Author Topic: A few more questions  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Xangi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
A few more questions
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »
So I looked over the ruleset reference on UFOpaedia and I have a few questions:

- Can I make a weapon do multiple types of damage at once?
- Do the custom explosion sizes actually work? The wiki said something about them being limited/broken?
- I heard somewhere that the new git version allows you to link a bullet's sprite to its magazine/clip, how would I do that?
- Is there a damage falloff over range setting?
- What happens if 2 extrasprite/extrasound entries share a number?
- Is there a limit to the number of ammo types for a weapon?
- How do I remove an entry, like say STR_PISTOL_CLIP?

Also just a few misc things that aren't really ruleset questions:

- What happens if you give a bullet the High Explosive damagetype but no explosions, would it just apply its damage through that type?
- Can stun damage kill?
- What's the most common armor type, and the least common? I'm looking through the rulesets but I might get an answer here before I find it.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:19:21 pm by Xangi »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A few more questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:37:18 pm »
- Can I make a weapon do multiple types of damage at once?
enabling melee with a normal weapon -> melee attack stuns the nomal aattack makes the rul-defined damage the other obvious way is of course different ammunition

- Do the custom explosion sizes actually work? The wiki said something about them being limited/broken?
i created a explosion that leveled >80% of the map see https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2060.msg20098#msg20098 and there is an explanation that power+blastradius play together during an explosion

- I heard somewhere that the new git version allows you to link a bullet's sprite to its magazine/clip, how would I do that?
dont know

- Is there a damage falloff over range setting?
in a way: enable the ufo-extender-accuracy option you get less hits if they are far away

- What happens if 2 extrasprite/extrasound entries share a number?
i dont know you could try the pirates mod https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1898.0
there is such an entry:
Code: [Select]
extraSprites:
  - type: FLOOROB.PCK
    files:
      83: Resources/Piratez/FLOOROB/FloorBarrel.gif
      83: Resources/Piratez/FLOOROB/FloorDynamite.gif

- Is there a limit to the number of ammo types for a weapon?
as far as i know no there is not

- How do I remove an entry, like say STR_PISTOL_CLIP?
items:
  - delete: STR_PISTOL_CLIP
but it is prefered to do
items:
  - type: STR_PISTOL_CLIP
    requires:
       -STR_ALIEN_ONLY
     costBuy: 0

- Can stun damage kill?
no if you enable alien bleeding and stun a injured alien he bleeds out but stun itdelf does not injure

- What happens if you give a bullet the High Explosive damagetype but no explosions, would it just apply its damage through that type?
how do you "give explosion" - hitAnimation is zeo for all HE weapons?

Offline Xangi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:49:17 pm »
Only left in the relevant thing

how do you "give explosion" - hitAnimation is zeo for all HE weapons?
Thanks for the responses, sucks about the multiple damagetypes, I was hoping to get some hybrid AP/Plasma rounds but oh well.

The damagetype setting has a value for "High Explosive" which is 3. I'm wondering what'll happen if I just assign that to a bullet without any of the other things which normally define an explosion.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:50:51 pm »
Yes. It means aliens which have resistance to explosive would get the same resistance to those "bullets".

Offline Xangi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:57:46 pm »
Yes. It means aliens which have resistance to explosive would get the same resistance to those "bullets".
That's perfect actually, it means I can have another damage type to use. Now let's say I give that bullet a blastradius of 1, can it then shoot through walls with ease? Assuming its power is, say, 30.

EDIT: Oh also, how do you use the producedItems setting in manufacture? Is it the same format as requiredItems?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:09:26 am by Xangi »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 02:44:06 am »
Err, well now I have a doubt whether HE is hard-coded to cause area-or-effect.
In any case, what you described is basically a clip of autocannon-HE or heavy cannon-HE. You can set blastradius=1 so that it affects only one tile.

Offline Xangi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 02:49:42 am »
BlastRadius: 1 makes it hit 9 tiles, but yeah. I've pretty well done what I wanted to do, mod just needs balancing now. Hopefully I don't run into too many issues.

EDIT: Can you make aliens deploy with more than just their normal plasma weapons? Say I wanted to make a new class of guns for example. I'm guessing this involves mission editing or something.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:47:43 am by Xangi »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 06:20:56 pm »
EDIT: Can you make aliens deploy with more than just their normal plasma weapons? Say I wanted to make a new class of guns for example. I'm guessing this involves mission editing or something.

Sure, just make the new weapon and insert it in the alienDeployments section. You can give them Heavy Cannons or whatever.