aliens

Author Topic: (Help/Inquiry) - Council Funding Changes  (Read 9872 times)

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(Help/Inquiry) - Council Funding Changes
« on: June 10, 2014, 12:56:31 am »
Hi, I do apologize in advance if this is in the incorrect subforum or section.

I was just pondering upon if it were indeed possible to disable the choice of Council funding. By which in a sense I mean make it so that if it ever came to it, you could still continue to play through the game even after all nations give up or leave you. Allowing you to run XCom via a internally funded sort of style.

I recall Xcom Extended had this function and allowed you to keep playing if the council ceased all funding or if the majority or all nations ceased payments.

Thanks

Ajax

Offline AzureSkye

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: (Help/Inquiry) - Council Funding Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:23:01 am »
I believe XCom has always allowed to you to play as long has you have the cash.

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:44:51 am »
I believe XCom has always allowed to you to play as long has you have the cash.

Sadly through my hundreds of play-throughs of the original X-Com any large amounts of consecutive low ratings cuts the game short and fails you and stops you playing.

Openxcom although I haven't failed yet, I assume keeps the same thing.

Hence my question of if it's viable, would it be possible to have all nations set as failed if it ever came to it, but still keep playing by funding your exploits via way of selling Excess weapons and such after raiding supply ships etc.  :)

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 02:44:07 am »
Sadly through my hundreds of play-throughs of the original X-Com any large amounts of consecutive low ratings cuts the game short and fails you and stops you playing.

Openxcom although I haven't failed yet, I assume keeps the same thing.

Hence my question of if it's viable, would it be possible to have all nations set as failed if it ever came to it, but still keep playing by funding your exploits via way of selling Excess weapons and such after raiding supply ships etc.  :)

Low ratings and council funding are two different things that although intertwined don't necessarily depend on each other. It is possible to finish x-com without having all funding nations signing pacts with the aliens. In fact this is an inevitability from a certain point in the game, when the aliens just start sending infiltration mission after infiltration mission. The only country that will never sign a pact with the aliens is Russia. This is likely made to ensure the player can continue through self-funding by manufacturing and selling items and the support from a single funding nation.

If I recall correctly, this standard is kept in OXC. Based on this, you already have what you're asking here. In fact you always had it, including the original game. Failling due to low rankings is a different issue altogether, a feature imposed to remind the player not to shirk his responsibilities.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:46:48 am »
Hyth's right, the only major difference is that in the original, Russia was hard coded not to make a pact. we don't have the same hard coding, but the aliens also don't run infiltration missions in Russia, so it never pops up either way.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:08:43 am »
Low ratings and council funding are two different things that although intertwined don't necessarily depend on each other. It is possible to finish x-com without having all funding nations signing pacts with the aliens. In fact this is an inevitability from a certain point in the game, when the aliens just start sending infiltration mission after infiltration mission. The only country that will never sign a pact with the aliens is Russia. This is likely made to ensure the player can continue through self-funding by manufacturing and selling items and the support from a single funding nation.

If I recall correctly, this standard is kept in OXC. Based on this, you already have what you're asking here. In fact you always had it, including the original game. Failling due to low rankings is a different issue altogether, a feature imposed to remind the player not to shirk his responsibilities.

I like this idea too, as I am seduced by a game a lot more difficult, but with possibility to still win on the long term.

As a conclusion, would it be possible to implement an option that allows you to play without any score constraint ?

Or a way to modify this (these) score constraint (s) ?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 02:28:50 pm »
Score constraints are based on game difficulty: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Scoring#Losing_The_Game

If you played without constraints you would basically be playing sandbox, not really a challenge. :P

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:48:31 pm »
I believe I may have failed to put my point across correctly and as such became misunderstood. I am aware that you are able to lose nearly all countries to a pact and still continue, however my question was regarding the game over.

If I ran 3 or so months with a -1000 odd score. The funding would stop entirely and the Xcom project ceases and as such you get a game over.

My question was if it is possible to have the ability to make it so that, if it came to it, and you ran 3 or so months with a super low score and as such got "Cut off". But be able to have it so that instead of having a game over, just make it so that all funding ceases entirely and you are left entirely to your own devices becoming somewhat of a vigilante type of organization depending entirely on trying to make ends meet via self funding, be it manufacture or raids on the enemy ships and such.

Hopefully that clears up what I meant. If not I shall try and reword it more clearly.  ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:25:20 pm »
I think it's far too easy to become self-sustained to allow this.

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:08:13 pm »
True, however I find the forced end game annoying, especially as say you have to take a time out to wait for equipment or even troops to arrive and in that time, be forced to miss out on a Terror mission and have that push you over the edge.

Again it's just a personal thing. And as such its why I inquire as to a way to achieve this for myself rather than as a request for it to be put into the game.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:39:54 pm »
Having no game over due to bad scoring would practically mean you could go on and ignore terror missions and alien bases without a care in the world. The point of X-COM is that you're supposed to be protecting Earth, not dicking around, felling UFOs whenever you feel like.

True, however I find the forced end game annoying, especially as say you have to take a time out to wait for equipment or even troops to arrive and in that time, be forced to miss out on a Terror mission and have that push you over the edge.

That takes like, how much, one day or two to transfer equipment and soldiers to a base? And you don't keep backup forces at all? How are you even playing the game? Not to mention it is very easy to keep safe from terror missions as soon as you get a hyperwave decoder and the Firestorm craft.

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 11:44:07 pm »
Having no game over due to bad scoring would practically mean you could go on and ignore terror missions and alien bases without a care in the world. The point of X-COM is that you're supposed to be protecting Earth, not dicking around, felling UFOs whenever you feel like.

That takes like, how much, one day or two to transfer equipment and soldiers to a base? And you don't keep backup forces at all? How are you even playing the game? Not to mention it is very easy to keep safe from terror missions as soon as you get a hyperwave decoder and the Firestorm craft.

I feel like you entirely missed my point.

It was an example. Not an actual scenario for which turned out to be a catalyst towards my desire.

I was just hoping someone would shed some light as to a path of which I could take that would allow me to achieve what I was after.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:14 pm »
Edit the savegames to force non-negative score in past months, I guess.

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 11:57:19 pm »
I somehow feel like my point is entirely missed throughout this entire thread.

I don't wish to negate negative scores. Just the ability to have consecutive low scores, and lose countries and such without having the end game. Leaving funding from Council to become void and add an entirely new layer of gameplay if the person in question who is playing, is interested in that sort of thing.

Making you have to keep on-top of your finances personally rather than brushing them off for a the large part knowing that you can be kept afloat by Council funding.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:12:12 am »
But the Council money is ultimately meaningless, being greatly outweighed by funds acquired from selling the stuff.

I understand this probably is not exactly what you hoped for, but I feel that editing past negative scores within a save would give you this kind of experience that you seem to want. If not, then I indeed do not understand your goal at all.