Author Topic: <<< CRASH >>>  (Read 9473 times)

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
<<< CRASH >>>
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:39:16 am »
Wtf? Game does not even load?

I got my vanilla version from Steam. I downloaded OpenXcom 1.0 and it ran one time until I started adding the mods (why couldn't you just add them all from the start and then have the user switch on which ones they want? Seems pretty doable but nobody did it).

I never altered anything, I just added the resources, etc... then rulesets and them to the config document as I've done before only now the game doesn't load and crashes upon trying to start up. I've launched it from the desktop icon and from menus but all just crash and say it had to close.

What should I do? I spent literally hours putting the mods in. Somebody should put together a version with them in already the ones that actually work that is) or at least bundle some popular ones together (I know the idea is floating around - I've seen the thread).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:14:11 am by essohbe »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: <<< EXTREME CRASH >>>
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:11 am »
If you have broken your game with mods, you can delete the "options.cfg" file in your User Folder (Documents\OpenXcom in Windows) to reset options and disable all mods again.

There's no real way to debug what happened if you just put in all the mods at once. I'd suggest enabling them one by one, or at least check what mods people have no problems with, to find the problematic one, and then report it to the author(s).

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:02:36 am »
Beware that provided mods are built by different community members and are also not always fully compliants...

As an example :
- suppose a first mod adds a new alien race -> this will have an impact on some research triggers, as Alien Origins
Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_ALIEN_ORIGINS
    dependencies:
      - STR_CELATID_TERRORIST
      - STR_CHRYSSALID_TERRORIST
      - STR_CYBERDISC_TERRORIST
      - STR_CYBERMITE_TERRORIST #NEW
- suppose a second mod adds a new tech tree input, as for example to make Alien Reproduction needed to discover Alien Origins
    dependencies:
      - STR_CELATID_TERRORIST
      - STR_ALIEN_REPRODUCTION #NEW

If you want to make them compliant, you have to "integrate them"
    dependencies:
      - STR_CELATID_TERRORIST
      - STR_CYBERMITE_TERRORIST #NEW
      - STR_ALIEN_REPRODUCTION #NEW

In case you do not want to make this work yourself, you will have to wait for someone else to do the job => have a look at Solar's FMP (WIP !)

EDIT : example above will not crash the game, it was just to give an example of issue you could meet integrating many mods together
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:06:23 am by Aldorn »

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »
I FOUND IT.

There's a missing .dll file. I have no clue where it went or why it went away but I saved everything into a backup folder, re-installed the game so the missing file is replaced, then dragged everything back into the proper places.

I don't know if anyone else encountered that but I don't know how that just disappeared. Possibly got corrupted but I don't know for sure.

As for the mods, every mod works except for the custom grenades. Missing flashbang from the mod package wouldn't launch the game either so I just deleted it.

So yea, beware of corrupt .dll or other missing library link files. Still don't know what happened.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:26:21 am »
You might've installed the Soldier Diaries mod, which includes its own EXE and DLL (it's a code mod) and conflicted with your stuff.

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: <<< CRASH >>>
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
No diaries mod but I did use the "commendations" mod... which doesn't appeart to do anything at all. Is there a menu that brings up the commendations or is it found on the soldier's data page?

Also, my game crashes when the aliens assault one of my bases. I tried turning off and on "agressive retaliation" but it didn't do anything. Maybe look into that? I'm not experienced enough to suggest what might be wrong. 

??

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 01:19:57 am »
The Diaries mod was the early name for the Commendations mod. Post some details and maybe a save in this thread and I'll look into it : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1718.0

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:16:04 am »
There aren't any details that's the thing, nothing there. Lol?

I've also noticed the aliens only leave a corpse and drop no weapons whatsoever. Is this turned on in the options or is it a conflict with a mod?

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 02:27:01 pm »
There aren't any details that's the thing, nothing there. Lol?

I've also noticed the aliens only leave a corpse and drop no weapons whatsoever. Is this turned on in the options or is it a conflict with a mod?

Can you upload a save game prior to the base assault? I would really like to rule out my mod as a source of the crash.

Also, did you turn on the XCOM2012 mod where aliens only drop weapons if stunned?

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »
Have to double check that 2012 mod, thanks for the info. I don't know what half the things in the mods/advanced options are.

I don't have any save games prior to the crash. What happened is I loaded one previously and built a ton of plasma defences so they shoot the battleship down every time. A few times they failed so the base defense actualyl launched. So not sure if it has to do with not having defences or not? That;s the best clue I can give without having prior save file.

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:12 pm »
Hey I found another thread about it and this guy mite have more info or a save file for you: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2343.0

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 08:24:47 am »
Game crashes on trying to see craft inventory or soldier inventory, both in battle or base. This is from installing the commendations mod.

AVOID.

I have to start all over now. Can only reinstall, I have no clue where anything has gone wrong.

Too many mods to this game they all conflict with each other.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »
he just needs to update his code ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 01:10:07 pm »
Too many mods to this game they all conflict with each other.

Correction: too many mods in your ruleset folder. :)

Yes, mods do conflict in each other if they modify the same thing. The only way to avoid this is to use ready-made compilations (which don't really exist for X-Com yet) or just be very very careful. Luckily, this forum is very helpful.

And regarding the Commendations mod, I'm avoiding it too. I never managed to run it, and I want to be able to update OpenXCom daily anyway, so I'll wait until it's integrated into the main game (if ever).