Author Topic: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback  (Read 338815 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] Terrain/Missions Pack (WIP)
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2014, 12:54:51 pm »
Thanks, but I was asking about Warboy's old mod (where the City, aka Commercial terrain was included)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2014, 01:17:57 pm »
Thanks, but I was asking about Warboy's old mod (where the City, aka Commercial terrain was included)

Ah, sorry. It was included in his War mod, which is floating somewhere around the net (can't locate it now, I'm at work).

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »
Ah, sorry. It was included in his War mod, which is floating somewhere around the net (can't locate it now, I'm at work).

Thanks, I've found it. He or someone must have downloaded it from my site and forgot where he got it.

I've been giving it a 2nd look since I never expected that there would be interest in this terrain and it might be worthwhile to redo the whole City terrain as Commercial but it would require redoing the whole MCD files. The reason is that their are a mess of UFO and TFTD tiles put together without much consideration on how they look. I'll add this to the list of possible future additions to the Terrain Pack.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »
I've been giving it a 2nd look since I never expected that there would be interest in this terrain and it might be worthwhile to redo the whole City terrain as Commercial but it would require redoing the whole MCD files. The reason is that their are a mess of UFO and TFTD tiles put together without much consideration on how they look. I'll add this to the list of possible future additions to the Terrain Pack.

Yes, it would definitely be worthwhile. I think the main interests are the following:
1) The theme, obviously. The standard suburbia map is fine, but a mall shootout has its peculiar movie-like charm. (For a similar reason I've started making a financial district map, we'll see how it goes.)
2) The ground tiles. Funny as it may sound, they're unique and have potential. They would fit a Western-themed town or something like that.
3) It can use many old tiles (the red brick factory, for example) without them looking out of place.

If you work on this set, would it be possible to keep the tiles' basic function? So that we wouldn't have to make the maps again. (I'm planning to make at least two more, a supermarket and a shop gallery.)

Oh, and to make this strictly "commercial", could we have a bit more goods to sell? Clothing and electronics come to mind.

Thanks for this, and all other terrains you made!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2014, 04:54:15 pm »
Yes, it would definitely be worthwhile. I think the main interests are the following:
1) The theme, obviously. The standard suburbia map is fine, but a mall shootout has its peculiar movie-like charm. (For a similar reason I've started making a financial district map, we'll see how it goes.)
2) The ground tiles. Funny as it may sound, they're unique and have potential. They would fit a Western-themed town or something like that.
3) It can use many old tiles (the red brick factory, for example) without them looking out of place.

If you work on this set, would it be possible to keep the tiles' basic function? So that we wouldn't have to make the maps again. (I'm planning to make at least two more, a supermarket and a shop gallery.)

Oh, and to make this strictly "commercial", could we have a bit more goods to sell? Clothing and electronics come to mind.

Thanks for this, and all other terrains you made!

The ground tiles are not that unique. The ones used in the outside were removed from the Farm terrain while the others were removed from TFTD's Port, Island and the ships' terrains.

I'd actually remove the brick walls since they were taken from Port and use something else instead.

Concerning the tilesets, I usually prefer redesigning the whole tileset but that takes a lot of time. I'll have to decide that later when I complete the Area51 and Polis terrains since those are my priority at the moment.

You're welcome - I love that you guys are enjoying this as much as I :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #260 on: August 20, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
I have a (couple of) questions and I figured this would be the right place to ask...

1. How does one change the number of tiles within a tileset? Just copying old MCDs and replacing tiles seems a primitive method...
2. Are TFTD MCD's compatible with XCOM? (assuming one changes the palette?)
3. Are you open to contributions to your mod? (I'll be making the "shantytown" set at some point, and maybe more)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »
I have a (couple of) questions and I figured this would be the right place to ask...

1. How does one change the number of tiles within a tileset? Just copying old MCDs and replacing tiles seems a primitive method...
2. Are TFTD MCD's compatible with XCOM? (assuming one changes the palette?)
3. Are you open to contributions to your mod? (I'll be making the "shantytown" set at some point, and maybe more)

