Author Topic: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback  (Read 275651 times)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] Terrain/Missions Pack (WIP)
« Reply #435 on: September 13, 2014, 07:36:09 am »
What! A copyright discussion on the internet?! That never happens! ;D

Hobbes, I was playing around with tiles for the Artifact Site from TFTD and converted them to UFO format by recoloring (see pics below). I always liked that level for some reason. Unfortunately, they are rather worthless at the moment given that the game cant connect these maps together automatically. Well that and right now all of the custom mission stuff is hardcoded. Regardless I wondered if you could use the .PCKs  since I'm just going to sit on them until we get more control of mission terrain types (hadn't really messed with the MCDs that much). Also I was playing around with colors and redid the ATLANTDESERT with a yellow color and was rather pleased with the result. Regardless just tell me if you would be interested in either one. If you don't need them then that's cool too. I am just trying to make it a habit to start sharing my work more. I have a bad habit of hording pretty much all of my projects to myself.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #436 on: September 13, 2014, 10:05:15 am »
Hard to tell through that BioWare blur, but Atlantean terrain recolor seems to look really sweet. Great job! ;)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 13, 2014, 10:12:11 am »
XOps, please how do you recolor the tile set ?

Do you manually change the tiles of PCK or other way ?

Thanks

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 13, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »
I don't understand what you mean, modifing copyrighted material may not infringe copyright per se, particularly a game with modding support .....and that surely does not imply that doing so you are entitled to use copyrighted material from another source (which was Hobbes complaint in this case I reckon).

Considering copyrights: I'm not sure if you're aware of that, Hobbes, but here's a Red Pill for you: you're already freely distributing copyrighted TFTD material (and, zounds! CHANGING it) :D

pkrcel stated the main aspect of my point here, that Xenonauts is a completely different game (although inspired by XCom), made by a different producer. Using TFTD, Apocalypse or even the new Enemy Unknown images would be OK since it's all XCom and owned by 2K/Firaxis.

To be practical let's move on from this discussion and keep the potted plant for now.

Hobbes, I was playing around with tiles for the Artifact Site from TFTD and converted them to UFO format by recoloring (see pics below). I always liked that level for some reason. Unfortunately, they are rather worthless at the moment given that the game cant connect these maps together automatically. Well that and right now all of the custom mission stuff is hardcoded. Regardless I wondered if you could use the .PCKs  since I'm just going to sit on them until we get more control of mission terrain types (hadn't really messed with the MCDs that much). Also I was playing around with colors and redid the ATLANTDESERT with a yellow color and was rather pleased with the result. Regardless just tell me if you would be interested in either one. If you don't need them then that's cool too. I am just trying to make it a habit to start sharing my work more. I have a bad habit of hording pretty much all of my projects to myself.

The 2nd level of the Artifact site looks as if it could be used as an alternate alien base. The recoloring of the ATLANTDESERT looks weird - the color marble columns are supposed to be white on my playbook and having a landscape almost all in the same color gets tiring to the eye.

Thanks

The easiest way to convert tilesets from TFTD to UFO is to make a copy of the TFTD tileset you're interested and put it on the /ufo folder of MCEdit. Then open the original TFTD tileset using MCEdit, export the pck as png, open the copy of the tileset and import the png as pck.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #439 on: September 13, 2014, 05:15:43 pm »
Maybe these colums are made from sandstone, by the sand people :) I'd help to change these greek statues to pharaohs, though - Poseidon indeed looks really weird here...

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 13, 2014, 05:23:48 pm »

What Hobbes said will work though I used PCKview and photoshop. Recoloring in photshop is easy. Getting PCK view to work right is a bit more challenging.

