aliens

Author Topic: UFO: Alien Invasion  (Read 25294 times)

niculinux

UFO: Alien Invasion
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:16:52 pm »
Probably most of openxcom user won't be aware, but in 2003 an open source, freeware and cross platform clone of UFO: Enemy Unknown was relased, its name was UFO: Alien Invasion. It's a pretty cool game, plus supports mods itself!!!!!!! I've played around a bit with it and the only "drawback" with it it's that currently the game do not offer an interface for aerial fights, but these will occour when the craft enter each one in their sight radius, try the game to see what I mean.
Current version is 2.4 but after some years of developmente seems that a 2.5 verison might be come out by the end of this year!

If you're interested, please check links at the bottom of this post!

Official homepage
Wikipedia page
TRailer (outdated version

Emre

Re: UFO: Alien Invasion
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »
There's even a link on the homepage. I'm pretty sure most of people here knows about that game.

niculinux

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:45:04 pm »
There's even a link on the homepage. I'm pretty sure most of people here knows about that game.

Well seems I did an oversight  :o but please, any programmes that will stumble upon this thread, please may even think of contribuing to the game developing?  ;D

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »
you want to convince the developer of openxcom to leave here and help out with ufo-alien invasion?
seriously?

niculinux

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 05:49:36 pm »
you want to convince the developer of openxcom to leave here and help out with ufo-alien invasion?
seriously?

No no, maybe other programmers may be reading this...or even openxcom developer should occasionally help the other game ;)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 06:01:56 pm »
Btw, how's Ufo: Ai? How's progress? Is it still being actively developed?

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 04:35:20 am »
Last time I played that game it only had like 3 missions. I had no idea they kept updating it after that.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:19 am »
Couple of years ago, UFO: AI was project which i was following. After project xenocide died, it was only remake project which had chances to succeed. Sadly i'm afraid it will die sooner or later. After so many years of developing they still have lot to finish. I'm afraid that soon old crew will move to other things and it will be hard for them to find fresh blood. It's coded in c, using forked quake engine. In today standards it's quite old technologies.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 02:45:47 pm »
Yeah, I basically quit playing the game when I learned that the terrain is indestructible. It may seem precocious, since it's just one feature and not central to the game, but it completely killed the gaming experience for me.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »
Yeah, that's huge downside of quake engine.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »
If someone could make an X-Com mod for Silent Storm, though. Man, that would be so awesome.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:11 pm »
If someone could make an X-Com mod for Silent Storm, though. Man, that would be so awesome.

Man, that game is insane. O_o

I love its mechanics, but I think I need to grow up more to play this monstrosity. A few centuries should be enough.

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 04:20:16 pm »
Probably most of openxcom user won't be aware, but in 2003 an open source, freeware and cross platform clone of UFO: Enemy Unknown was relased, its name was UFO: Alien Invasion. It's a pretty cool game, plus supports mods itself!!!!!!! I've played around a bit with it and the only "drawback" with it it's that currently the game do not offer an interface for aerial fights, but these will occour when the craft enter each one in their sight radius, try the game to see what I mean.
Current version is 2.4 but after some years of developmente seems that a 2.5 verison might be come out by the end of this year!

If you're interested, please check links at the bottom of this post!

Official homepage
Wikipedia page
TRailer (outdated version
Did they finally implement destructive terrain or is their project still stuck in 1970s?

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 01:12:27 am »
Did they finally implement destructive terrain or is their project still stuck in 1970s?
Yup thats what broke it for me. They also needed more soldiers like Xcom, or more soldier depth like ufo aftermath

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:23:43 am »
Three days ago version 2.5 was relased, two years after 2.4.

Here's changelog:
https://ufoai.org/wiki/Changelog/2.5