Author Topic: The OXC Thinktank  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
The OXC Thinktank
« on: June 14, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »
For all the members of XCOM... who dare think big

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The OXC Thinktank
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 01:20:49 pm »
I was thinking about possibilities while digging through the forum... I have noticed, a lot of people want good improvements, so here we could list all of them, for futuremod developing. This could be used as the creative corner on the XCOM base...

I have also a couple of suggestions...

1., A variety of aircrafts:
This would mean, different crafts, with different properties (for instance larger fueltanks, more weapons to fit, faster engines etc). For testing purposes we could use the interceptor, just with varied type designations( for instance Interceptor Mk1 (the good old fighter of xcom) Interceptor MK2 (larger fuel tank, so it can cover larger parts of the globe) etc.

2., It could be used for the soldier weapons aswell. Rifle Mk1 could be the standard XCOM rifle variant, while Rifle Mk2 could be more accurate, or more faster etc.

3., Multiphased Terrorcity! I think the cities which gets attacked are a bit smallish (but not complaining) so we could give the aliens some chance, that they occupy more parts of a city.

4., Civilians on Ufo recovery missions as well. Not much, for instance in farms ther could live a family happily (3-4 members). The rural areas could contain some very unlucky hikers etc:)

5., I was digging through OXC forums, and i found a topic which introduces more PSI abilities... i think thats a topic we could not push aside, since it has so many potential. I loved the idea of telekinesis for instance, my english is not that good, but the PSIsoldiers could also have a power, which would be like the motionscanner, just in built:)

6., Could we make a base facility called combat training? Cause everytime I lead my soldiers out for a battle, I always have to tell my soldiers left at base, to clean, to do administrative duties etc. But I want them improve (in a slow pace, and probably the combat room would improve their shooting, reaction, streght)
Im just throwing in some ideas, i hope i dont offend anyone... I just want to contribute to the defense of our planet:)

The idea behind 1., and 2., is to make our organizations more unique...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:26:06 pm by Souljah1214 »

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »
6) this could be done in same way as psi training. I think that every month you will decide what training your solders will take (only one per solder).
We could add new stats that can be trained there. e.g. 3 separate stats for Aim/Auto/Snap shot bonus accuracy, prime grenade speed etc.
This will allow crating specialization that will be more organic that hard "class" system.

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:09:53 am »
and we could use the graphics from the PSItraining facility...

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:41:46 pm »
So i was thinking about those additional aircrafts.... it could be something like this:

- type: STR_INTERCEPTOR_MK1
    sprite: 3
    fuelMax: 1000
    damageMax: 100
    speedMax: 2100
    accel: 3
    weapons: 2
    costBuy: 600000
    costRent: 600000
    refuelRate: 50
    transferTime: 96
    score: 250

The base model for the Interceptor fighter family

- type: STR_INTERCEPTOR_MK2
    fuelMax: 1500
    damageMax: 90
    speedMax: 2100
    weapons: 1
    refuelRate: 40

The recon version of the Interceptor, with slightly larger internal fuel tanks but one less room for weapons. This would also mean, it needs more time to refuel after a mission.

- type: STR_INTERCEPTOR_MK3
    fuelMax: 1000
    damageMax: 120
    speedMax: 2000
    weapons: 3
    refuelRate: 50

The heavy variant of the Interceptor, with additional armour plating and one extra room for a weapon

I already tried to implement into a custom ruleset, but since im not a coding genius, i dont know how, when I started a new game, I was setting up my base, and the Skyranger arrived with the first hanger, but the two interceptors were missing from the shipment... So i dont know what else should I modify, to start the game with InterceptorMK1 and maybe InterceptorMK2. Hopefully i will get some help from the coding wizards.... Thanks in advance

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »
So i was thinking about those additional aircrafts....

Try this:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2158.0

Just remember to apply a patch found in this post:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2158.msg22314#msg22314

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 02:10:43 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer.... i thought im the only human left, fighting off the alien invasion:D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 02:21:22 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer.... i thought im the only human left, fighting off the alien invasion:D

Fear not, for we are legion.

Offline animal310

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »
Ever since I first played the game I've missed the fact that the Interceptor and Firestorm don’t have their own Battlescape Graphics.

There could be shot down Interceptor rescue missions or just one pilot trying to hold off an attack from the Aliens, or the option to send an Interceptor to deal with a crashed small scout etc.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 03:50:09 pm »
Ever since I first played the game I've missed the fact that the Interceptor and Firestorm don’t have their own Battlescape Graphics.

There could be shot down Interceptor rescue missions or just one pilot trying to hold off an attack from the Aliens, or the option to send an Interceptor to deal with a crashed small scout etc.

Also the obvious, planes in hangars during X-Com base assault. The game text says they were "evacuated", but we all know they're lost if you lose the base... :)

Offline animal310

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 04:01:26 pm »
Yes, exactly! Lol. I remember first seeing that text about the ships taking off and thinking it was because they must have run out of time to do the graphics for the Interceptor. 

I noted some things down about xcom years ago, most of which seems to have been implemented in this great mod. There are a couple of things though.

In the original (and I suspect it’s the same here although I’m just about to play a full game) the aliens would always target the weakest pyi soldier for pyi attack. Having the option to make it random would be nice or line of sight for both Aliens and Xcom.

I always felt that the initial base attack segment could do with work, ie the more damage you inflict on the battleship the less aliens attack your base, even if it’s a small adjustment. . Linked to this the Aliens never stopped sending ships to a 'found' base in the original until one successfully landed, I take it that bug has been fixed?

The only other thing was what the UFO the two sides team were doing, they had something great there, was sad to see it stop.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:25:33 pm by animal310 »