The 2nd level of the Artifact site looks as if it could be used as an alternate alien base. The recoloring of the ATLANTDESERT looks weird - the color marble columns are supposed to be white on my playbook and having a landscape almost all in the same color gets tiring to the eye.
I tried using the artifact site as an alien base replacement already. Crashed out with an M_range_check error. I suspect it is because the game is trying to find the U_BASE or U_WALL02 tileset and use them as connectors between sections. Though this is just a guess.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 13, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »
Maybe these colums are made from sandstone, by the sand people :) I'd help to change these greek statues to pharaohs, though - Poseidon indeed looks really weird here...

The best way to edit the columns would be to keep the grey/white color but give it a slight brown/yellow tint, so that the marble blends better than the current version. I'd love to see pharaoh statues as well :)

I tried using the artifact site as an alien base replacement already. Crashed out with an M_range_check error. I suspect it is because the game is trying to find the U_BASE or U_WALL02 tileset and use them as connectors between sections. Though this is just a guess.

I never heard that the game used those tilesets for the connections since it merely removes the unnecessary tiles on map blocks. It would be interesting to figure out what is causing the M_range_check error on your version since that issue seems to be affecting only maps with TFTD tilesets.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:35:46 pm by Hobbes »

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 13, 2014, 06:56:06 pm »
The best way to edit the columns would be to keep the grey/white color but give it a slight brown/yellow tint, so that the marble blends better than the current version. I'd love to see pharaoh statues as well :)

I can do a shading lineup if you wish then you can just pick the one you like most or pick one that's close and I can see if I can improve it any. Otherwise I won't bug you anymore about this. It is your mod after all. I'm just some punk packing a copy of photoshop.  :)

I never heard that the game used those tilesets for the connections since it merely removes the unnecessary tiles on map blocks. It would be interesting to figure out what is causing the M_range_check error on your version since that issue seems to be affecting only maps with TFTD tilesets.
Then I wonder if it is an MCD problem or an issue with imported nodes? Or both? I was using the latest nightly. It's just strange that I got the map to work after replacing the farm terrain and making a flat map for a landing zone. I did note that it had a hard time placing aliens. I may tinker with this later and see if i can get it work.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:16 pm »
I can do a shading lineup if you wish then you can just pick the one you like most or pick one that's close and I can see if I can improve it any. Otherwise I won't bug you anymore about this. It is your mod after all. I'm just some punk packing a copy of photoshop.  :)

The shading lineup sounds great - I had already noticed that the marble on both Atlantis and Mu terrains is a bit too bright and pristine in contrast with the surrounding terrain, so this sort of improvement would be most welcome :)

Then I wonder if it is an MCD problem or an issue with imported nodes? Or both? I was using the latest nightly. It's just strange that I got the map to work after replacing the farm terrain and making a flat map for a landing zone. I did note that it had a hard time placing aliens. I may tinker with this later and see if i can get it work.

It isn't about imported nodes, since it has been reported on Railyard, which is a completely new terrain originally created for UFO2000 that uses both UFO and TFTD tilesets. Using the maps to replace the Farm ones is normal. But the best use of Artifact Level 2 would be for Alien Base, although it's very likely that you'd have to do major edits to the MCD settings.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 13, 2014, 07:42:09 pm »
Updated Russian translations for Terrain+Missions Pack inside attached file.

This is the content of the Alien Remix file:

