aliens

Author Topic: xcom ufo modding/editing tools for linux  (Read 5816 times)

niculinux

xcom ufo modding/editing tools for linux
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:32:48 pm »
I used to play ufo enemy unknown looong way back, since i was on windows, and remeber that tiem there was actually a few, editors to mod and edit game files, such as pck extractors and so on, but i have not find any pf them for linux, so i mat assume there's nothing? Maybe someone may want to make some, i don't think they would be hard to programme, hope not to get wrong, anyway thanks even for reading.

Instead, if some programs are avaiable, please ppst links and related stuff here? I was thinking myself to engage modding  :o but im on linux, and would stay likely forever. Tanks again abd peace love and respect!

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: xcom ufo modding/editing tools for linux
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:24:07 pm »
You might be able to run the old ones with Dosbox and WINE. Other than that, all you can really do is wait for someone around here to bake some multiplatform tools. Someone is already in the process of making the Tiled universal map editor work with X-COM maps, as far as I know.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 06:54:12 pm »
The PCKEdit/MapEdit tools use .NET, maybe they'd work under Linux with Mono? The source is open anyways, if anyone wants to give it a shot.

niculinux

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:50:58 pm »
The PCKEdit/MapEdit tools use .NET, maybe they'd work under Linux with Mono?

Sorry, what is Mono?  :o ???

Edit: ah ok got it: https://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Ah..one never stops learning  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:38:41 pm by niculinux »

niculinux

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:02:49 pm »
Hey as yrizoud wrote here:

It's grafx2, not graf2x.
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=grafx2
The Debian packages are very old, though - I released Grafx2 v2.4 in 2012!

There's actually a graf2x linux version, for debian specifically. Though quite old, hope some more tools would eventually come in the way!

Edit: sry was debian not ubuntu, though in that thread is reported that an ubuntu version is avaiable! Some tools for linux are also mentioned  in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:40:45 pm by niculinux »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:14:29 am »
The PCKEdit/MapEdit tools use .NET, maybe they'd work under Linux with Mono? The source is open anyways, if anyone wants to give it a shot.

They actually do have a working branch for linux on github from JonnyH. The issues is that there is a ARGB - RGBA problem, with mono dotnet ans transparency. See here
There is also a link towards the repository.