aliens

Author Topic: Grenade Ideas/Tweaks  (Read 4652 times)

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
Grenade Ideas/Tweaks
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:48:41 pm »
I find grenades to be a very unique tactical option in this game, and can make or break your squad. I use them with Instant Grenades ON, but they are like sniper weapons that must be used by someone who has not moved yet and is strong enough to put it where it needs to go, or primed before battle which, while being an excellent option, can be very dangerous to your operatives/assets. I've never used the famous Grenade Relay before because I like Instant Grenades and the relay tactic is pretty ineffective with that option, but I have an idea that could fix that----what if grenades that are set to 0 explode on impact but if set to 1 wait for the end of the current Soldier turn before exploding, and set to 2 explode on the end of the next alien turn and so on? That way Instant Grenades doesn't effectively negate relay tactics.

Currently, set to 0 explodes instantly but set to 1 lets the aliens move and attack before they explode, while 2 makes it explode directly after the soldiers next turn and 3 waits for the aliens again. Seems inconsistent. Also, for the sake of completing my idea, it should also ignore the Civvie turn for this (I think it does already, but I'm not sure). It would look something like this: end soldier turn--> explosion timer reduced (if 0 it explodes), then the alien turn goes and ends, explosion timer reduced, Civvie turn, Soldier turn, explosion timer reduced and so on. I'm sure someone smarter than I could simplify what I'm saying here, but I hope I'm coming across right.

Also could the throw animation speed be slowed down compared to the firing animation speed? I'd like to see a thrown object sail through the air for a time before it lands, right now they're thrown with the velocity of a bullet, which is unrealistic.

And one more request: Can the TUs it takes to prime a grenade be moved to the ruleset? I'd like to mod in and play around with the balancing of a flat-rate cost of priming, the idea here is so that veterans can use them with greater efficiency than rookies.

Ideas, suggestions, feedback?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:15:51 am by TurkishSwede »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Grenade Ideas/Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:59:55 pm »
+1 for the "1"=end of xcom turn using  "instant grenades on"
+1 for TUs in ruleset

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:45:39 am »
Also could the throw animation speed be slowed down compared to the firing animation speed? I'd like to see a thrown object sail through the air for a time before it lands, right now they're thrown with the velocity of a bullet, which is unrealistic.
This would be nice

And one more request: Can the TUs it takes to prime a grenade be moved to the ruleset? I'd like to mod in and play around with the balancing of a flat-rate cost of priming, the idea here is so that veterans can use them with greater efficiency than rookies.
Agree

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:48:49 am »
what if grenades that are set to 0 explode on impact but if set to 1 wait for the end of the current Soldier turn before exploding, and set to 2 explode on the end of the next alien turn and so on? That way Instant Grenades doesn't effectively negate relay tactics.

+1 Yes, Please!

Currently, set to 0 explodes instantly but set to 1 lets the aliens move and attack before they explode, while 2 makes it explode directly after the soldiers next turn and 3 waits for the aliens again. Seems inconsistent.

It's already very consistent. The difference is just prime 0 w/o mod and w/ mod.

(I think it does already, but I'm not sure).

It already does. :)

Also could the throw animation speed be slowed down compared to the firing animation speed?

+1 REALISTIC!

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:46:27 pm »
+1 for the "1"=end of xcom turn using  "instant grenades on"
+1 for TUs in ruleset

Yes, I agree. That would be a great improvement!

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 02:55:35 am »
This would all make using grenades a lot easier overall with the Instant Grenades option and would also give more customizability to modders.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 06:33:27 am »
This would all make using grenades a lot easier overall with the Instant Grenades option and would also give more customizability to modders.

I don't have any problem with more options to change how things work, so the more the merrier.

That said, do we really need grenades to be "a lot easier overall"?  I use the Instant Grenades option because I think the grenade relay trick is completely ridiculous.  The option prevents me from being tempted to use when I "really need to".  However, I think grenades are already incredibly powerful.  Sure, you have distance issues and sometimes you have trouble getting a good throwing angle, but I toss them around like confetti especially in the early stages of the game and they save my troops many deaths trying to get good shots on enemies.  Instant grenades already have an advantage of instantly knowing the results thereby not having to wait until the end of the turn and mostly importantly not being subject to any reaction fire by the now dead alien.  So, they may be a bit too good with that option so I don't see any reason they need to be easier or even more flexible to use.

The thought just strikes me that we could have an option to remove the advantages of the instant grenades but yet prevent them from being picked up when armed so that the grenade relay trick is useless.

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 08:14:14 am »
I actually never really use the relay trick either, but people are gonna want to be able to use grenade relay with instant grenades, or like you said, neither if that's their thing. Right now it's either one or the other, unless you just refuse to do relay entirely.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 12:45:31 pm »
I don't see much of a problem with the relay trick. It's not THAT unrealistic, especially compared to many other aspects of the game.