Author Topic: Map Modding Questions  (Read 20753 times)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Map Modding Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 01:18:18 am »
You mean you need a 30x30 map to be used during base defense missions that is capable of holding 4 craft?

Would you also like to have a couple of Skyrangers to be present on the map during the base mission? Although with 4 of them it might get a little crowded... ;)
the default hangar is empty so a bigger one could be empty too :)
i would try my luck with a new hangar mod if i my game has a chance to survive its first base assault (without crash)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:22:28 am by Falko »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 04:18:38 am »
frequency is the odds of it's occurrence, maxcount is the maximum number of times it can be used.

if maxcount = 3 it has 3/n odds of being picked. if it is picked, the next time it will have 2/n odds.
if frequency = 3 it has 3/n odds of being picked.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 04:32:02 am »
the default hangar is empty so a bigger one could be empty too :)
i would try my luck with a new hangar mod if i my game has a chance to survive its first base assault (without crash)
As far as the Baseview is concerned, you can make facilities of any shape and size, although multi-craft hangars might break the sprites.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 04:35:23 am »
frequency is the odds of it's occurrence, maxcount is the maximum number of times it can be used.

if maxcount = 3 it has 3/n odds of being picked. if it is picked, the next time it will have 2/n odds.
if frequency = 3 it has 3/n odds of being picked.

Ah ha! Thanks, I'm going to update the wiki with that info.

So if maxcount = 1 then it has 3/1 odds of being picked the first time?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:37:00 am by Hobbes »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 07:01:38 am »
if maxcount = 1 it has 1/n chance, where n is the combined total of probabilities for all the map tile types combined

caveat: being used as a landing zone will NOT decrease its usage count, as the maxCount could potentially be less than the total number needed to fit the ufo and the landing craft

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 07:09:42 am »
if maxcount = 1 it has 1/n chance, where n is the combined total of probabilities for all the map tile types combined

caveat: being used as a landing zone will NOT decrease its usage count, as the maxCount could potentially be less than the total number needed to fit the ufo and the landing craft

Okie dokie, thanks a lot for the explanation.

So, if I'm understanding correctly then you should use either frequency or maxCount but not both?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:21:07 am by Hobbes »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 05:11:41 pm »
Okie dokie, thanks a lot for the explanation.

So, if I'm understanding correctly then you should use either frequency or maxCount but not both?

Hobes, as you are apparently able to make modifications of base , in case you have the time and the desire to do so, there was a request to add a new base facility "Corridor"
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2033.msg20679#msg20679

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 05:34:39 pm »
Hobes, as you are apparently able to make modifications of base , in case you have the time and the desire to do so, there was a request to add a new base facility "Corridor"
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2033.msg20679#msg20679

That design is going raise a few issues: first the human player will take better advantage of it than the aliens. Second, it favors long range sniping, which is another human advantage over the AI.

What I did a while ago, to prevent the chokepoints and force the human player to spread its units around was to redesign the Dirt module used to filling the unbuilt portions of the base so that aliens and XCOM can use it to move.  (see pic below)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »
That design is going raise a few issues: first the human player will take better advantage of it than the aliens. Second, it favors long range sniping, which is another human advantage over the AI.

What I did a while ago, to prevent the chokepoints and force the human player to spread its units around was to redesign the Dirt module used to filling the unbuilt portions of the base so that aliens and XCOM can use it to move.  (see pic below)
Thanks once more for contribution !

I guess Moriarty and other will be interested too, could you move it on given topic https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2033.msg19652#msg19652

Then prepare yourself to face other arguing for or against your proposition  ;)

EDIT : original idea was to put some wall with window, like in attached screen shot

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:46:32 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 05:58:08 pm »
EDIT : original idea was to put some wall with window, like in attached screen shot

Yeah, I read that but there isn't any walls with windows on the XBase tileset so it would be required to design the graphic and add it to a tileset. Which is certainly possible but at the moment I have 50 maps that need their AI route notes to be designed so that I can add those terrains to the terrain pack. I can give assistance but I'm a bit with other priorities at the moment ;)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 02:14:00 am »
You mean you need a 30x30 map to be used during base defense missions that is capable of holding 4 craft?
an empty 30x30 hangar would be fine
at the moment i am stuck (no map modding knowledge :( )

as you can see in the image base image (after the last nightly fix) one can create new facilities with size >2x2
in the second image you see the 4 10x10 hangar map parts are distributed left->right,top->bottom and hangar has 4 not 9 so a lot of dirt is there an a part of the hangar is not reachable (depending on placement)
so i hope my problem gets more understandable

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 03:14:50 am »
Try the file in attachment it is basically the hangar i posted previously. The thing is that I have no idea how the engine will deal with the .MAP file since it is supposed to automatically create the openings connecting the hangar to the other base modules. Most likely it will require 9 separate 10x10 files the same way that the current hangars are made of 4 10x10 map blocks.

The map block doesn't have any spawn points defined yet so don't expect to see aliens on the hangar.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 03:27:22 am »
thanks
unfortunately with XBASE_21 the complete hangar was replaced with dirt
its not something i really really need right now but some day... i would like to have/make something like that

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 04:05:08 am »
it's been a while since i dabbled in the map generation code, i'd have to look at it to give you proper answers about the maxcount and frequency but i'd say stick with one or the other.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 04:57:19 am »
it's been a while since i dabbled in the map generation code, i'd have to look at it to give you proper answers about the maxcount and frequency but i'd say stick with one or the other.

Yeah, that's what sound logical to me since one merely defines the probability of the map block being chosen while the other defines the probability and checks how many times it has been used. Although I suspect it may be possible to create two independent map blocks, if one creates a group of blocks with frequency = 0 and a value on mapCount. I may try this later in the future to see what happens.