aliens

Author Topic: Terrain Pack - Info & Feedback  (Read 338807 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] Terrain/Missions Pack (WIP)
« Reply #240 on: August 13, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »
What's an "invalid vector<T> subscript"?  I'm trying to do a terror mission in the railyard with sectoids and cyberdiscs, but at some point during the alien turn on turn 1 I get that error and the game closes.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »
What's an "invalid vector<T> subscript"?  I'm trying to do a terror mission in the railyard with sectoids and cyberdiscs, but at some point during the alien turn on turn 1 I get that error and the game closes.

No idea, haven't had that kind of error before. Are you sure it is related to the terrain pack?

I'm going on holidays today so it might take some time to reply to this thread.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 13, 2014, 06:43:28 pm »
I am in a camping with an unusable Wi-Fi too
 :-\
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:46:43 pm by davide »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:24 am »
After learning how to use debug mode, I narrowed down the cause.  It seems there's a cyberdisc at the SE corner of the map and when it was its turn to move, I get the error.  I really don't know why (whether it's the cause of any mod in particular or an actual game bug), only that if I kill it before it can move then there's no more error but that can't be done without debug mode.

Perhaps I could post a save file with the battle in question along with a list of the mods it uses, so that the exact cause can be found.  Maybe.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just ignore the terror mission and continue playing.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 14, 2014, 11:58:16 am »
After learning how to use debug mode, I narrowed down the cause.  It seems there's a cyberdisc at the SE corner of the map and when it was its turn to move, I get the error.  I really don't know why (whether it's the cause of any mod in particular or an actual game bug), only that if I kill it before it can move then there's no more error but that can't be done without debug mode.

Perhaps I could post a save file with the battle in question along with a list of the mods it uses, so that the exact cause can be found.  Maybe.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just ignore the terror mission and continue playing.
To know if it has really something to do with Cyberdisc, try a terror mission with sectoid in battle generator
- first, activate debug mod (in options.cfg, set "debug:" to "true")
- generate terror mission, then CTRL+D
- end your turn to take hand on alien turn
- select cyberdisc and try to make it move

If it crashes, this should mean that you have an issue with Cyberdisc SpriteSheet

Then inactivate debug mod setting "debug:" parameter back to "false"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:00:34 pm by Aldorn »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »
It's only that one particular cyberdisc.  I just did a different terror mission with no issues with any of its cyberdiscs (and floaters).

I can't move the buggy cyberdisc anyway because the error comes up before I'm allowed to control the aliens.  Unless there's a way to control them at the start of their turn instead of after they've all moved.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2014, 01:50:09 am »

Do you mean that only a part of the Cyberdisc appeared? If so, then the problem is with that specific map block. Check the attached pic to see if that was the map block, if so, then I've found out the problem.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »
It's not that mapblock, it's another one similar to it except the building had steel walls with Xcom crates in them.  And the whole cyberdisc is there.

Actually, I've attached a pic showing it.  In hindsight, I should've done that in the first place but it didn't cross my mind until you attached a pic yourself :x

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:07 pm »
Hobbes, do you know if ufo-maps of rectangular (let's say 50x40) shape are supported?

(50x40 obviously so, once you add the extra part with the x-com craft, the final size of the battlescape is 50x50).

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2014, 02:05:19 am »
It's not that mapblock, it's another one similar to it except the building had steel walls with Xcom crates in them.  And the whole cyberdisc is there.

Actually, I've attached a pic showing it.  In hindsight, I should've done that in the first place but it didn't cross my mind until you attached a pic yourself :x

OK, it's definitely not the issue I thought (although this has helped me to fix a bug in another map).

I've got no idea of what might be causing it but I doubt it is related with the map since it involves moving a unit. Try posting this on the bug subforum.

Hobbes, do you know if ufo-maps of rectangular (let's say 50x40) shape are supported?

(50x40 obviously so, once you add the extra part with the x-com craft, the final size of the battlescape is 50x50).

Yes, rectangular maps are supported. Or should be, since the vanilla Terror/Supply Ships are 30x20.

However, you can't design a 50x40 UFO for a 50x50 battlescape, unless you remove the Lightning from the list of available craft. The Skyranger and the Avenger will fit without a problem in the space left, but the Lightning will not fit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:35:41 am by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2014, 02:10:40 am »
This is not directly related to the topic, but I hope you Hobbes will know something about this, or perhaps even be responsible for it.

While looking for modding stuff, I browsed Warboy's old mod and stumbled on a Commercial terrain set. It had 4 tilesets (COMMERCE, COMROADS, COMBITS and COMFRN) and a number of maps (even with routes). I haven't checked them in-game, but they look fine in the MapView and are actually quite awesome.

Here's some block examples:

Now, since Warboy claims to not know who made this, I wonder if you might know? Maybe it was you, or Luke?

Anyway, this needs to be included in the game somehow. After all, malls are among the most cosmopolitan terrains that would fit any city on Earth! And it looks really good.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2014, 04:02:00 am »
Those are mine, they are available at my site as City terrain and it is one of the first mods I ever created. When civilian made the 1st version of the terrain pack he included it but I decided to remove the terrain because graphically some look terrible, others are badly designed (doors open and replace walls when closed) and having so many 3 level buildings gives the whole map the "where's the last alien" experience.

This was my favorite map of that terrain, the movie theatre, with "XWars" and "Dino" as featured films:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:05:57 am by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:55 pm »
I knew I came to the right place. :P

Well, I like it. Maybe not 100% of it is perfect, because nothing is, but it's a really solid work with potential and I'd very much prefer if it was available in the Terrain Pack.

Dioxine also expressed interest in using parts of it fro a slum/shanty town set.

EDIT:

I added Tentacular's bathroom tiles and made a loft night club!

Yes, I started with your condo and it shows a little.

Anyway, I wanted to prove that this set kicks ass and can be used with minimum work to achieve satisfying results. And also because I really like the idea of plasma blasts inciting panic at the disco!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:59:17 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2014, 03:13:17 am »
Could you point me towards the thread where this was posted originally?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2014, 08:07:30 am »
Could you point me towards the thread where this was posted originally?

The original png files for the bathroom set were posted here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=559.0

Dioxine made the mcd files recently (he didn't release them yet, AFAIK).

I think every single urban terrain should use them. :)

EDIT:

I just remembered that the bathroom MCDs were used in Dioxine' latest mod Improved Living Quarters: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2806.0
Download it to check them out. There are 2 new MCDs.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:44:08 am by Solarius Scorch »