Author Topic: Is there a way to change the size of the maps?  (Read 10690 times)

Emre

Is there a way to change the size of the maps?
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:10:56 am »
I like to play terror missions but the map feels small. Is there a way to change terror mission map size but crash site missions map size stay same?

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to change the size of the maps?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:27:32 am »
Have a look at ruleset, find the alienDeployments node

Here below an example

Spoiler:
alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_TERROR_MISSION
    data:
    width: 50
    length: 100
    height: 4
    civilians: 30
    terrains:
      - URBAN

Emre

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:42:24 am »
Thank you.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:46:17 am »
Thank you.

Hint : your new ruleset file could be only 4 lines long

Code: [Select]
alienDeployments:

or 5 if you decide to raise number of civilians accordingly  :)
alienDeployments:
    civilians: 30

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:28:25 pm »
I like to play terror missions but the map feels small. Is there a way to change terror mission map size but crash site missions map size stay same?

Try this mod. I enlarged the size of Terror Sites from 50x50 to 60x60 because I also feel that they were too small.

Emre

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »
Try this mod. I enlarged the size of Terror Sites from 50x50 to 60x60 because I also feel that they were too small.

This mod looks awesome. It does add extra maps, right? It doesn't remove the original maps. Can i still play the original terror site maps?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »
This mod looks awesome. It does add extra maps, right? It doesn't remove the original maps. Can i still play the original terror site maps?

The Mad City terrain consists of the original maps, plus versions of its buildings facing the 3 other possible directions.

Emre

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 06:52:54 pm »
Ok, thank you. This is one great job. Openxcom devs and contributers are all geniuses.

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
I use 100x100 maps for Terror Sites. 100x100 maps with 100 civilians.

I tried 100x100 UFO landing/crashsite maps but got some problem with farm terrain where there were black empty spaces.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 01:50:39 pm »
I use 100x100 maps for Terror Sites. 100x100 maps with 100 civilians.

I tried 100x100 UFO landing/crashsite maps but got some problem with farm terrain where there were black empty spaces.

This is should be your problem:
    mapBlocks:
      - name: CULTA00
        maxCount: 3

All farm map blocks can only appear 3 times on a map and there's only 19 individual map blocks, for a total of 57. On 100x100 maps you need 100 individual 10x10 map blocks to fill a map, and even with a Battleship (30x30, or 9 individual 10x10 map blocks) you don't have enough map blocks to fill the entire Battlescape, and the game simply adds empty space.

On the rest of the UFO terrains and Terror Sites you don't have that issue because there's no maxCount limits imposed on the individual map blocks (except on Urban, where you have largeBlockLimit: 5, which limits the number of 20x20 or higher map blocks to 5).

To solve the issue, simply remove the maxCount, or increase it to 6 or higher (6x19 = 124).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:01 pm »
Hobbes, do you think some city housing blocks could be imported to the farm terrain to provide more versatility? (After all, the farmers must live somewhere.)

I am not sure ho OpenXCom handles mcd files, and if it can have more than 255 objects at the same map.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:41 pm »
Hobbes, do you think some city housing blocks could be imported to the farm terrain to provide more versatility? (After all, the farmers must live somewhere.)

I am not sure ho OpenXCom handles mcd files, and if it can have more than 255 objects at the same map.

The MiB mod does this pretty well; sometimes you get the traditional farm, other times you get sort of a suburb with a few houses and buildings from the urban terrain.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 08:06:21 pm »

It's impossible for the game simply import the city map blocks and use both terrains to generate a battlescape. Each terrain has a set of mapDataSets (aka MCD tilesets) assigned that must be loaded by the game on a specific order:
  - name: URBAN
    mapDataSets:
      - BLANKS (required for all maps, MapView assigns it automatically)
      - ROADS
      - URBITS
      - URBAN
      - FRNITURE

This is the order that they were used when designing the individual maps. The game (and MapView) loads them in this order and they are then combined internally on a single tileset, with each entry on the list having its specific number identifier. This then is used to fill the Battlescape: e.g., on ground tile on location x,y,z goes MCD entry #178.

But if you added to the Farm terrain the Urban tilesets and maps:

- name: URBAN
    mapDataSets:
      - BLANKS
      - CULTIVAT
      - BARN
      - ROADS
      - URBITS
      - URBAN
      - FRNITURE

You'd have changed the entire order and you'd have to redo all of the Urban maps, since the MCD references would be all wrong due to the order being changed. This wouldn't affect the Farm maps, since the new order also starts with Cultivat and Barn but he Urban maps wouldn't start with Roads tileset anymore.

OXC can load and use more than 256 MCD entries (tiles) since it does not suffer from the limitations of the original game, where the internal number for each tile could only be 1 byte long.

The MiB mod does this pretty well; sometimes you get the traditional farm, other times you get sort of a suburb with a few houses and buildings from the urban terrain.

The MiB mod does this:
  - name: CULTA
    textures: [1, 2, 4]
  - name: URBANA
    mapDataSets:
      - BLANKS
      - ROADS
      - URBITS
      - URBAN
      - FRNITURE
    textures: [3]

It adds URBANA, which has exactly the same maps and tilesets of URBAN, I'm guessing the different name is because you can't have the same terrain assigned to both UFO and Terror Sites. And it also assigns it the Geoscape texture #3, which was previously assigned to Farm, so that UFOs that land on that Geoscape texture will have their missions on the URBANA terrain, and all the others on Farm. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:11:44 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 02:13:06 am »
Ah, thanks - that's basically what I feared...

Maybe I'll design a farmhouse when I have the time then.

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 04:28:19 pm »
This is should be your problem:
    mapBlocks:
      - name: CULTA00
        maxCount: 3

All farm map blocks can only appear 3 times on a map and there's only 19 individual map blocks, for a total of 57. On 100x100 maps you need 100 individual 10x10 map blocks to fill a map, and even with a Battleship (30x30, or 9 individual 10x10 map blocks) you don't have enough map blocks to fill the entire Battlescape, and the game simply adds empty space.

On the rest of the UFO terrains and Terror Sites you don't have that issue because there's no maxCount limits imposed on the individual map blocks (except on Urban, where you have largeBlockLimit: 5, which limits the number of 20x20 or higher map blocks to 5).

To solve the issue, simply remove the maxCount, or increase it to 6 or higher (6x19 = 124).
Thanks a lot. It worked. Is there any way to check which block contains what kind of terrain?