Author Topic: New base facility (help)  (Read 14742 times)

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
New base facility (help)
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:34:02 am »
Im planning this new base facility... the Tactical Training Class... but i just cant figure out where to edit this... it would be a simple mod. It would use the same principles as the PSILab, just it would give your soldiers better accuracy, throwing, strenght and reaction. It could use the same sprite as the PSIlab. The training could be also improved by researching (better tactics etc). At entry level it could give a +5 bonus, if you research the "Basic Tactics" (name can be varied) then it would give +10 etc etc... hope someone could help me out with this one...

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: New base facility (help)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:35 pm »
IIRC, there is no support for such facility in the engine. Yet. Though it may be added in the future.

Warboy?

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:23:09 pm »
im sorry to hear this... i thought i had a big idea when this one popped out.... but it seems you guys ahead of me lightyears.... anyway... i think it would be great to implement this feature. It seems on paper it would mess up the initial idea of the game, but in my opinion i think it would make it more realistic. Since XCOM is a military organization it would surely have its own training facility. Or maybe XCOM operatives could be sent out to countries to get the necesery tactical training. Im not pushy at all, but cant this feature somehow be pulled on the PSIlab? since it would serve similiar purposes and thats included in the game. I thought it would need only like 5 minute of editing in the XCOM ruleset (sorry me being an amatuer in coding, but im eager to learn). Also i red about the big debate between merging tftd with eu. I would vote myself for merging, since it was always a big dream of mine to have two front warfare against aliens. I know the system is familiar, but not the same. But again... thanks for the kind answer

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:27:11 pm »
Or maybe XCOM operatives could be sent out to countries to get the necesery tactical training.
It's a coding modification, but this one could be integrated nicely into the "Transfer" screen : It would be an extra "destination" in the list of bases, it costs money, and the soldiers are put "in transit" for one or two weeks.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »
It's a coding modification, but this one could be integrated nicely into the "Transfer" screen : It would be an extra "destination" in the list of bases, it costs money, and the soldiers are put "in transit" for one or two weeks.
+1

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 06:25:28 pm »

That's more or less how it was implemented at one point in the UNIMOD, a fan-made upgrade for the UFO: Extraterrestrials game (which is a solid title in itself, but only with the UNIMOD). Well, before there was an actual new base facility.

I think that perhaps we should think of how this training process works in game lore. Since our soldiers are quickly gaining proficiency, they're clearly not elites at first, more like freshly drafted recruits. But why would X-Com send inexperienced boys and girls to the battlefield, if they have access to the finest people on Earth? Well, I thought about it a little and came up with a theory that these people aren't really soldiers; they are special operatives. Agents, Men in Black, Bureau 13, you name it. X-Com is so secret that they do not hire real soldiers from outside, they have their own cadres which are primarily built with different criteria in mind than combat capability - be it secrecy, special connections, alien investigation background or unusual mental capabilities. Therefore your rookies are practically civilians with only basic military training, who used to work behind the desk or at best investigating crop circles in Ohio.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 08:29:42 pm »
If I had to propose one soldier-improving facility :
- does not need to be researched - because I don't see anything high-tech, it's basically a space with a shooting range, fitness room and classroom.
- Doesn't really need menus : Everyday at midnight, soldiers could be tested for improvement if they are not in psi training and not currently being healed or in a missing ship. I had thought of proposing "those not assigned to a ship", but it would push player to assign/deassign soldiers every time an UFO is sighted, and this is not fun.
- The facility would mainly work on soldiers's weaknesses. Slowly increases towards average, very slowly increases towards initial maximums (or to the stats of the best soldier who's in training).

niculinux

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 08:37:06 pm »
Emh..sorrry but here we are not talking about a comleted mpd, mae need to move this thread in"modding/experimemting" forum?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 10:50:34 pm »
i actually have code, rules, sprites and a map block for this already

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 11:18:26 pm »
i actually have code, rules, sprites and a map block for this already

