Author Topic: [SUGGESTION][MOD] openxcom mods compatible with linux?  (Read 5875 times)

niculinux

[SUGGESTION][MOD] openxcom mods compatible with linux?
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:00:11 pm »
Hello, good afternoon

May I kindly ask modders and programmers to make mods for openxcom compatible with linux? Since the majority of the game users use windows it's not a problem for them, but since  I'm havin lots o' trouble to get them working, that will be a relief for me.

If you want to taste a sample of my suffering see this thread

EDIT: in the end, I'd invite other linux users to test and repost about the mods, even in the above mentioned thread, since I cannot test them all  :-[

Thanks  as always!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:08:50 pm by niculinux »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION][MOD] openxcom mods compatible with linux?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:04:35 am »
Could you perhaps detail your recommendations to make these mods Linux compliant (case sensitive, ...) ?

In other words, recapitulate what you did have to do to make some of them compliant
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:06:40 am by Aldorn »

niculinux

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 11:47:38 am »
Could you perhaps detail your recommendations to make these mods Linux compliant (case sensitive, ...) ?

In other words, recapitulate what you did have to do to make some of them compliant

Aldorn you centered the point , probably usin lowercased letters only in the files it's the ultimate solution, but since i'm not a programmer don't know if there may be something else ;)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
change /path/to/ruleset/folder and /path/to/resource/folder accordingly
and try this in commandline:

Code: [Select]
find /path/to/ruleset/folder -type f -name "*.rul" |xargs |sed -i 's/^\(      [0-9][0-9]*: .*\)$/\L\1/g'
rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' /path/to/resource/folder

could be that some distribution dont have included "rename" but in most its installed

it makes all lines in ruleset that begin with 6spaces a number  aa colon and a space lowercase
the rename makes files and directories lowercase

there is still the problem of Maps not correctly named
in most cases the rulesetname is uppercase
to make all maps uppercase
rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' /path/to/data/folder/MAPS
rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' /path/to/data/folder/ROUTES
rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' /path/to/data/folder/TERRAIN
iirc the MAPS/ROUTES/TERRAIN folder need to be uppercase too
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:29:07 pm by Falko »

niculinux

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
change /path/to/ruleset/folder and /path/to/resource/folder accordingly
and try this in commandline:

find /path/to/ruleset/folder -type f -name "*.rul" |xargs |sed -i 's/^\(      [0-9][0-9]*: .*\)$/\L\1/g'
rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' /path/to/resource/folder

could be that some distribution dont have included "rename" but in most its installed

it makes all lines in ruleset that begin with 6spaces a number  aa colon and a space lowercase
the rename makes files and directories lowercase

Thanks but sounds and looks complicated for me! Actually the lowercasing in the mods seems to be enough, so if i will play again im gonna stick with mod that works out of the box. Seems i really won't have time and will to experoment myself, but thanks again for the very very useful info! <3

Edit: sry don't wanna trigger reaction fire from the forum administrators, but may we have also this post sticky? :D
Edit 2 :typos fixed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:35:59 pm by niculinux »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 12:31:49 pm »
i dont ask you to understand what i wrote (besides the change of the pathname) just suggested to use/try

* Falko searches for forum ignore function

Edit:
i am no administrator - so no panic - the red color seems to appear if i write "/me text" .. that was new for me
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:41:33 pm by Falko »

niculinux

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 12:50:22 pm »
i dont ask you to understand what i wrote (besides the change of the pathname) just suggested to use/try

Ah ok, :)  please may someone else try in the meantime? I really need a break  :'(

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 02:23:00 pm »
Aldorn you centered the point , probably usin lowercased letters only in the files it's the ultimate solution, but since i'm not a programmer don't know if there may be something else ;)

You seem to have solved some mod installation issues, and I think your experience would be useful for future members trying to make it work under Linux

You ask for modders to make it Linux compliant, but (most of ?) modders are Windows modders and (most of ?) Windows modders have no experience of Linux, so (most of ?) modders have less Linux experience than you

My suggestion was also :
- share as much as you can what you did to solve issues : this will be useful for modders (and also for you) but for future Linux users too
- a nice way is to "summarize" solution/hints in first message ; for example
      + recommendation for modders : be careful about lowercase/uppercase as Linux is case sensitive
      + hint for Linux users : execute Falko's command line
      + ...

niculinux

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »
You ask for modders to make it Linux compliant, but (most of ?) modders are Windows modders and (most of ?) Windows modders have no experience of Linux, so (most of ?) modders have less Linux experience than you

Well...my fears came true, I suspected that..:;(

My suggestion was also :
- share as much as you can what you did to solve issues : this will be useful for modders (and also for you) but for future Linux users too
- a nice way is to "summarize" solution/hints in first message ; for example
      + recommendation for modders : be careful about lowercase/uppercase as Linux is case sensitive
      + hint for Linux users : execute Falko's command line
      + ...

OK, thanks, I'll do may best. I'd also be very grateful if some other users may spread the word among other linux users and/or programmers, since I would not have the will to engage myself  in a struggle with programming.

Over and out and thanks!!!!!!!!!!