Author Topic: Sprite modding suggestion  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Sprite modding suggestion
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:02:50 am »
So far to make a sprite for a mod, we have to work with a specific palette and format, sometimes requiring us to download a software to deal with a batch of sprites in the case of animation ones... Why not make it so modders can use, for instance, PNG files with no specific palette so we can use all colors and stuff.

It would definitely make sprite creation a lot easier and faster, IMO. :3

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Sprite modding suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 05:56:17 pm »
I think allowing more palettes would likely damage the game's VGA aesthetics. I'm really unsure about this.

Frankly, I don't understand what sort of problems you mean. The only challenge with making new sprites is actually drawing them, but this can't be remedied. ;)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:40 pm »
Well, that depends on the modder, IMO. Good modders would try their best to keep the game's aesthetics in their mods the best they can. But being tied to a couple of palettes kinda limit things.

For instance, I have made sprites for this game, which were made to look like the original art but when you apply the vanilla palettes some of their colors either turn too bright and sharp or just into something entirely different.

It's not really a problem, it's just something that would make sprite making more comfortable.

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 01:06:34 am »
I agree emphatically, especially considering how poorly modern editors handle palettes and how frustrating that can get. Just look at the Doom community, they ditched 255 colors a long time ago and the community output has only improved in quality.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:08:35 am »
I agree emphatically, especially considering how poorly modern editors handle palettes and how frustrating that can get. Just look at the Doom community, they ditched 255 colors a long time ago and the community output has only improved in quality.

There is Doom community? O_o

Anyway, if you both say it'll be fine, then I shall join your plea! :)

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 03:18:44 am »
There is Doom community? O_o

You are kidding, right?

Anyway, this is a proyect using GzDooM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

No 256 colour limit :-)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:58:20 am »
You are kidding, right?

Anyway, this is a proyect using GzDooM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

No 256 colour limit :-)
That's the perfect example of what I mean. This mod looks awesome. I had no idea there were ppl making these kind of mods for D00M.

But yeah, modders wouldn't have to worry about the color limits from the vanilla game. :3

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:50:45 am »
to make such mod is quite an acomplishment
... would likely damage the game's VGA aesthetics.
but now for me it looks looks like every other 3d shooter

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 04:34:30 pm »
Chiko but if we switch to 32bit we loose something. Big point is that xcom have only 16 colors. Rest of palettes is used for shades of this colors.
Some RGB colors are repeated in palette, but because they have different shade they behave different in game.
Most extreme example of this is TFTD where same graphic have different look depend on deep.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=PALETTES.DAT#TFTD_Tactical_Palettes
Probably quarter of deep see palette have have same RGB values.

Another thing it that is possible to exploit palette structure, right now OXC is recoloring solders sprites depend on race. And this is only beginning of possibilities. Im now working on pixel animations and recoloring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85A8eSGpO5Q
Without palettes it will be 10 times harder.

Only thing I see to preserve xcom shading and moders freedom is expand palettes to 16bit index. Moders then could add new palettes to fill values bigger than 255 (graphic values will be offsetted to match its palette). This will allow that some temporally surface could store pixel form different palettes without loosing ability to shade like original game. This will be used by unit sprites that can have weapon form different palette and currently are cached in one surface. 

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:56:43 pm »
That is actually pretty awesome. I had no idea you could use palettes in that way.
I guess expanding the palettes like you suggest is better than gaining one feature and losing another. The shading thing with palettes looks useful enough.