Code: [Select]
  - type: ru
    strings:
      STR_SECTOID_FLOATER: "?????"
      STR_SECTOID_SNAKEMAN: "???????"
      STR_SECTOID_MUTON: "???????"
      STR_SECTOID_ETHEREAL: "???????"
      STR_FLOATER_SNAKEMAN: "????????????"
      STR_FLOATER_MUTON: "?????"
      STR_FLOATER_ETHEREAL: "???????"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_MUTON: "????????????"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_ETHEREAL: "????????????"
      STR_MUTON_ETHEREAL: "???????"
      STR_SECTOID_REAPER: "???????"
      STR_SECTOID_CHRYSSALID: "???????"
      STR_SECTOID_SIL_CEL: "???????"
      STR_SECTOID_SECTOPOD: "???????"
      STR_FLOATER_CYBERDISC: "?????"
      STR_FLOATER_CHRYSSALID: "?????"
      STR_FLOATER_SIL_CEL: "?????"
      STR_FLOATER_SECTOPOD: "?????"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_CYBERDISC: "????????????"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_REAPER: "????????????"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_SIL_CEL: "????????????"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_SECTOPOD: "????????????"
      STR_MUTON_CYBERDISC: "?????"
      STR_MUTON_REAPER: "?????"
      STR_MUTON_CHRYSSALID: "?????"
      STR_MUTON_SECTOPOD: "?????"
      STR_ETHEREAL_CYBERDISC: "???????"
      STR_ETHEREAL_REAPER: "???????"
      STR_ETHEREAL_CHRYSSALID: "???????"
      STR_ETHEREAL_SIL_CEL: "???????"
      STR_MIXED_ALL: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_1_1: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_1_2: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_1_3: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_2_1: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_2_2: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_2_3: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_3_1: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_3_2: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_3_3: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_5_1: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_5_2: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_5_3: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_7_1: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_7_2: "?????????"
      STR_MIXED_7_3: "?????????"
      STR_MUTON_LEADER: "?????-?????"
      STR_MUTON_COMMANDER: "?????-???????????"
      STR_MUTONCOM_CORPSE: "???? ??????-????????????"
      STR_MUTON_UFOPEDIA: "??? ???????????????? ???????? ????????? ? ????????? ????? ???????. ? ??? ?????? ??????????? ? ???????????? ? ???? ?????? ????, ??????? ?? ?????, ??? ? ?????? ????????. ?????? ?? ??, ??? ??? ????????????? ????????? ????????????? ????, ?????????? '??????????'. ??? ?????? ?????????????? ????? ???????????, ?? ??????? ??????? ??????????? ? ??? ???????. ????? ? ??? ???????????? ??????????????? ????????, ??????? ????????? ?? ?????? ????????. ???? ??? ????? ?????????? ??? ????????????? ????? ???????, ??? ????? ?????? ??????? ??? ??????-?? ??????? ??????."
      STR_CELATID_UFOPEDIA: "??? ????? ????? ???????? ?????????? ????????? ???????????? ?????? ? ???????. ??? ???????? ???????????? ?????????? ????????????? ????? ? ????????? ? ??????? ????????, ???? ???? ??? ?? ?????. ????? ??????????? ???? ??????? ???????????? ? ???????? ?????????? ?????????, ??????????? ??????????? ????? ??. ??? ???????? ????? ??????????? ???? ? ????????????? ?????????. ??? ???????????? ???? ??????? ? ?? ???????????."
      STR_SILACOID_UFOPEDIA: "??? ??????? ?????????? ?????? ????? ????? ???????? ???????? ?????????? ?????. ??? ????? ???? ??? ?????????? ??????, ??????? ????? ????? ???? ????????? ??????? ?????. ??? ???????? ????? ??????????? ????????? ? ????? ???????????????? ????? ???????? ??? ??????????, ???????? ?????????????? ???????????. ??? ????????? ????????? ? ???????????? ????? ???????."
      STR_CHRYSSALID_UFOPEDIA: "????????????? ?????? ????? ???????? ???????? ?????? ??????? ? ??????? ???. ??????? ?????????? ? ???? ????? ???????? ??????? ??? ??????? ???????? ? ????????. ?????? ????, ????? ??????? ????? ?????, ??? ??????????? ? ??? ???? ? ??????????? ??, ???????????? ?????? ? ???????? ?????. ??????? ????????? ??????????? ?? ?????? ?????? ????? ???????? ????. ?????????? ????????? ????????? ? ????? ?????????????."
      STR_REAPER_UFOPEDIA: "??? ???????? ?????????? ???????? ????? ?????? ??????? ? ?????? ??????????. ??? ????? ??? ???????? ?????????, ??????? ???????????? ??? ???????? ?? ??? ?????????????. ??????????? ?????? ????????? ????? ???????? ???? ?? ??????? ??? ????-????, ????? ??????? ? ??????????. ??????????? ?????? ????????????? ? ????????."
      STR_SECTOPOD_UFOPEDIA: "????????? - ??? ??????, ?????????? ?????? ???????? ???????. ??? ???????????? ??????? ??????????? ????? ?????????????? ????? ?? ?????????, ?????? - ??????????. ????????? ???????? ???????? ?????? ??????? ??????? ??????????."
      STR_CYBERDISC_UFOPEDIA: "??? ??????????? ?????? ???????? ??????? ???????? ?????????????????? ??????? ??????? ? ???????? ?????? ?????????? ???????????. ?????????????????? ????????? ???? ?? ??????? ???????????? ?? ???????????? ?????????. ???????? ??????????? ???????? ?????? ? ?????? ??? ??????????? ?????? ??? ??????????, ???????? ?????????."

