Author Topic: [DEFAULT RULESET] Research costs and points for finished research  (Read 2650 times)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Lately I checked the standard Xcom1 ruleset for the necessary research points and the score you get after research.
There I found some strange things:

1. The following research topics give no points to your monthly score:
UFO POWER SOURCE
UFO EXAMINATION ROOM
Sectoid Engineer

2. Two topics have some strange research cost not in line with the others:
Sectoid Commander
Power Suit

3. "Alien Autopsies" and "Live Alien Research" each have a "dummy" topic with zero research cost.
I think these are for dealing with the free topics you get when you researched a medic.
The dummy Chryssalid, Silacoid and Celatid, however, each have a research cost of 170.

4. The "cost: 0" line for all dummy topics could be deleted, because the default value is 0
This could shorten the ruleset a bit.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [DEFAULT RULESET] Research costs and points for finished research
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:16:04 am »
1: yup, they were missing the score entries, my bad.

2: not a mistake

3: don't worry about that, free research is added free regardless, and they're not dummies, they're substitutes. it adds the substitute so that the game still considers that particular race/rank combo as viable unless all possible research knowledge has already been extracted from the specimen.
their cost never comes into any equation, as they are granted by the parent research.

4: sure, couldn't hurt to tidy up a little.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:20:13 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [DEFAULT RULESET] Research costs and points for finished research
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35:26 pm »
I saw the superfluous "cost: 0" and "cost: 170" lines were removed in the latest nightly build.  :D

Someone may also remove the "cost 170" line in the STR_CELATID research, which seems to be still there.