aliens

Author Topic: Cryssalids & zombie mission  (Read 7711 times)

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
Cryssalids & zombie mission
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »
I thought of another mission that probably has crossed your minds.

If say, a snakeman ufo lands (the large ones carrying crysallids) and you aren't successful in tackling it.  Then maybe we could add a new mission type.  A Cryssalids threat.  Just a normal map (city/farmland) filled with zombies and cryssalids.

The "Outbreak" mission would have no ufos like a terror mission.  I only mentioned it because it should be really easy to implement.

Could also work for snakemen, like the way UFO:TTS has snakemen eggs being laid on the ground though you'll have to add an "attack" for the snakemen without weapons.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:14:18 pm by hellblade »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cryssalids & zombie mission
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:01:26 pm »
Isn't that very similar to a normal terror mission?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:06:20 am »
I think he means that if you fail to stop a landed UFO, it can spawn a new type of terror mission.

Although yeah that's pretty similar to how terror missions work, if you fail to stop the UFOs involved they'll pop up.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:46:30 pm »
Hmm, it should make a bit of sense story-wise :

If a ufo lands for research, harvest, abduction missions etc and your ground assault fails, the most logical consequence is that the aliens just continue with their mission and take off, no?

Also note that alien terror is not something aliens do when they feel like it.
They are very carefully planned missions by the "brain", a proper team is trained and briefed and after days of preparation the mission is executed to a strategically important, specifically chosen target. Their purpose is to make governments sign pacts with the aliens.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:07:27 pm by Daiky »

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »
Let me clarify.  It's not a terror mission.  And it's only related to Snakemen and Chryssalids.

Chryssalids are are more like animals than soldiers.  If it comes across a human, I bet it would NOT think, "Hmm ... maybe I should get on with my research mission first and leave this human alone".

And if you were the alien "brain".  Why would you not tell your Chryssallid to lay a few eggs (if they meet humans) before shipping it back out to space?  What have you got to loose?  One egg out of twenty per Chryssalid?

SupSuper is right.  It's "another" type of terror mission.  An accidental one.  If one ufo with Chryssalids lands and takes off.  There could be a "chance" of it spawning a zombie.  And of course it would be like resident evil.  One zombie can spawn more Chryssalids and then more zombies etc. etc.

The way snakemen are designed - the way they're born asexually with loads of eggs inside them? and the way they're paired up with Chryssalids?  I'm betting my idea has crossed the designers' minds.  It was never implemented cause in theory there'd be no stopping it.  But seeing how the guys at UFO:TTS are trying to implement it.  Why not us?

Seriously, after readying the autopsy report the first time you played X-Com - which of you has NOT thought of this idea?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:00:51 pm by hellblade »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:35 pm »
maybe this minsia will spawn only when you ignore or loose terror mission with Snakemen? and after couple of day will appear new terror mission in that same place but now you will fight only zombie and Chryssalids.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:30 pm »
Ok, I got it now :)

You are right that it always has been a bit unsatisfying that they added this very explicitly in the ufopaedia, but never did anything with it in the game.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:54:13 pm by Daiky »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:06:55 am »
Dont snakeman also carry approx 50 eggs with them as they are  "A sexual". Maybe they should be spawing from time to time also.

Volutar

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:09 am »
xcom1 graphics set doesn't even contain sprite with egg, not saying it wasn't implemented. Anyway it will violate original gameplay though it could be done in some sort of extension.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 12:25:14 pm »
"Anyway it will violate original game play "

I was not thinking about having them do it every mission  i was just thinking of a new mission type.

Mission story
 Several snakemen get stranded on earth and need to survive long enough to gather parts needed to build a transmitter . As such they lay there eggs in clusters to build there numbers until they can contact mother ship for evacuation .
   1:Have several egg clusters on the map
   2:Have them spawn a new unarmed snakeman randomly until found and destroyed
   3: Have several scavenged weapons around ( human weapons) for there spawn
   4: Your Radar has detected mother ship is on approach you have Random number of turns to eliminate  as many spawn as possible before it arrives ( bonus points for destroying egg sacks)
   5: If you fail what ever number on snakemen still alive at end of time   OR before evacuate site  get added to the next terror mission

At the very lest this would add more types of games for a " INSTANT BATTLE " option outside of the main campaign ;D

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:42:42 pm »
I don't think you need new graphics.  The guys at TTS just used the alien life forms research pictures and plugged out the snakeman and chryssalids eggs and used it in battlescape.