Author Topic: Mission frequency?  (Read 12924 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Mission frequency?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 09:53:52 am »
uh... check your math.
_spawnCountdown = (spawnTimer/2 + RNG::generate(0, spawnTimer))
half plus anywhere up to a whole.
that describes 50-150%
as for the comment in the code, ignore that, it's a comment. i never updated it when i fixed the algorithm.
it doesn't matter if the units are in minutes or in seconds or in aeons, as long as the numbers equate to the same thing.
I've gone over this a thousand times. don't take ufopaedia as a 100% credible source: it's not one.
but seriously, why does nobody believe me? am i THAT untrustworthy? it's really frustrating.
whatever, dig all you want, i don't care any more.

My mistake, sorry.

I don't know code much so I apologize if my questions are irritating, but I've never looked into the actual game code before like this and it is a great job you've done. And at the same time there's a lot to unlearn and relearn (and never really wondered much about how missions were actually generated in EU) , lots of questions simply coming out. :)

And there's so many new stuff to try that there's no wonder that the game does feel different for those who just started playing OXC. I'm on my first game with Sneaky AI and in 3 months I have already 50 KIAs... I'm loving it :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:01:40 am by Hobbes »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 10:11:09 am »
it just gets tiring for me, the truth is: nobody ever really knew how the missions worked, it was a mystery.
we decompiled it, studied it for weeks, checked and double checked and triple checked to make sure everything in the functionality was the same, triple checked it again, and STILL people say it's different from the original because the dice don't roll the same numbers they did in 1995.

by all means, feel free to study the code, ask about it, question it where you want, i'm not infallible. but "UFOPaedia says" are my two least favourite words: frankly it's incorrect about a lot of things, and almost deliberately vague about others, i've given up using it as a credible source of information long ago, and it would take a lifetime to correct all the mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:16:59 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »
by all means, feel free to study the code, ask about it, question it where you want, i'm not infallible. but "UFOPaedia says" are my two least favourite words: frankly it's incorrect about a lot of things, and almost deliberately vague about others, i've given up using it as a credible source of information long ago, and it would take a lifetime to correct all the mistakes.
Its hard for scientist to find anything interesting in wikipedia on this field. Its opposite, they should write articles. If you dont share your knowledge to wider audience its hard to blame them on relying on most accurate sources they have access to.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 08:17:37 pm »
it just gets tiring for me, the truth is: nobody ever really knew how the missions worked, it was a mystery.
we decompiled it, studied it for weeks, checked and double checked and triple checked to make sure everything in the functionality was the same, triple checked it again, and STILL people say it's different from the original because the dice don't roll the same numbers they did in 1995.

I completely agree: no one knew how exactly it worked and personal remembrances can be plainly wrong since human memory is fallible.

Gotcha about the UFOPaedia and the incorrectness of the info. As for correcting the mistakes, I'll take a swing at it later on when I understand the whole mission thing better.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:11 am »
Maybe a mod could be added that lets you simply tweak how often missions get generated and enforce a certain amount of variety. I've played a few games, and I definitely feel that I simply never see certain missions like Abductions and Harvest get spawned.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »
Maybe a mod could be added that lets you simply tweak how often missions get generated and enforce a certain amount of variety. I've played a few games, and I definitely feel that I simply never see certain missions like Abductions and Harvest get spawned.

This is moddable, and quite easily too when compared to stuff like adding graphical content. Missions are listed in the "missionWeights" section, separately for each region. for example:

Code: [Select]
regions:
  - type: STR_NORTH_AMERICA
  (...)
    missionWeights:
      STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH: 14
      STR_ALIEN_HARVEST: 17
      STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION: 20
      STR_ALIEN_INFILTRATION: 20
      STR_ALIEN_BASE: 20

You can make a new .rul file and put something like this in it:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_NORTH_AMERICA
    missionWeights:
      STR_ALIEN_HARVEST: 34
      STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION: 40

This will double Abduction and Harvest missions in North America. You can do the same for all regions.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 04:54:58 pm »
ok, i've double checked the wave data. there ARE 6 ships in an abduction mission, in the original and in openxcom: the 5th wave has 2 ships in it.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »
ok, i've double checked the wave data. there ARE 6 ships in an abduction mission, in the original and in openxcom: the 5th wave has 2 ships in it.

Correct again my mistake... I should recheck before I post (but the alien voices in my head sometimes are too distracting).

Whenever I have time I definitely need to fix the info on the UFOPaedia.