aliens

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Problems running mods on openxcom 1.0 (xubuntu 12.04 compiled)  (Read 8282 times)

niculinux

After havin succesfully installed the game, seems i cnnaot play piratez mod!!!!  :o

In fact the game started, i activated the mod via the dedicated menu but then it fails to load showng me this:

(lick to enlarge)

I've tried also uppercasing some letters in the file  names, but still no way! Hell why i am su unlucky!!!  :'(

Edit: seems I got into troubles also when running mods in general:

nnggguuuueeeeee :'( Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:54:56 pm by niculinux »

niculinux

Re: Problems running mods on openxcom 1.0 (xubuntu 12.04 compiled)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:37:22 pm »
Actually, trying different mods seems some of them are working, so guess it's a mod compatibility problem?

...aahh.... >:(

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:02:28 pm »
As I am a Windows user, I am not sure to be able to help you, anyway as I did not meet so many installation errors, perhaps you did something wrong

I think you should :
- fully reinstall openxcom (perhaps use zip file for a manual installation)
- remove any existing user folder (anywhere on your computer) to be sure there is not an obsolete options.cfg somewhere else
- be sure a User folder does exists at same level as Data

Then, you should activate mods one by one, to determine if you have to face compliance issues or not :
- Activate 1st, test it
- De-activate first, activate 2nd, test it

Regarding resources issue, have a look at your Data folder, and check Resources is at right place inside (Data/Resources)

niculinux

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:12:19 pm »
As I am a Windows user, I am not sure to be able to help you, anyway as I did not meet so many installation errors, perhaps you did something wrong

I think you should :
- fully reinstall openxcom (perhaps use zip file for a manual installation)
- remove any existing user folder (anywhere on your computer) to be sure there is not an obsolete options.cfg somewhere else
- be sure a User folder does exists at same level as Data

Then, you should activate mods one by one, to determine if you have to face compliance issues or not :
- Activate 1st, test it
- De-activate first, activate 2nd, test it

Regarding resources issue, have a look at your Data folder, and check Resources is at right place inside (Data/Resources)

First of all, thanks Aldorn, already tryed those ways, seems linux handles something (files, file palettes) different from wndows, well but since i'm not a programmer, thats all I can say.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
The big difference is Linux is case-sensitive while Windows is not. Sadly, most mod authors are Windows users, so they get careless with filenames and don't notice any problems, since only Linux will complain.
In short, the file/folder names in the mod rulesets must be exactly the same as the actual filenames, or you will encounter these problems. You basically have to report problems to the mod authors and hope they fix them.

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:39:18 pm »
The big difference is Linux is case-sensitive while Windows is not. Sadly, most mod authors are Windows users, so they get careless with filenames and don't notice any problems, since only Linux will complain.
In short, the file/folder names in the mod rulesets must be exactly the same as the actual filenames, or you will encounter these problems. You basically have to report problems to the mod authors and hope they fix them.

also tryed that, most probaby there may be a palette problem?

Refer also a related thread here, for info! <3
click me

EDIT:  well, may also be something in the .rul file of a certain mod, something related to path there defined? I repeat i'm not a programmer, sadly...:,(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:42:36 pm by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »

I checked the Firearms Compilation mod for this, but haven't found anything wrong with either LMG or the taser. I'll try Falko's tool, but for now it's being moody.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:04:23 pm »
Sometimes is it useful for someone else to take a fresh look

Could you install only one not-working mod, then attach here :
- screen shots* of your mod folder tree (i.e. folders linked to mod + files inside)
- used ruleset file

* : png if possible

niculinux

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 11:18:32 pm »
OK here it goes for the shotgun mod (working)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:34 pm »
OK here it goes for the shotgun mod (working)
Do you mean Shotgun mod is working well, or not ?

I suppose it does not work

Could you attach screen shot of subfolders too (what is inside HandOb_Shotgun and Sounds) ?

Could you attach used .rul file too ?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:29:30 pm by Aldorn »

niculinux

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:49:48 pm »
Do you mean Shotgun mod is working well, or not ?

Ah, sorry i meant "working"

Could you attach screen shot of subfolders too (what is inside HandOb_Shotgun and Sounds) ?

Here:

Could you attach used .rul file too ?

File attached to post

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 12:00:30 am »
So we misunderstood, sorry... :-\

If Shotgun is working well, could you do same with LightMachineGun that seems to dysfunction ?

niculinux

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 12:10:33 am »
So we misunderstood, sorry... :-\

If Shotgun is working well, could you do same with LightMachineGun that seems to dysfunction ?

Pheraps in the future, sry, i really need to go to bed, coz I gotta go to work tomorrow...see you and thanks!!!

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 12:12:50 am »
No problem ;)

niculinux

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 08:54:40 pm »
Weel seems it's a problem of uppercasing letters in the sprites name, see here. I think this may count as solved ;)