Author Topic: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback  (Read 271591 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback
« on: June 21, 2014, 05:41:50 pm »
Announcement

After over a year of hiatus while I was finishing Area 51, the Terrain Pack is back with all the goodies created for Area 51! :)

Latest version can be downloaded at the mod portal - https://openxcom.mod.io/terrain-pack

List of features
* 100 new terrains, including TFTD's Port, Mu and Atlantis terrains, for UFO, Terror Site and Alien Base missions
* Reworked Geoscape, originally based on Volutar's mod with more landform detail, and latter added several additional textures
* Total of 144 cities, both vanilla and new ones. Each city can now have 1-3 specific terrains assigned for terror missions out of 31 possible terrains. The terrains assigned to cities match their geographical location
* 2 new alien base terrains added, Alien Colony and Alien Hive. Colony has a ground level which will change according to the geographical location of the base
* Terrains for UFO missions are now divided into several biomes: Farm, Desert, Forest, Jungle, Mountain, Polar, Grassland, Savanna, Steppe, Taiga and Tundra. Each biome can several terrains assigned, with more/less hills, crashed planes, temples, swamps, etc. It is also possible to see UFOs landed in city terrains like Industrial, Native or the vanilla Urban
* 80+ new civilians have been added, some will only appear at certain Terror Site terrains, and some will carry weapons of their own
* Terror missions can happen now in the Pacific, North and South Atlantic and Indian oceans. It is also possible now to get Alien Research missions on the Atlantic and Indian oceans since Mission Zones were added to those areas. Terror missions can now be composed of Port attacks
* The Country and Region Zones have been redesigned, using the Improved Nations mod and additional work
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:07:40 am by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [MAPS] Terrain Pack (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:37:22 pm »
I'm very excited about the future maps!

One suggestion I could give is a middle-eastern town. I mean something like the Xenonauts have, a collection of small, Arabic-style houses, a bit more cramped except for an occasional large mansion with open gardens/yards. I think it would add a lot to the game, after all most combat in the media nowadays take place in this environment. :)

Speaking of Xenonauts, they also had separate map sets for Soviet towns (the game takes place in 1979). And I think UFO: Aftermath did too. This is actually an interesting idea, since the affected terrain is quite large (the former USSR and half the Europe, and possibly China), but I'm not sure if OpenXCom graphics is detailed enough to show the difference.

It's not like I do not have any other ideas, but there's one more Xenonauts terrain I remember: a military base. It would be cool to help defend a base with tanks and everything, though as of now the game does not support armed civilians.

And finally, we have the TFTD cruise liners. 8)

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »
Is it possible to assign specific maps to certain cities or is it randomly generated?

Offline phobos2077

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:03:42 pm »
I just want to say that I'm really excited about this effort. This is THE thing that will really bring second breath into the old game. I mean, going through the same farms and towns over and over again is really boring, despite all the great mods out there (weapons, armors, etc.). New UFO layouts and THIS will really make OpenXcom shine to it's full potential.

Btw, how do you create new maps? What tools do you use?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 07:27:54 pm »
I'm very excited about the future maps!

One suggestion I could give is a middle-eastern town. I mean something like the Xenonauts have, a collection of small, Arabic-style houses, a bit more cramped except for an occasional large mansion with open gardens/yards. I think it would add a lot to the game, after all most combat in the media nowadays take place in this environment. :)

Speaking of Xenonauts, they also had separate map sets for Soviet towns (the game takes place in 1979). And I think UFO: Aftermath did too. This is actually an interesting idea, since the affected terrain is quite large (the former USSR and half the Europe, and possibly China), but I'm not sure if OpenXCom graphics is detailed enough to show the difference.

It's not like I do not have any other ideas, but there's one more Xenonauts terrain I remember: a military base. It would be cool to help defend a base with tanks and everything, though as of now the game does not support armed civilians.

And finally, we have the TFTD cruise liners. 8)

The issue with adding new maps like the ones you mentioned above is this: it takes a LOT of time and skills to design original images. Most of what is mentioned above simply reuses images from UFO/TFTD, with the exception of Dawn City, but there I had Nachtwolf's assistance since he created the setting.

