.0 and Terrain pack v2.5.1, as per instructions.

I was trying to tinker with the ruleset, but as I am still a newbie to this, it probably exceeds my abilities. Is there any way someone can help me? Thanks in advance.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 06, 2015, 11:02:49 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to make this mod working, but I keep getting errors when activating Terrain_pack.rul in mod setup. The "Yaml-cpp: error at line 3938, column 17: illegal map value" error, to be specific. I am using  OpenXcom 1.0 and Terrain pack v2.5.1, as per instructions.

I was trying to tinker with the ruleset, but as I am still a newbie to this, it probably exceeds my abilities. Is there any way someone can help me? Thanks in advance.

The problem is in the french language settings. The ruleset attached should fix the issue.

Offline Goldy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 07, 2015, 11:09:18 pm »
The problem is in the french language settings. The ruleset attached should fix the issue.

Thanks. I thought so too, but my own feeble attempts to overcome the problem were resisted. I downloaded your ruleset and everything seems to work. I've already visited some of the improved terrains and I am looking forward to see the new ones. Thank you again :)

Offline Iacopo378383

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 08, 2015, 04:47:04 pm »
HI Guys,
i really much appreciate your work here.
I have a little problem at running your mode, i'm using version 2.5 since i'am not using nightly version, running on linux mint 17 (same as ubuntu).
When i start the mod  i got some parsing error.

Actually trying, i solved it my own way. i will leave couple lines here, if someone run the same problem.
Yaml cpp line 0 column 0 some node problem, i deleted the first few line of comments #, and worked.
Had to change few i special character line 3928 or so.
and there were missing a black space somewhere.
Ok ty guys i hope it works now..

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 08, 2015, 05:15:06 pm »
Had to change few i special character line 3928 or so.

This is the French language setting issue described before - the problem is not the character but the lack of space in (it should be : Dubaï not :Dubaï

I'm not getting of the other issues you mentioned - they must be related to Linux.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:25:58 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 13, 2015, 01:02:35 am »
Getting closer to completion... here's version 3.0.4 (nightly openxcom_git_master_2015_01_21_0537 or more recent).

It includes several new features:
* 19 new UFO terrains, with all the terrains now organized in 'biomes', which include the original 5 UFO terrains plus Grassland, Savanna, Steppe, Taiga and Tundra. Each biome has 1-5 different terrains, each with different maps and they can have plains, hilly, mountain, swamp and temple map configuration.
* Port terrain (TFTD) has now been restored to the original version with the waterfront map blocks, with the adapted version also available for Terror Sites.
* An improved Geoscape with more landform detail, using volutar's previous work, and added with a new Geoscape texture.
* 6 new civilian types, taken from Dioxine's work on his Piratez mod.
* The Alien Remix and the Mission Pack mods have been removed from the zip file.
* Due to only 26 terrains being possible on the Geoscape, not all new terrains are possible to be added at this point and a few original ones have been completely removed (Farm, Forest, Mountain) to make room for the new ones. However, it is possible to select which ones you want to play by editing the ruleset since all necessary files are included in the zip.

The list of Geoscape textures and the terrains they are assigned to is:
0   Taiga Forest/Jungle Polar
1   Steppe Forest Mountain/Jungle Temple     
2   Improved Farm/Native
3   Savanna Forest/Steppe Desert   
4   Grassland Desert/Grassland Forest
5   Tundra Mountain/Tundra Desert Mountain
6   Forest Mountain/Jungle Original
7   Desert Mountain/Desert Original
8   Savanna Desert/Desert Temple
9   Polar Desert/Polar Mountain
10   Forest Polar/Jungle Mountain
11   Tundra Desert/Taiga Forest Mountain
12   Polar Original/Polar Original

I still want to add some more biome terrains in the future, make a few improvements to the maps, and possibly some more terrains I'm creating for my UFO Redux mod but at this point the pack is getting closer to completion. At this point the major item still to do is to adapt the pack to the new TFTD rules, which will allow for no limits in terrains assigned to Geoscape textures.

And to finish, here's a preview pic of the new Jungle Polar terrain. Enjoy :)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:08:40 am by Hobbes »

Offline Infini

• Colonel
  • Alien French Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 13, 2015, 04:29:07 am »
Impressive work.
Many thanks!

I did the French translation.

:)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 13, 2015, 06:39:06 am »
Impressive work.
Many thanks!

I did the French translation.

:)

Thanks. I've fixed a few bugs and attached your French translation to version 3.0.5

Offline Infini

• Colonel
  • Alien French Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 13, 2015, 07:54:17 am »
The Build "openxcom_git_master_2015_01_18_0417" is supposed to work well I presume.
I keep a copy on my hard drive, and another backup elsewhere.

Why you don't include it in your MOD if it's possible (in a separate folder)?
Just a suggestion, because it will be more and more difficult to find.

:D

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #673 on: February 13, 2015, 04:13:34 pm »
Hi Hobbes :)

Your Ruleset has an error, which makes it unable to load the IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT. At least for me under Linux.

I got it running with the IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT by changing the following line in your Ruleset:

Code: [Select]
globe:
  data: data/Resources/TerrainPack/Geoscape/IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT

into the following:

globe:
  data: Resources/TerrainPack/Geoscape/IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT

Now the Mod loads without Problems :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 13, 2015, 05:00:27 pm »
The Build "openxcom_git_master_2015_01_18_0417" is supposed to work well I presume.
I keep a copy on my hard drive, and another backup elsewhere.

Why you don't include it in your MOD if it's possible (in a separate folder)?
Just a suggestion, because it will be more and more difficult to find.

:D

I've noticed it and I'm going to update my nightly soon to a more recent version.

Hi Hobbes :)

Your Ruleset has an error, which makes it unable to load the IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT. At least for me under Linux.

I got it running with the IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT by changing the following line in your Ruleset:

globe:
  data: data/Resources/TerrainPack/Geoscape/IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT

into the following:

globe:
  data: Resources/TerrainPack/Geoscape/IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT

Now the Mod loads without Problems :)

And that was also the issue with the UFO Redux mod. Thanks for the info, I'll correct it for the next version.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:11:08 pm by Hobbes »