Is this intended?

Offline Infini

• Colonel
  • Alien French Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 13, 2014, 09:25:09 pm »
Code: [Select]
  - type: ru
    strings:
      STR_SECTOID_FLOATER: "Летун"
      STR_SECTOID_SNAKEMAN: "Сектоид"
      STR_SECTOID_MUTON: "Сектоид"
      STR_SECTOID_ETHEREAL: "Сектоид"
      STR_FLOATER_SNAKEMAN: "Человекозмей"
      STR_FLOATER_MUTON: "Мутон"
      STR_FLOATER_ETHEREAL: "Эфириал"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_MUTON: "Человекозмей"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_ETHEREAL: "Человекозмей"
      STR_MUTON_ETHEREAL: "Эфириал"
      STR_SECTOID_REAPER: "Сектоид"
      STR_SECTOID_CHRYSSALID: "Сектоид"
      STR_SECTOID_SIL_CEL: "Сектоид"
      STR_SECTOID_SECTOPOD: "Сектоид"
      STR_FLOATER_CYBERDISC: "Летун"
      STR_FLOATER_CHRYSSALID: "Летун"
      STR_FLOATER_SIL_CEL: "Летун"
      STR_FLOATER_SECTOPOD: "Летун"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_CYBERDISC: "Человекозмей"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_REAPER: "Человекозмей"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_SIL_CEL: "Человекозмей"
      STR_SNAKEMAN_SECTOPOD: "Человекозмей"
      STR_MUTON_CYBERDISC: "Мутон"
      STR_MUTON_REAPER: "Мутон"
      STR_MUTON_CHRYSSALID: "Мутон"
      STR_MUTON_SECTOPOD: "Мутон"
      STR_ETHEREAL_CYBERDISC: "Эфириал"
      STR_ETHEREAL_REAPER: "Эфириал"
      STR_ETHEREAL_CHRYSSALID: "Эфириал"
      STR_ETHEREAL_SIL_CEL: "Эфириал"
      STR_MIXED_ALL: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_1_1: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_1_2: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_1_3: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_2_1: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_2_2: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_2_3: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_3_1: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_3_2: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_3_3: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_5_1: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_5_2: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_5_3: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_7_1: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_7_2: "Смешанная"
      STR_MIXED_7_3: "Смешанная"
      STR_MUTON_LEADER: "Мутон-лидер"
      STR_MUTON_COMMANDER: "Мутон-командующий"
      STR_MUTONCOM_CORPSE: "Труп мутона-командующего"
      STR_MUTON_UFOPEDIA: "Эти человекоподобные существа физически и умственно очень развиты. У них особое пристрастие к употреблению в пищу сырого мяса, которое им нужно, как и земным хищникам. Похоже на то, что ими телепатически командуют представители расы, называемой 'эфириалами'. Как только телепатическая связь прерывается, их нервная система разрушается и они умирают. Также у них присутствуют кибернетические импланты, которые усиливают их боевые качества. Пока они будут находиться под командованием своих лидеров, они будут боевой пехотой для какого-то высшего разума."
      STR_CELATID_UFOPEDIA: "Эта форма жизни обладает загадочной природной способностью парить в воздухе. Она способна обнаруживать активность человеческого мозга и двигаться в сторону человека, даже если его не видно. После обнаружения цели целатид приземляется и стреляет маленькими капсулами, содержащими чрезвычайно едкий яд. Эти существа могут клонировать себя с поразительной скоростью. Они сопровождают расу мутонов в их странствиях."
      STR_SILACOID_UFOPEDIA: "Эта имеющая кремниевую основу форма жизни выделяет огромное количество тепла. Она имеет силу для разрушения камней, которые потом могут быть поглощены горячим ядром. Эти существа имеют примитивный интеллект и могут контролироваться через импланты или существами, имеющими телепатические способности. Они действуют совместно с инопланетной расой мутонов."
      STR_CHRYSSALID_UFOPEDIA: "Крабоподобные клешни этого существа являются мощным оружием в ближнем бою. Быстрый метаболизм и сила этого существа придают ему высокую скорость и ловкость. Вместо того, чтобы убивать своих жертв, оно откладывает в них яйца и впрыскивает яд, превращающий жертву в ходячего зомби. Молодой криссалид вылупляется из жертвы вскоре после введения яйца. Криссалиды действуют совместно с расой человекозмеев."
      STR_REAPER_UFOPEDIA: "Это двуногое плотоядное животное имеет мощные челюсти и крайне прожорливо. Оно имеет ряд мозговых имплантов, которые используются для контроля за его деятельностью. Примитивные хищные инстинкты этого существа едва ли годятся для чего-либо, кроме террора и разрушения. Потрошители обычно ассоциируются с летунами."
      STR_SECTOPOD_UFOPEDIA: "Сектоподы - это роботы, оснащённые мощным лазерным оружием. Эти механические монстры управляются через телепатический канал их хозяевами, обычно - эфириалами. Сектоподы являются наиболее мощным орудием террора пришельцев."
      STR_CYBERDISC_UFOPEDIA: "Эта миниатюрная версия летающей тарелки является автоматизированным оружием террора и оснащена мощным плазменным излучателем. Антигравитационный двигатель дает ей большое преимущество на пересечённой местности. Основным назначением является погром и террор под управлением боевых сил пришельцев, особенно сектоидов."

