Author Topic: OXC is too much repeatable  (Read 5447 times)

Offline grzegorj

• Captain
  • grzegorj and Sherlock are my nicknames...
    • View Profile
    • X-COM
OXC is too much repeatable
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »
The original game behaves VERY differently each time when loaded from a savegame. It concerns both tactical and strategic savegames. Just load a savegame several times into UFO: EU, and you will see what I mean. Unlike the original game, OXC seems to be repeatable, schematic.

When you save the game during chasing a UFO, and then load it several times, it will appear that the alien ship may land down in 30 seconds, 3 hours or at all. You may try the UFO: EU savegame attached to my other post, or start a new (vanilla) game, wait till the first UFO appears, then save the game immediately, and next load it several times, again and again. You will see that the scenario will be different each time.

The same about tactical game. Sometimes you finishes your move, and during the alien move one of your soldiers is being killed. In OXC he is always killed (or at least the situation can change only rarely). When you are using an autoshot, each of three shots goes to the same place! In UFO: EU each time you load the same savegame, the situation develops differently, and results of an autoshot are never the same.

Please give much more randomless to the game to make it really similar to the original one. No predictable trajectories of alien ships on the globe screen, no fully predictable alien behaviour during mission, please.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: OXC is too much repeatable
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:16 pm »
I thikn this is intentional and falls under the reing of the "save scumming" option.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:43:19 pm »
If you have "save scumming" set to "no", you will get the results you are seeing.  The same random seed is used everytime, so things are the same every time you reload.  This is designed to prevent people from savescumming, which means reloading to try to get a different, beneficial outcome.  By having it "off" you are locking the seed to repeat.  Change the option to "yes" and things will start changing. :)

(Its a feature, not a bug) ;)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline grzegorj

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X-COM
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »
Thanks for the info, I will check it :) I understand the reason but in the same time I would like to have a possiblility to sometimes play the game exactly as in the original. If there is such a possiblility, everything is in the perfect order :)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:00:57 pm »
that will not be 100% possible
openxcom removes (obvious) bugs
some playstyles in the original incorporate these bugs

that the default option is savescumming=off is a good idea in my opinion

Offline grzegorj

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X-COM
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 03:19:04 pm »
Oops... I've checked my options... "includePrimeStateInSavedLayout: false" in the option.cfg file, so the game should not be that repeatable - but it still is... So, what does this option do?

You may check it using the attached save (a tactical battle with mutons). After loading the game start the alien turn immediately. I have checked it several times (ten or so): a muton shoots during the hidden move, and the shot goes in exactly the same point. So there is no randomless at all, even if irt should be according to the settings...

I am not sure what here is a bug and what is not. I understand that some players may limit themselves and not to use savescumming. But if there is an option not to save the random seed, it should do something, anything. But it seems that the option does nothing... The game stays repeatable in the least details.

Once again, what is this option for, then?

I can still feel a kind of bug here.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »
Oops... I've checked my options... "includePrimeStateInSavedLayout: false" in the option.cfg file, so the game should not be that repeatable - but it still is... So, what does this option do?

that option determines whether or not the game saves the primed/not-primed state of grenades in the equipment layout of soldiers.

example: if you prime the grenade of the first soldier before the battle, play the battle, and later enter another battle, "true" means that the same grenade will be pre-primed, because the game has memorized that it should be.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:40:16 pm »

Offline grzegorj

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X-COM
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »
Oops... shame on me... thanks! The right option is newSeedOnLoad: true.

My problem was because of completely wrong translation in my language... another problem caused by this stupid click system because of it irresponsible people introduce translations which they like, and which are out of sense. Now it's all OK, and the game behaves correctly, thanks again!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:45:52 pm »
No problem.  ;)  I thought it might have been a translation issue.

Cheers, Ivan :D