1. That's the method I use. If you came up with something better let me know :)
2. Yes. XComUtil had a Hybrid terrain where you could play TFTD's terrains on UFO. However, I'd recheck the MCD settings.
3. Yes, if you are open to feedback to your terrains. I'm really looking for the whole pack to have some quality (that's why I removed the City and Hive terrains) and there are things that work better than others. Also, at this point I'm considering whether or not to remove the new missions and only have terrain replacements for the original missions.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2014, 05:59:31 pm »
Thanks for the answer! From my personal POV, it'd be much more convenient if you splitted the mods - or at least made 2 rulesets, alien missions being an 'optional enhancement', dependant on enabling the main mod (if required) - that way I could simply add new civilian types and height to your .rul file, instead of having to create a custom .rul from ground up to have your terrain available... :) but then again, there are no other mods that add new civilians or modify height (well, except Luke's terror... which is malfunctioning anyway, the "underground" parts creating a problem of aliens falling into holes in the ground where you can't follow them, or even throw a grenade after them... A shame that is...)... So I guess my opinion could be skewed :)

(I've modified height to 7 for all my maps since it a) allows better use of mortars & grenade launchers, b) a soldier standing on top of a 3-story building can throw a grenade without hitting the skybox)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:01:59 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2014, 07:21:25 pm »
Thanks for the answer! From my personal POV, it'd be much more convenient if you splitted the mods - or at least made 2 rulesets, alien missions being an 'optional enhancement', dependant on enabling the main mod (if required) - that way I could simply add new civilian types and height to your .rul file, instead of having to create a custom .rul from ground up to have your terrain available... :) but then again, there are no other mods that add new civilians or modify height (well, except Luke's terror... which is malfunctioning anyway, the "underground" parts creating a problem of aliens falling into holes in the ground where you can't follow them, or even throw a grenade after them... A shame that is...)... So I guess my opinion could be skewed :)

(I've modified height to 7 for all my maps since it a) allows better use of mortars & grenade launchers, b) a soldier standing on top of a 3-story building can throw a grenade without hitting the skybox)

I'm good with increasing the height to 7 due to the throwing arc issue and I think it would be an welcome improvement to add more civilian types. I used to have a mod that replaced the original civilians with uniformed personnel but I can't find it anymore unfortunately.

Luke's sewers are something that adds too much complexity to terrains IMHO.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #264 on: August 20, 2014, 10:40:50 pm »
Luke's sewers are something that adds too much complexity to terrains IMHO.

Yes, definitely, although the bugs take away some of the pleasure - not sure if it is the question of mod (some blocks having underground levels, some not), or simply the game doesn't work well with that many dirt tiles. As for the civilians, mine won't do (they're post-war human-alien hybrids), but I have some other stuff that could be adapted  (TFTD, Warboy's old War mod, Luke's designs) - there is only the question of selection. With cut & paste, possibilities are endless (and making inv pictures and corpse floorob/bigob isn't that much work). Here's a sample:

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:47 am »
As for the civilians, mine won't do (they're post-war human-alien hybrids), but I have some other stuff that could be adapted  (TFTD, Warboy's old War mod, Luke's designs) - there is only the question of selection. With cut & paste, possibilities are endless (and making inv pictures and corpse floorob/bigob isn't that much work). Here's a sample:

The only ones that I dislike are Port's bathing suit male and female civilians, all the others could be added to specific terrains.

I'm going to split the rulesets between Maps and Missions.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2014, 03:10:12 pm »
I'll prepare the whole big civilian pack when I have the time, it also seems to be missing dark-skinned people... There will be some work, but I have 60% or so resources ready to use. Just needs free time :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »
I'll prepare the whole big civilian pack when I have the time, it also seems to be missing dark-skinned people... There will be some work, but I have 60% or so resources ready to use. Just needs free time :)

No hurries. I'm going to be unable to work anymore on the mods after tomorrow and until next week since I'm going to enjoy the rest of my holidays. Meanwhile, I've already separated the rulesets but I still want to test them a little more today before publishing them.

Offline VSx86

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Russian translation for Terrain/Missions Pack v1.9.9
« Reply #268 on: August 23, 2014, 10:41:26 am »
Raider Ship in in-game Ufopedia

HWD detected:
Raider Ship
Elite Raider
Alien Raid
North Africa

Ruleset only adds translated strings while OpenXcom's language is set to Russian.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 23, 2014, 03:04:24 pm »
Are raider ships meant to be shot down?  They're basically terror ships but with double the weapon range so I think they can fire at you the moment you intercept them.

Not to mention that like supply ships on supply missions, raiders fly in, immediately land somewhere, then fly away again.  There's only a small window to attack them while they're landed, seemingly only possible to do with an Avenger (or reloading and parking a Skyranger over where the raider will land).