Not my translation, but maybe I can help.
The content is OK, maybe you didn't save as UTF-8
Check if the french translation is correct too.  Special character like "é" for example won't appear as it is supposed to.
 :)

Edit: I use Notepad++ Portable Edition, free and perfect for the job.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:27:30 pm by Infini »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:54 pm »
The content is OK, maybe you didn't save as UTF-8
Check if the french translation is correct too.  Special character like "é" for example won't appear as it is supposed to.

Edit: I use Notepad++ Portable Edition, free and perfect for the job.

Yup, I also use Notepad ++ but I must have forgotten to set the ruleset file for UTF-8. The French ones are also messed up as well, could you resend those for me? Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:12:56 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Infini

• Colonel
  • Alien French Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 13, 2014, 11:14:00 pm »
I resend for sure.
It's not my intention to disappoint the French community (338 million total).

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 13, 2014, 11:28:38 pm »
I resend for sure.
It's not my intention to disappoint the French community (338 million total).

Merci :)

I've updated version 2.2 with the door to the hidden farm building and the french and russian corrections.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 14, 2014, 01:37:08 am »
Here are some possibilities. The original is on the top left and the rest are numbered for reference. Also they are pasted over the original sand texture for reference. Keep in mind that you can mix and match tiles as well and that this is more of a rough version. I can clean up tiles a little since photoshop doesn't always convert things correctly (see 10). Let me know if something matches or hits close to the mark.