This isn't as simple as creating 1 weapon: you need to create from 100-300 different images for ground, north & west walls and objects for each terrain. That takes a lot of time and effort.

Is it possible to assign specific maps to certain cities or is it randomly generated?

You can specific if the map is used on either northern/southern hemispheres, or both, but it's not possible to do more than that.

I just want to say that I'm really excited about this effort. This is THE thing that will really bring second breath into the old game. I mean, going through the same farms and towns over and over again is really boring, despite all the great mods out there (weapons, armors, etc.). New UFO layouts and THIS will really make OpenXcom shine to it's full potential.

Btw, how do you create new maps? What tools do you use?

MapView for designing the map blocks, PCKView for replacing the images, MCDEdit for editing the tiles, GIMP for small graphic touches.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:32:03 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:39:42 pm »
The issue with adding new maps like the ones you mentioned above is this: it takes a LOT of time and skills to design original images. Most of what is mentioned above simply reuses images from UFO/TFTD, with the exception of Dawn City, but there I had Nachtwolf's assistance since he created the setting.

This isn't as simple as creating 1 weapon: you need to create from 100-300 different images for ground, north & west walls and objects for each terrain. That takes a lot of time and effort.

As a long-time modder, I naturally realize this. Still, I believe that having a great vision helps when doing little stuff. Plus, who said it can't take many years? :)

As for making the graphics, I perhaps some contributors would like to participate? I certainly would like to help myself a little. I'm not much of an artist, but I'm pretty good at stealing objects from other games and making them look inconspicuous. ;)

Anyway, at least the military base idea should be doable with little to no new tiles. And I wasn't joking with the cruise liners either, though I doubt it's possible to do without new code available (because of the obvious fact that it must happen on the open sea).

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 12:04:25 am »

The Terrain Pack for OpenXcom consists of terrains for UFO and/or UFO2000 (multiplayer remake of the original game) created mostly by me and otherUFO/UFO2000 players. Several were published on my site () to replace the Terror Site (Urban) terrain while the rest were released by UFO2000. For download of the current versiion, full credits and complete change log, please check the mod's page.

Possible Future Terrains:
* Railyard - Urban terrain. Uses UFO and TFTD tilesets, maps require slight adaptations, no routes for AI.
* Modified Farm - Replaces/suplements the Culta (Farm) terrain. Will add versions of the Farm buildings facing other directions and/or new map blocks/buildings. Some maps are designed but there are no routes for AI to use.
* Polis - Urban terrain, uses the Terror Site tilesets. Currently it has 2 versions: a set of 40x40 and 50x50 buildings; or several 10x10 map blocks that connect with one another. Both have no routes for AI.
* Siberia - possible replacement/supplement for Mountain/Polar terrain but requires redesigning the maps and creating all of the route files.
* Slums - possible supplement to Urban terrains. Requires converting the TFTD tileset images to UFO, map redesign and creating route files.
* Area51 - tileset is currently being redesigned to be used in the maps of a new mission type (Alien Raid). May also be used later to create map sets for other mission types (Terror Sites, Base Defense).
* Polar/Jungle/Forest/Mountain/Desert - no plans to any new terrains/changes since the focus of these terrains are the UFOs and there are already plenty of UFO mods available. 

Feedback/suggestions/questions about all of the above are most welcome.

On your site there are a lot of contents and you are the more knowing for select them

With some  efforts i will try to convert palette of TFTD .PCK (island, port, liner, deck, cargo, etc)

could it be an help for you ?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 04:11:35 am »
As a long-time modder, I naturally realize this. Still, I believe that having a great vision helps when doing little stuff. Plus, who said it can't take many years? :)

As for making the graphics, I perhaps some contributors would like to participate? I certainly would like to help myself a little. I'm not much of an artist, but I'm pretty good at stealing objects from other games and making them look inconspicuous. ;)

Anyway, at least the military base idea should be doable with little to no new tiles. And I wasn't joking with the cruise liners either, though I doubt it's possible to do without new code available (because of the obvious fact that it must happen on the open sea).

