Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Save game location and file association  (Read 4189 times)

Offline mauirixxx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION] Save game location and file association
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:36 pm »
Aloha,

After posting a small how-to for synchronizing OXC save games, I thought, wouldn't it be better if the OXC installer ALSO asks you where you'd like save your OXC save game files?

Also, have the saved game file associate with the OXC executable?

• Installer should ask you where you'd like you save games located, with the default location already in place
  • Allow the non-installer version to be passed a config file command line argument: "openxcom --config=/home/mauirixxx/weird-location/options.cfg" OR maybe "openxcom --savelocation=/anotherweirdplace/myoxcsaves" and have it auto open the config file located in that directory?
  • If no command line argument is passed, then default to the default save game location
  • Have the installer ask if you'd like it to automatically associate .sav files with OXC, with the default to NO - so as to not conflict with other programs that may already have that file extension associated
  • If .sav file association gets implemented, when opening the file have OXC bypass the intro movie
  • Implement a command line switch to bypass the intro movie - I know it's easily clicked through to cancel it, but after a few times it gets annoying to do :P

Mahalo for reading :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:24:29 pm by mauirixxx »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:56:24 am by SupSuper »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [SUGGESTION] Save game location and file association
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 01:16:56 am »
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)

Yeah, but I agree it would be nice to be able to set this at install, with no arcane moves required.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:11:07 am »
Well you can't have an option for where the option file with the option is. :P

I can have the installer adjust the shortcuts or whatever but that's about it, and I dunno if new people will grog what a "Data Folder" and "User Folder" are.

Offline mauirixxx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:54:42 am »
Well you can't have an option for where the option file with the option is. :P

I can have the installer adjust the shortcuts or whatever but that's about it, and I dunno if new people will grog what a "Data Folder" and "User Folder" are.

How about this:

If a custom save location is desired, then yes, adjust the shortcut on the installer. If no save location is specified, then by default it should look in the users home folder (for each respective system supported)

I would leave the data location command line switch as an advanced feature that under normal use ... wouldn't be used.