Would you please disclose the rules? Because this is what makes me a little bit anxious, and I want to be able to sleep tonight... :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 11:22:24 pm »
the rules are useless without the code

which i'm sure i left around here somewhere
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:32:38 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 09:39:21 am »
well... i always thought XCOM uses the most elite soldiers from the worlds most elite forces (delta, seal, foreign legion etc). The founding nations will always let their most toughest, meanest, roughest soldiers to join this secret international operation. Then why do they have crappy skills? cause it takes not too much to kill other human soldiers... But when it comes to sectoids or mutons, those skills turns out to be quiet crappy. More over I think the brains behind XCOM (those tacticians sitting in dark rooms) would develop some training and strategy, to be able to fight off the menace. They are not human, so mostly the tactics which are developed against human enemy wont work that glamorous.

Basicly this whole concept of training soldiers left at base, was an idea taken from xcom:apoc. I always looked at this like a good idea, since i cannot imagine what does my other 10-20-30 soldiers at base do. Do they arrange a pyjamaparty? Or all of them is in the kitchen pealing potatoes?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 12:01:10 pm »

I meant a description of the game mechanics. How soldiers gain training experience, how it differs from field experience, how long it takes, etc.

For example, I liked how UNIMOD did this. In UFO:ET, for a soldier to advance a stat - say, Firing Accuracy - from 40 to 41, they need to collect a number of "learning points" in this particular skill; I don't know how many, but let's assume 10. Now, UNIMOD introduced a training facility, where you could send troops to increase either their combat abilities (shooting, throwing, etc.) or general physical shape (health, TUs etc.). Now, if you send a soldier to combat training, over time they will gain "learning points" in combat skills, but only up to 50% of the next threshold. This means that our guy - or girl, which I always seem to secretly think - will gain up to 5 points of the 10 needed, and only if he or she has 0 points at the beginning. Someone who has Firing Accuracy 40 and 3 learning points, can only gain 2 learning points from the facility, and after that needs to go back to the battlefield to get the remaining 5 to reach Firing Accuracy 41 (after which they can train again, up to 50% the threshold to reach 42).

Now, X-Com works differently as there are no learning points etc., so this mechanics is obviously irrelevant. I only explained this to show what I would like to know.

well... i always thought XCOM uses the most elite soldiers from the worlds most elite forces (delta, seal, foreign legion etc). The founding nations will always let their most toughest, meanest, roughest soldiers to join this secret international operation. Then why do they have crappy skills? cause it takes not too much to kill other human soldiers... But when it comes to sectoids or mutons, those skills turns out to be quiet crappy.

I tried to think like this for years, but never managed to really buy it. A Sectoid is similar enough to a human to use the same tactics (like headshots :)). I think the "non-military operative" makes more sense in the end, and I personally feel it is also way cooler story-wise, since soldiers are boring once you think about it.

More over I think the brains behind XCOM (those tacticians sitting in dark rooms) would develop some training and strategy, to be able to fight off the menace. They are not human, so mostly the tactics which are developed against human enemy wont work that glamorous.

Oh, that is perfectly true. :)

Basicly this whole concept of training soldiers left at base, was an idea taken from xcom:apoc. I always looked at this like a good idea, since i cannot imagine what does my other 10-20-30 soldiers at base do. Do they arrange a pyjamaparty? Or all of them is in the kitchen pealing potatoes?

Vodka. :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 01:52:54 pm »

So, will it (when and if implemented) be like Apocalypse's training facility?

(I'd prefer this over the "send your soldiers away for training"-solution: the game enables you to do everything in-house, including building spaceships, why training soldiers have to be 'outsourced'?)

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 02:44:09 pm »
i like to keep simple... so if there is really a debate going on to add this feature or not, i would perfer simply alter the PSIlab (since its already in the game, just with the variation). I think it should just boost the main compat skills (accuracy, throwing, strenght and maybe energy or bravery)