I just finished selecting the images and finished the .PCK files. I've attached below the PNGs of the tilesets, any feedback/improvements will be most welcome.

On your site there are a lot of contents and you are the more knowing for select them

With some  efforts i will try to convert palette of TFTD .PCK (island, port, liner, deck, cargo, etc)

could it be an help for you ?

Thanks for the offer but the TFTD tilesets are not a priority since eventually TFTD will get ported to OpenXCom and I only use specific tiles that I can easily convert.

The best help I could use right now has to do with the Area 51 tileset since there are a few tiles that I'm not too satisfied since my skills as a graphics designer are not that great.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:18:45 am by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 04:16:21 am »
It's really good, as expected. Great job.

The only thing I seriously dislike is the preserved Chryssalid. It's way too visible in the tank, so it looks flat. I suggest moving it "deeper" - move the sprite a bit higher and give it some blueish hue, especially near the legs. Ideally, its most protruding elements would fade into the blueness, like the lobsterman:

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 04:20:28 am »
It's really good, as expected. Great job.

The only thing I seriously dislike is the preserved Chryssalid. It's way too visible in the tank, so it looks flat. I suggest moving it "deeper" - move the sprite a bit higher and give it some blueish hue, especially near the legs. Ideally, its most protruding elements would fade into the blueness, like the lobsterman:

I'l look into that. That tile will be animated with bubbles rising on the liquid.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »
Hobbes, reporting that I'm experiencing constant crashes on the map I'm attaching. Well, not exactly crashing, it just freezes on the hidden movement screen. I think it happens after alien turn, before civilian turn, seemingly at random (sometimes it happens, sometimes if doesn't; and if I reload, it doesn't always replicate).

Now, I admit I combined your mod with Luke's terror mod, but I don't think it would be a problem. Nevertheless, here's the code (omitting the actual terrains section):

Code: [Select]
alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_TERROR_MISSION
    width: 60
    length: 60
    height: 10
    civilians: 18
    terrains:
      - URBAN
      - URBAN2
      - MADURBAN
      - DAWNURBAN
      - PORTURBAN
      - NATIVEURBAN
      - INDUSTRIALURBAN

I swear this has never happened before.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 08:20:13 pm »
My first guess would be that it is related to combining both mods and those map dimensions (60x60x4). Try reducing it to 50x50x4 and see if it still happens.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:25:17 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »
My first guess would be that it is related to combining both mods and it has to do with the FPS count from those map dimensions (60x60x4)

Frankly, I don't understand what you meant.
FPS as in "frames per second"? How does this relate to stability?
And the height is 10, not 4 (Which admittedly might cause problems, since your maps were meant to have height 4, but I don't think it's the problem - the game adds extra layers on top of the rest, so we just have more air above the buildings.)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 08:40:57 pm »
Frankly, I don't understand what you meant.
FPS as in "frames per second"? How does this relate to stability?
And the height is 10, not 4 (Which admittedly might cause problems, since your maps were meant to have height 4, but I don't think it's the problem - the game adds extra layers on top of the rest, so we just have more air above the buildings.)

Ignore the FPS mention. What I meant is that the map has 60x60x10 with both mods combined, while by themselves it should be either 50x50x10 or 60x60x4. Try resetting the dimensions to 50x50x10 to see if the problem still remains.

Also: didn't Luke maps had a cellar?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 08:55:55 pm »
Ignore the FPS mention. What I meant is that the map has 60x60x10 with both mods combined, while by themselves it should be either 50x50x10 or 60x60x4. Try resetting the dimensions to 50x50x10 to see if the problem still remains.

It works now, though I got a different map (one with parking lots and cars). [EDIT: no, it's the same tileset I guess.]

Oh well, I guess I'll have to discard Luke's designs for now. I can't fix the ruleset every time I get a terror mission, and I don't think I can make both mods work at the same time.

Also: didn't Luke maps had a cellar?

Yes, well, some of his houses do. The trick is that his ground level is actually level 3 (or was it 4?), with 99% of lowest levels filled with dirt.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:01:34 pm by Solarius Scorch »