aliens

Author Topic: Xenonauts just came out  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Xenonauts just came out
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:52:31 am »
So it's finally here... The day Xenonauts crossed the finish line. I don't have much else to say as I haven't even played it yet. Heard the good news just now on OXC news and currently downloading it on Steam, but I'll have time to dig in tomorrow...

Well gentlemen, go enjoy this re-imagination of the Sacred UFO '94 Masterpiece and then come back to tell me your thoughts, comments, likes, dislikes, whatever you want about the game.*

*I especially love reading critiques from within the diehard OXC community.

Please keep the spoilers within spoiler tags please. I have painfully kept my distance from the game during development to make sure I play it blind and of course only UFO '94 as my guide.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:30:37 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts has launched!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38:27 am »
looks a lot like the crusader gane!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Re: Xenonauts just came out
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:17:00 am »
So I played through for over an hour. It's good so far, and I'm expecting to get blown away by something new mid-late game, so they better deliver. Lots of good changes that I liked, especially the graphics and maps, very refreshing. The first alien so far, not so interesting, looked like a human, but I'm waiting for some Cthulhu thing to pop in soon :D

I hope the modding community takes good care of this game in the years to come. If not, we still have OXC, and that's more than enough for me. I don't even play anything else hardcore anymore. That's sad, because I love video games ;_;

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:51 am »
I find they did a very good job with the lore and the art; they even talk about how the first alien looks like a human. Definitely my favorite part, adds loads to the atmosphere. The activity on the geoscape is also awesome; I have to chose between sending all my interceptors for an easy win or keep some back in case of more aliens.

Very pleased with it.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:47:20 am »
The lore really is great to read, I've been skipping them, because I don't have time, but you're right, that's very important ><!!

The activity on the Geoscape was a suggestion I gave them a long time ago. Probably wasn't my original idea, and out of all the crazy Geoscape ideas I had mixed in on that thread, they really liked that one. Easy to implement and lots of immersion.

Anyways, I lost my first campaign since I didn't even think about building a second base on the other side of the world to spot the hundreds of UFOs I was missing damn damn damn >< I also last everything on the last terror mission. really didn't expect so many aliens.

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:52:46 am »
I'm losing quite a bit on the terror missions, too. They can back-break your whole campaign instantly. Great game!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 02:15:01 am »
What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Veteran w/ Ironman. Definitely not going to give up yet. I want to take the beatings and adapt to the difficulty. Insane difficulty may just be stressful, I won't touch that one for a long time.

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 02:18:07 am »
I started on veteran ironman, then relented to normal with saving. I'd like to work back up to veteran, but it's quite a bit harder than the original X-Com!