Author Topic: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback  (Read 267895 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] Terrain Pack (WIP)
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 04:47:42 am »
Hey Hobbes, I love your maps, you're awesome! Anything you can do to add maps to the crash-sites? A good chance for City maps on crash-sites and I don't mind farm maps on landing sites, since I shoot down every ship I see. Thank you mate.

One of my intentions would be to add some variety to the crash/landed UFO terrains. The easiest possibility would simply be to combine  Jungle/Forest/Desert/Polar/Mountain with the City terrain.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:17:07 am by Hobbes »

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 12:54:23 am »
Hey Hobbes, I love your maps, you're awesome! Anything you can do to add maps to the crash-sites? A good chance for City maps on crash-sites and I don't mind farm maps on landing sites, since I shoot down every ship I see. Thank you mate.

I got at least 1 UFO recovery battle that had buildings from the original terror maps, warehouses and such.  Was pretty cool.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 03:02:30 am »
I got at least 1 UFO recovery battle that had buildings from the original terror maps, warehouses and such.  Was pretty cool.

This mod is not responsible for that behavior. You must also be using the MiB mod. :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 04:39:52 am »
A little update.

I'm currently working on integrating the Alien Raid mod into the Terrain Pack and testing some features in the process.

I've discovered meanwhile that the hemisphere settings aren't used by Terror Sites, so the Native terrain can actually appear on any hemisphere. Another thing that doesn't seem possible is to have randomized terrain for the UFOs (i.e. getting Farm or Native) like it is for Terror Sites, but each UFO terrain needs to be either specified to a terrain texture or a hemisphere. One idea would be to have Native assigned to UFO missions taking place in Farm terrain on the southern hemisphere.

I haven't made my mind but meanwhile I'm still designing the tilesets and map blocks for Area51. I will only released this map until I get more than 1 map block ready though.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 07:30:48 am »
A suggestion : it would be nice to add a link in your first heading post for direct access to your mod on wonderful Jo5hua's mod portal

Something like Terrain Pack available on mod portal
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:34:06 am by Aldorn »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »
Davide linked this page in another thread.

These are works by several people, I wonder if they would like to participate... :)

That page is actually hosted on my site. As far as I know all of the other contributors aren't active anymore (Kratos, Twilight Owl, Exo2000, Violazr, Nachtwolf) since the UFO2000 project essentially died a few years ago. The page is still active but there has been no updates to the engine since 2012 and the forums are also inactive since then.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 02:47:09 pm »
That page is actually hosted on my site. As far as I know all of the other contributors aren't active anymore (Kratos, Twilight Owl, Exo2000, Violazr, Nachtwolf) since the UFO2000 project essentially died a few years ago. The page is still active but there has been no updates to the engine since 2012 and the forums are also inactive since then.

Yeah, I noticed it was yours afterwards, so I deleted my post. Apparently not fast enough. :P

Looks cool though.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 11:56:10 pm »
Added version 1.9, reintroducing Area 51 terrain and using it for the Alien Raid missions.

Here's an introduction of the new mission:
* Alien Raids - New mission that consists of a single UFO (Raider Ship) sent by the aliens to attack critical targets essential for Earth's defense. The UFO will only appear over the major continents and the raid has roughly the same change of being generated than the original alien missions. The Raider Ship will be heavily armed, fast and dangerous and doesn't require scout UFOs to attack its target. Failing to detect, destroy the UFO or stop the alien attack on the targeted human facility will bring a significant boom to the alien invasion. Alien Raids take place on maps designed using the Area 51 terrain.

There is also an additional new UFO mission:
* Alien Flyby - The aliens can now send several waves of UFOs to intimidate a targeted area by overflying its territory.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:43:42 am by Hobbes »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 12:45:17 am »
I just installed your terrain pack, and it overwrote my AVENGER.pck, .tab and .mcd files - is that intentional, and if yes, what does it change/fix? (if it is intentional, I think you should mention it in the description)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 12:49:04 am »
I just installed your terrain pack, and it overwrote my AVENGER.pck, .tab and .mcd files - is that intentional, and if yes, what does it change/fix? (if it is intentional, I think you should mention it in the description)

Ooops, not intentional, I gonna fix that right away on the .zip file. I actually haven't changed on the Avenger files, although they made have altered dates. Sorry about that and thanks.

Just uploaded a new version without the unneeded files.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:51:55 am by Hobbes »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 02:56:17 am »
Would you consider it acceptable if I include your mods in the Final Mod Pack?

I was going to leave them out, since terrain maps are easily compatible with anything and therefore don't require adding in a compilation, but since you started adding missions and such, it's no longer possible. And I would hate to take away such gems from the players. :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 04:12:29 am »
Would you consider it acceptable if I include your mods in the Final Mod Pack?

I was going to leave them out, since terrain maps are easily compatible with anything and therefore don't require adding in a compilation, but since you started adding missions and such, it's no longer possible. And I would hate to take away such gems from the players. :)

That's completely acceptable to me :)

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2014, 04:49:20 am »
That's completely acceptable to me :)

Thank you :)

I promise to keep it updated and everything!

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] Terrain/Missions Pack (WIP)
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2014, 06:16:57 am »
I'm not sure this is the ideal place to ask, but I expect you'd be the person who knows.

I'm curious - if the dev team is now working on OpenTFTD, does that mean map assets would be cross-compatible with both versions?
And if so, does that mean we could have a mod where, say, a terror mission in Xcom has a chance to take place on a TFTD cruise ship, using the cydonia multi-stage mission structure?

Obviously there may have to be a difference in where on the globe the mission is spawned, but other than that?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] Terrain/Missions Pack (WIP)
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2014, 06:28:39 am »
I'm not sure this is the ideal place to ask, but I expect you'd be the person who knows.

I'm curious - if the dev team is now working on OpenTFTD, does that mean map assets would be cross-compatible with both versions?
And if so, does that mean we could have a mod where, say, a terror mission in Xcom has a chance to take place on a TFTD cruise ship, using the cydonia multi-stage mission structure?

Obviously there may have to be a difference in where on the globe the mission is spawned, but other than that?

The multistage missions are already implemented but they can't be used in mods since they are restricted to the Cydonia mission. I don't know the maps will be converted.