aliens

Author Topic: HWP options  (Read 12664 times)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
HWP options
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:56:27 pm »
Two suggestions regarding HWP's

1. They should have an inventory screen. Of course they should not be able to pick up items, but one can imagine that they have an automatic ammo loading mechanism, which let you choose which ammo to load. For example the rocket HWP could have different kinds of rockets and in the inventory screen you could load the rocket type you want.

2. HWP'S should have a chance to explode when they die, similar to a cyberdisc. But the cyberdisc explosion is too strong and happens always when they die (I know, when you hit them with an HE Weapon, they don't explode, but this I consider a bug, because it makes absolutely no sense at all)
So it would be nice, if one can define an "explosion strength/blastradius" and "explosion chance" for dying vehicles in the ruleset file. 

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: HWP options
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:03 pm »
3. Another thing I would suggest to change is how the clipsize of HWPs is handled in the ruleset:
- For craft weapons and handheld weapons the clipsize gives the amount of ammo in one ammo-item.
- However, for HWP ammo clipsize gives the amount of ammo-items you can put in your HWP and each ammo-item has by default only one shot.

In my opinion the clipsize for HWPs should be handled like the clipsize for craft weapons. This is much more flexible, in line with the other clipsize tags, and one can design HWP-ammo-items with more than 1 shot. 

EDIT

4. When adding an HWP to the skyranger you can only add them, if it is fully loaded with ammunition. The warning is fine. However, it would be better to optionally allow to take the partially loaded or unloaded HWP with you.
It cann still be very useful for scouting or some shooting.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:15:22 am by clownagent »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »
i have a test cyberdisk tank
i could bring that tank to an explosian "as a tank"
specab: 1 in units and  with      power and blastRadius in the resulting corpse you can fix some of what you want
i cant give you random(chance to) explosion :(

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:00 am »
In my opinion the clipsize for HWPs should be handled like the clipsize for craft weapons. This is much more flexible, in line with the other clipsize tags, and one can design HWP-ammo-items with more than 1 shot.

Oh yes, definitely. I lost quite a bit of time on this before I concluded it wasn't possible.

Now I force the people to buy 200 bullets separately for my minigun tank. :P

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:23:23 pm »
Oh yes, definitely. I lost quite a bit of time on this before I concluded it wasn't possible.

Now I force the people to buy 200 bullets separately for my minigun tank. :P
I hope you set bullets size to 0...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:20:31 pm »
I hope you set bullets size to 0...

It's 0.001 actually. :)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:12:58 pm »
i have a test cyberdisk tank
i could bring that tank to an explosian "as a tank"
specab: 1 in units and  with      power and blastRadius in the resulting corpse you can fix some of what you want
i cant give you random(chance to) explosion :(

Ah, thanks I didn't know that I can change power and blastradius of the corpse.

With "specab: 1" does the unit follow the buggy "Cyberdisc explosion rules": When it is hit by a HE weapon or "in the air" it will not explode?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 06:57:55 am »
there is no "in the air" exception only a "HE"-exception and that still applies to a cyberdisk-tank

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:30 am »
the "in the air" exception applies to recovery of a corpse, in that the corpse falls to the level below before the explosion goes off in the air, and it's not a bug that HE/stun damage doesn't set off the self destruct mechanism, that's entirely by design.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:25:43 pm »
the "in the air" exception applies to recovery of a corpse, in that the corpse falls to the level below before the explosion goes off in the air, and it's not a bug that HE/stun damage doesn't set off the self destruct mechanism, that's entirely by design.

Yes, I know it's vanilla behavior. However, the mechanism is just so implausible that it "feels" like a bug. I can understand that some people want to experience the original behavior, but I would be happy if one can change it in the ruleset to a more reasonable behavior like an "explosion chance" of xx % no matter what the cause of the destruction of the cyberdisc is.

I mean it is really difficult to figure out a reasonable explanation for the original cyberdisc mechanisms:
1.  "the corpse falls to the level below before the explosion goes off in the air". So what does it mean ingame?  The cyberdisc ejects its own self destruction mechanism in the air, and after the corpse hits the ground it goes off?
2. Self destruction mechanism does not work if the cyberdisc is hit by an explosion, but it works perfectly if hit by plasma, laser or any other high energy projectile? Why?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:30:21 am »
explanation is simple: it's a video game. it doesn't have to make sense.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 12:08:18 pm »
I just realized, the "in the air" feature is not going to happen in OpenXcom when explosion height is > 0 ? Because the blast will hit the level(s) below, and thus destroy the corpse anyway.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 09:56:38 pm »
explanation is simple: it's a video game. it doesn't have to make sense.

Ok, now with that you can justify anything.
Personally, i like some kind of in-game logic, but that is of course a matter of taste.

Anyway, I would appreciate it very much, if one can modify the explosion and corpse recovery behavior via the ruleset.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »
If you set armor: (big enough number) for STR_CYBERDISC_CORPSE, the corpse should survive all explosions, including the one that it causes on death.
This way, you will always recover the wreakage. No difference if "in the air", with or without explosion height.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:52 pm »
If you set armor: (big enough number) for STR_CYBERDISC_CORPSE, the corpse should survive all explosions, including the one that it causes on death.
This way, you will always recover the wreakage. No difference if "in the air", with or without explosion height.

That's a very good idea, it might be useful for my mod.  :)