Author Topic: Sectoid Terror Ships  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Aquarium

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Sectoid Terror Ships
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:20:39 am »
I have started playing game again last week with actual build. Difficulty setting 4th or 5th. The problem is with sectoid terror ships - there is 7 or even more cyberdiscs on them, just in the first six months of the game. This could be acceptable in late game, but in the beginning it is just an overkill. First time i've met 7/8 cyberdics with 4 sectoids on the shot down ship (!), second time i've counted five discs just in the vicinity of avenger on terror site. During previous playthrough (a month ago) number of alien tanks was about 4-5 at maximum at the battle. Maybe it was just bad luck last time, but f it seems too much unfair for me now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:22:11 am by Aquarium »

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Sectoid Terror Ships
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
Purely depends on your difficulty level. The two highest have way more enemy units than the two lowest.

Offline Quixote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:18:39 pm »
If you play on a difficulty level named "superhuman", be prepared for a challenge :)

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:39:08 am »
Funny thing is...I don't remember the original game being that hard.  Probably because it really didn't have any other levels beyond the easiest one.  (Or something to that effect).

I played a terror mission back in January with a game date in January.  Fortunately I over packed the Skyranger cause I was surprised to see not 2, not 3, not 4, but 6 cyberdiscs in play!  I played desperate, pinging it with rifles down to emptying my spare clips in it.  Went back to the ranger and grabbed the dusty rocket launchers and fired them to the best effect I could.  Deployed every last one of my smoke grenades trying to get in close enough to damage them.  Tossed every grenade at them I could muster.  There is nothing worst than two cyberdiscs seemingly to work in tandem, let alone a third one that moved into location and openned fire unexpectedly.  Hit one, the other spun off reaction fire...it was horrible for my poor young squaddies and rookies.

That mission ended up killing my young xcom commander, and my two best shooters.  Much fun!

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:45:21 pm »
Superhuman level was disabled on classic XCOM after first battle mission, it was a bug: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Superhuman
Since in OpenXCOM this was fixed you got what do you want - nearly impossible terror missions in early stages. It's OpenXCOM, baby!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:47:19 pm by winterheart »

Offline Maw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 06:41:52 am »
Just quickly,

I remember David Ellis' Strategy Guide had stats on the #s of aliens in the missions (a table as I remember it).  Do the devs have access to this resource?

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:46:49 pm »
Cyberdisc explosions work both ways, they might kill your troopers but they also kill any hapless Sectoids standing next to them... ^^
And at least damages other Cyberdisc's